“Hotel or prison?”
Review of Shark Bay Hotel

Shark Bay Hotel
Ranked #3 of 4 Denham B&B and Inns
Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed here with a guest from England,in April 2013. having stayed the previous night at a bed and breakfast in Greenough, which was delightful, (and $15 cheaper!) it was like going from the sublime to the ridiculous.
It probably didn't help that when we arrived in the evening a raucous pre funeral party was taking place at the pub. my friend and I felt extremely vulnerable as at regular times throughout the night fights and arguments broke out right on the other side of our flimsy door that did not shut properly and looked as if at some time in the past had jemmied it open. There was an added little block of wood on the door, a very makeshift repair.
To give management their due they quickly refunded the money we had already paid for another two nights accommodation and they later offered us three free nights accommodation to be taken when we wished. However I have not wish to stay their again, the room was totally devoid of any character, indeed a prison cell would have been more interesting! There was only one towel each, no hangers in the wardrobe, packaged soap that looked as it had survived from the dark ages, no bed side tables, only one above the bed lamp worked, the sliding doors to the bathroom did not close properly so pulled one way you could see the person in the shower, pulled the other way you could see them on the toilet!
I have done several reviews for Tripadvisor and I think that I am a reasonable person when giving a review but this place was awful and it was an embarrassment for me to have taken my English friend there. My worse $110 ever spent.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 2, 2013

We stayed here between Xmas and New Years after buying it on scoopon. Long drive from Perth but definetly worth to see the crystal clear waters of denham. The sea food platter came with it was amazing. The rooms are fine it's not the ritz but doesn't pretend to be.
I think it was Krystal at reception?, well she was so friendly while we were there.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

We came by the Shark Bay Hotel for lunch this Thursday after a long trip up from Perth. As my husband and I weren't hungry, we opted to just have a drink and just get a kids meal for our 18 month old. First problem here was the Out of Order ATM, forcing you to spend a minimum of $15 per transaction to use the eftpos. We arrived at 1.30pm, and our son was refusing his snacks, so we were offered a seat in the empty restaurant area by a lovely kiwi lady. After a short wait for our son to get a little hungrier, we decided to order, as a large group had also come into the restaurant. I approached the counter at 1.50pm with the guy from tge large group placing his order first. I was told to please wait a moment whilst the lone barman completed their drinks order. After waiting 10 minutes, I was approached by a short lady who had clearly just returned from get break, and said that I couldn't order now as the kitchen was closed. I said I'd been waiting to place my order with the guy for over 10 minutes, and instead of confirming I'd been waiting behind the large group to order, the barman said, "oh yeah, kitchen closed at 2pm". I were disgusted at this lack of service as I only wanted a kids meal for my son, and I returned to my seat near the kitchen. Whilst I was sitting there talking with my husband about where to go next in town, two burgers came out for a table outside, and 10 minutes later the large tables order followed. The chef was out the door within 5 minutes of that. Noone can tell me that there was no way of completing our order, as the large groups ticket was on right before ours. It seems like the large group took precedence to a small family. They also saw we were refused food service and said they wouldn't be coming back either. Our money is as good as anyone elses, and we were very disappointed we were turned away, especially since we were in the restaurant before the large group.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 7, 2013

We stayed 3 nights, 2 in March 2013 and 1 night in April 2013. We had a wonderful stay, I could go for fish as the ocean was just across the road. The seafood platters were delicious, we highly recommend a stay at the Shark Bay Hotel.

Room Tip: Room 13 and 14 we stayed in were great
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Travel from Sydney, alone, bought 2 Scoopon value vouchers, stayed 6 nights, i was picked up at the Shark Bay airport by the hotel owner, a very nice and helpful man, seafood platter were lovely, generous and the wine from Margaret River was superb, helpful and friendly staff, lots of beautiful places to see, the hotel is right in front of the beautiful clear water that invites to swim in it, I had a memorable time, famous Monkey Mia is about 28 km away, the quad bike ride was fantastic and the Blue Lagoon Pearl Farm is something to see, at the hotel I felt safe, thank you Shane, Krystle, Cherryl and the rest of the staff....I'll return!!!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
SharkBayHotel, Manager at Shark Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2013

Hi timetoenjoy

Thanks for taking the time to write a great review for us!

6 nights is a perfect amount of time to spend in our lovely area of Shark Bay. We are very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and were able to experience some great things while you were here.

We look forward to your future visit!

Thanks again!

Reviewed April 2, 2013

The staff are very friendly and nothing was too much trouble. We found the rooms clean with basic necessities. We had two great seafood platters during our stay, very nice. Thank you Ben, Krystle and all the staff at the Shark Bay Hotel for making our stay over Easter a comfortable one.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple

Hi Waggy,

Thank you so much for the great review, it's always very good to hear when our guests enjoy their stay and for you to have enjoyed TWO seafood platters, I can imagine that would have been quite a memorable experience of your holiday to Shark Bay!

We hope to see you at The Old Pub in the future.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

we had such a beautiful stay at Shark Bay Hotel.
went with hubby, parents in law and my best friend.
the rooms were clean and tidy, comfortable, all you need with fridge and kettle for a cuppa. the location is just "WOW"
we had a beer with an amazing sunset, sitting outsite the pub.
when i asked for ordering our seafoodplatter and wine, we experinced a very special service and the seafood platter it self....OMG!!!!! never ever had such a nice dinner with good wine and such a great service! we had a nice chat with the beautiful staff. i really like to recommend the painting from gloria, great work!
shame we just could stay one night.
look forward to coming back.
thank you very much for such a great experience!
highly recommended!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
SharkBayHotel, Manager at Shark Bay Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Hi Jane,

Thank you so much for a great review! That seafood platter is a very popular item on our menu and it's easy to see why when you can take advantage of local seafood.

There is plenty to see in Shark Bay so I am glad that you and your family got a preview of the area and we look forward to seeing you back at the Old Pub!

Cheers

Also consider these accommodations in or near Denham
Heritage Resort Shark Bay
Wildsights Villas
Wildsights Villas
#4 of 4 in Denham
On the Deck at Shark Bay

Been to Shark Bay Hotel? Share your experiences!