“Pretty good value holiday accommodation”
Review of Gum Grove Chalets

Gum Grove Chalets
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Denmark
Gum Grove Chalets
Ranked #16 of 33 Specialty Lodging in Denmark
Reviewed April 6, 2010

I booked a deluxe chalet at Gum Grove before reading the reviews here - it was one of the few places still available over the Easter break. Then I read the recent reviews and I feared the worst.

On arrival the office was unattended, but our key was left for us in the chalet. The chalet was clean, there was no insect problem (but fly swat and insecticide were provided), there was an anti-slip mat in the shower, and the beds were comfortable. Kitchen appliances were all new, and tea and coffee were provided. It certainly appears that most of the complaints raised recently have been addressed.

Sure, if you look close you might find some wear and tear or the odd bit of dust, but for basic affordable country accommodation this was just fine. The sign out front claimed an RAC 3 star rating and I think that's about right.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BVC2

Reviewed February 10, 2010

My friend and I were booked in for an 8 day stay but one night was more than enough.
On arrival we were confronted with the same problems mentioned by previous reviews, no one around to provide keys information etc.
Chalets absolutley filthy and layered in dust, the showers are a safety risk as they are extremely slippery when wet (go figure).
We had cockroaches all over the chalet.
We had booked last year for this trip and were very exited about our holiday until we arrived it was a huge disapointment to us and will only succeed in tarnishing the name of Denmark as a tourist centre.
Anybody thinking of staying here think very carefully.
This place needs to be inspected by the health department or shire "someone"

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
3  Thank HAS45
Reviewed January 24, 2010

I was more than disappointed with the conditions of Gum Grove Chalets.

Upon arrival, the whole place was deserted, our chalet was locked and there was no care-taker available. I had to call the owner who was in Perth to try and get it. He then proceded to give me the safe number to access the keys that way.

When we finally got in to our chalet it was musty, dirty, and run-down. There were cockaroaches in the bathroom, a thick cover of dirt and dust throughout the bathroom, stains on the carpets in the bedrooms, no available extra linen or pillows, filthy curtains and loungeroom furniture which was falling apart and very uncomfortable.

The windows were unable to be closed because they had rotted away, and so the rain and wind came howling into the rooms. The main bedroom door was falling off its hinges and after all the touble we had of cleaning the palce before we unpacked, we were still expected to strip our own linen, towls, and dispose of our own rubbish following our stay.

The TV was a wate of time, the remote controls didn't work, and the tv's reception was that awful we ended up switching it off for the whole stay!

The BBQ area was filthy left with empty gas bottles, so even if we had braved using it, we were unable to. The place was deserted. There was no one I could complain to, and no one to help answer my questions.

When I finally met the caretaker, the night before our departure (after a weeks stay), she was rude, unhelpful and claimed she works full-time at the local hosputal, so is unable to be on-site at all times.

While we were staying there, we met another couple who spent just the one night and they were as disgusted as us! They too believed it unacceptable for a historic set of chalets to be un-manned, and for guests to have to fend for themselves on their holidays!!!

My next visit to Denmark will not involve staying at Gum Grove Chalets! I will be much more comfortable and happier at the local caravan park who are more reasonable, much friendlier and 1000 times cleaner!

When I attempted to bring my issues up with the owner, I was told I was a lier, that the place was spotless, and had just been repainted and that I should expect much worse of a historical site. To this I was blown away! The owner lives in Perth, over 6 hours drive away, hewas not there to see the conditions and is obviously having some miscommunication or mistrust issues with his 'caretaker'. To his comment on the standards and age of the accomodation: I have stayed in numerous claets, caravan parks, hotels, motels and even tents and swags, and never, ever, have a I come across such poor maintenance and lack of interest in preserving Denmarks oldest chalets.

I was very disappointed with Gum Grove Chalets and will be warning people off wasting their money supporting them! It really dampened an otherwise wonderful trip to Denmark, in which we spent as much time AWAY from our chalet, only returning for sleep.

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank texasred8
Reviewed January 5, 2010

The Accacia chalet was clean, neat, tidy and perfect for a quiet weekend on the south coast. You don't expect white marble bench tops in a place like this, the unit was perfectly comfortable. The beds were all fine, extra pillows were available as was extra bedding for when it got cool in the evenings. The kitchen/Living area was rustic with the basic necessities. The fridge worked, the stove worked, the taps didn't drip the furniture didn't fall apart on us and the shower/bathroom facilities were fine. All in all a nice place to base yourself if staying on a budget. Well presented and not pretending to be something it isn't.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ski22
Reviewed May 3, 2009

Accomodation was very dirty did not appear to have been cleaned for months.
Pots, plates and cutlery had to be washed thoroughly before use.
Top of microwave was covered in greasy dust as was top of fridge. light switches and sockets were covered with grease stains from hands as were doors and kitchen tiles. We stayed one night although booked for four before escaping, we did not pluck up courage to use the shower.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank olddbmusic
Reviewed January 24, 2009

The chalet was older style but very clean and comfortable. New lounge, beds and carpets. Full of rustic charm. Gounds are lovely with playground for the children and a fantastic BBQ area. Close to the beach and town. Had a great stay thank you.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
2  Thank antix1
Reviewed January 8, 2009

We did leave our accomodation booking a bit late but nothing prepared us for the std of accom at the Gum Grove Chalet in Denmark.

Denmark is a beautiful place and there's lots to do so thankfully we have not needed to spend any time in the Chalet.

We arrived to a kitchen floor gritty from others dirt, bedroom carpet which has not been vacuumed in months and a bathroom with dirt and smears and hair on the floor. Not to mention someone else's toothpaste in the sink.

Our friends in the Chalet next door had it worse!... Hair on left behind soap; baby faeces on what should have been a clean white towel, and a toilet that smelled continuously of urine - nice.

With Denmark fully booked we could not move and so we have learned a valuable family lesson - we can live happily in sub-standard accomodation.

Even basic stuff doesn't work: a TV with no reception (too bad about the third test) and a fridge door that doesn't close.

You may feel this is a harsh review, but it is not, indeed it is thoroughly deserved and these people would do well fining some other job.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family