“Average”

Public INN
Ranked #14 of 59 Restaurants in Castlemaine
Cuisines: Contemporary, Australian, Wine Bar
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Street Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Melbourne, Australia
“Average”
Reviewed September 2, 2012

My family and i went to Public Inn to celebrate my sister birthday which happened to fall on Bastille day.Ordered the Bastille day menu.

Pros:nice atmosphere, service good

Cons-French onion soup a tasted bit bitter,quite long gap between courses , i found '4' bones in my salmon!

It was just average for me and i personally believe that it's quite overrated. The price quite dear too.

1 Thank cinta_alamaya

Bendigo, Australia
“Yummy but expensive.”
Reviewed August 22, 2012

This is delicious food. But it is seriously expensive. I never like it when you have to order sides separately. But treat your tastebuds. The atmosphere is lovely, and the service is very good. I've been here a number of times.
I particularly like the wine selection. We live in an excellent wine region, and it should be showcased!! Try the Black Jack - you won't regret it!

Visited April 2012
Melbourne
“Country Grub?”
Reviewed July 28, 2012

No - this is Melbourne grub at it's finest in a gorgeous pub in Castlemaine - excellent wines, excellent beer, excellent food, professional staff, excellent decor but I think what's special about this place is the way it's all put together - very special experience!

Melbourne, Australia
“Good food, great service and nice atmosphere”
Reviewed July 21, 2012

The service at the Public Inn was excellent. Our waitress was knowledgeable, polite and friendly, unobtrusive but always attentive. Our mains were the highlight. A delicious duck confit and a porterhouse steak. We tried a few tasting plates all of which were very nice, fennel and chilli jam with cured pork; cloudy bay oysters and a scallop with orange gel. I enjoyed tasting a few different wines served from the barrel. The only let down for me was the dessert menu. I love dessert but the dessert menu did not appear to have the same attention to detail as the rest of the menu. I did have the affagato and my partner had 3 types of sorbet which were all lovely but just not exceptional like the rest of the meal.

Gippsland
“Unexpected gem”
Reviewed July 21, 2012 via mobile

Relaxed atmosphere, friendly service, we were warmed by log fires (yes, pleural) fabulous wine for starters. The menu catered all tastes & was so fresh, hot & flavorsome. Would certainly recommend for families (we had our 12 &15yr old with us) wine out of the barrel was a unique novelty. Would definitely go again.