“Heaven on Earth”
Review of Chimes Spa Retreat

Chimes Spa Retreat
Reviewed December 28, 2010

This place is highly recommended for couples. My partner and I spent 2 nights there and did not leave the place as it was SO cosy and relaxing. It definitely had a very personalised feeling to it. There was a conservatory where you can come out to if you want a break from using the lovely spa in the room and watching (DVD and videos that are provided by Chimes) and it was not crowded with other guest at all. You can get a cup of coffee and tea (out of the many varieties left out for your indulgence) accompanied by to-die-for Brownies that are left out throughout the afternoon for all the guest. The conservatoty overlooks an amazing view of open fields and the beach. You can sit there and enjoy the scenery or relax over a game of chest as my partner and I did. There is so much more to say about this place but it is by far the best and most comfy Chirstmas holidays that we had. The owners were very pleasant and are were part of the reason the stay was so enjoyable. Will definitely be back again.. and may make this an annual if not frequent holiday destination to recharge and rekindle with the other half.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 12, 2010

I stayed here to re-charge my batteries. I went expressly to receive spa attention and have a short but quiet holiday.
Beautiful, hillside, country location. Probably best described as a B&B with a spa salon attached. As soon as you walk in, you can see the effort the owners go to to make it a peaceful and relaxed but friendly and homely environment.
Tip for overseas travellers and city dwellers: this is a Australian, country residence. On my visit, after a few showers, some tiny black ants came in from the rain. They (the ants) will not kill you! Just use the insect spray in the bathroom cupboard and they'll be gone when you come back.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed August 30, 2010

The rooms are large with the spa bath in one corner with a lovely veiw from the window of the garden. The Owners were great we had a lovely time. Plenty of things to do.
A lovely adult retreat. Will certainly go again.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 10, 2010

A friend and I stayed at Chimes for a girls weekend away. We noted that the website does state that it is designed for couples (even though they offer a girls weekend package), but even so, I am not sure of how many couples fancy an open bathroom that cannot be shut off from the main room. It was slightly uncomfortable for us when either of us wanted to use the amenities. Meaning one person had to go for a walk.. The gardens are quite outdated, and the pool just looked scary being fully enclosed in outdated glass sliding doors. There is no where to relax outside, and the rooms had a very similar feeling to my grandmother’s nursing home - long corridors, and bad art - just missing the name and photo of the person staying in each room on the door. I also wasn’t sure about the carpeted walls and ceiling in the atrium. And as for the lounge area – make sure you don’t sit on the owner’s dog that seems at home on the lounges. Personally we felt that Chimes is in need of a renovation and very overpriced for what you get. It is definitely more a B&B than “spa retreat”.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
5  Thank traveladdictsyd
Reviewed September 20, 2009

We arrived to a friendly welcome and the atmosphere was so relaxing and felt very comfortable. Our room was relaxing and very private, overlooking the gardens. The views were stunning. Enjoyed a massage, facial and steam deck, felt totally pampered and the music in the background was lovely. The staff were very discreet but always there when required. Everything one wanted was catered for and being able to come down to the lounge area and help ourselves to coffee and cake and enjoy the views, read or play games was great. The meals were fantastic, delivered to your room so could relax and sit back with a glass of wine in soft robes then jump in the spa. Romance was all the go. Only a couple of minutes drive from Denmark and not far from wineries and lots of tourist attractions. Will definately return to enjoy the pampering and made to feel special. Kane and Michelle have done a fantastic job.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 20, 2009

I mention in my reservation comments section that internet is critical and was reason I selected their location based on my research. (Please advise if any known issues for the room that I have selected). I have been all over Australia from Port Douglas Sydney Melbourne Mornington Peninsula and have zero issues with wireless or broadband service till I showed up and Chimes in Denmark. I get greated by Michelle owner with immediate comment about just reading my requirement request and no problem with your room etc.. Upon attempting to connect to service realized no signal in room and weak signal issue directly under wireless (Clearly Apple Router in Lobby). Kane other half of spouse ownership team then makes the typical remark about PC's are poor and see you can see my system...I take that as we say in the states was a gottcha. Yeah but I cant connect and I requested a heads up so I could avoid this issue that was important to me. Over all as others have said your choices in Denmark are limited so if your looking for a place to lay your head it works but 3 stars is a reach even with the great view from the common area.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank brooksconsulting
SWOzChimes, Owner at Chimes Spa Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded December 29, 2010

We provide a free wifi service throughout the building. On the occasion of this gentleman's visit there were a few problems with our ISP (Internet Service Provider) which were not corrected till after his departure. The problems were outside our control. There is a free internet wifi service 5 minutes from us with good coffee so I think his overall view was a bit harsh although we can understand his frustration.

Reviewed July 13, 2009

I went here with my wife and my parents around new year's, and we all loved this place. The place is pretty small, and extremely cozy. It has such a nice ambience - the beautiful flowers around the house, the dampened ambient music in the reception/breakfast area and the friendly owners doing their best to meet your demands.

The rooms were a pleasant surprise with a relatively large spa and the rooms also had a good size. The breakfast was nice and easily tailored to your needs. The view from the retreat is stunning with the hills and the ocean in the background. Awesome.

However, there is not much to do here, and you will need your car when you want to see something. Unfortunately, this also goes for dinners, where there is more or less only one choice within walking distance, as the retreat does not make dinners. Three days or so will be perfect, but after that you would probably start to get a bit bored...

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled with family