“Great Time”

Ridgewood Cottages
Binbrook, Canada
“Great Time”
Reviewed September 19, 2013

Our family visited Ridgewood Cottages Aug 31-Sept 7/13 and had a great time. Our dog, Abner, came with us and he loved it too. The cottages are rustic, but very clean, and equipped with all the cooking essentials. The owners were very helpful and friendly, if you needed anything you just needed to ask. My father and I went out fishing and we caught many bass, no pickerel that week but there was a major weather change. I enjoyed kayaking and we saw plenty of wildlife, there was a red fox, chipmunks, red squirrels, blue jays, grey jays, chickodees etc. Our boat motor ran better than any motor we have ever used, it was super quiet, trolled like a dream, and was easy to start. The resort had nice docks and I caught tons of small bass (0.5-1lb) off them. To sum it up, this resort is ever bit as people have described...a 5+ in my opinion.

The Phinney and Kovacs Family

Room Tip: We had cabin 5 on the Lake and liked it
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
Ridgewood-Cottages, Owner at Ridgewood Cottages, responded to this review, September 21, 2013
Thank you for the great review Tracy!! We really enjoyed getting to know you and your family and hope that you can come back again sometime (Abner too, of course!!).

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Burlington, Canada
Reviewed August 24, 2013

I was shocked to read the negative review by Kevin P, I'm thankful we missed him by a week! All the guests were very friendly. Our 8 year old son enjoyed the play center the entire week and it didn't seem to have upset any of the guests. Mosquitos are a part of the great outdoors, we went prepared for them. Upon our arrival we were greeted by the very friendly hosts Laurie and Brian,they asked us to let them know if there was anything we needed and happily fulfilled all our requests. We were in cabin #4 and it was exactly as it appeared on the web site. Yes, they are "rustic" and the address is hwy 11 -no surprises. The cottage was bright, well equipped and absolutely spotless. It was nice not to spend time cleaning before we settled in. We enjoyed the starry nights, fires at night and the canoe portage to the beach that we had received excellent directions to. Our 8 year old son &14 year old daughter loved being there and were never bored. It was nice to relax and enjoy the family time together fishing, canoeing, going on hikes, sitting around the fire and watching the loons, wood peckers, beavers, frogs and giant toads. We would definitely return.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank holly o
Ridgewood-Cottages, Owner at Ridgewood Cottages, responded to this review, September 2, 2013
Thank you for the great review Holly! It was so nice to have you and your family up here and even better that there were other young teens for your son and daughter to hang out with. They all seemed to have such a great time. The hoots and hollers coming from the swimming raft make it all worth it.
Thanks again and we look forward to having you back next year!!
PADOVA, italy
Reviewed August 18, 2013

After returning from my fabulous one week holiday at Ridgewood Cottages on Angus lake, I decided to share my experience with the world here on Trip Advisor. After logging on and reading the review posted by Kevin, I wondered if we even went to the same place.

I rented cottage # 3 while my friends stayed in the cottage next door ( #4). We chose our cottages using the site map on their websites which shows where all the cottages are located in relation to the lake and the road (nice feature!). The cottages were rustic and surprisingly they were extremely clean. The beds were comfy, the weather was perfect and the fishing superb!

I enjoyed pickerel dinners almost every night with fish caught from Angus lake off the dock and by canoe. I rented a red fiberglass canoe that had a keel which made it very easy to steer even when the winds were strong, I even was given the option to rent a plastic flat bottomed canoe if I needed something a little more stable...but since I am an experienced canoeist I went with the fiber glass. My friends and I canoed to the beach on Jumping Caribou and crossed the easy 20 meter portage. The beach was private, magical and not one other person or boat in sight - there was a fire place too! Amazing. We roasted wieners and played Frisbee. The rest of the week we spent tanning on the dock, hiking to the fire tower in Temagami, canoeing, enjoying campfires, listening to the loons, woodpeckers, birds and even seeing some grouse and rabbits! What a week! Oh, and I forgot to mention the most amazing thing... I saw a moose head swim across the lake at 6 30 am one morning. Incredible!

My friends and I have been vacationing in the north for 30 years now and have not have the same experience anywhere else. The staff/owners, Lori and Bryan, were incredibly accommodating and they were always asking if I needed anything, bringing me fire wood and chatting with me! I felt like family.

I will definitely be returning on a yearly basis!!!

Room Tip: I would choose cottage # 1 (if by myself) or cottage # 2 (if with all my friends again).
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Amy M
Thank you for your kind words and we truly value the comments our customers post. We are always striving to get better and to improve the experience here in Northern Ontario. Your comments about the location of each cottage on the website was truly valuable. We will be sure to update that with any changes/additions in the future.
We look forward to having you back.
Windsor, Canada
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I recently stayed here after reviewing many possibilities for a vacation and I am deeply disappointed in the complete property and cottage #6. Upon arrival I was surprise that the location was so close to the highway so that we could here the heavy hauler trucks constantly. Upon reaching our so called private cottage #6 i was surprised as the photos do not accurately depict the property at all. There was no clear view of the lake due to the numerous trees outside of the window. The screened in porch at #6 had a gap at the bottom of the door approx 2 inches and the door sweep wasn't even on the door. Holes in the wood were cover with duct tape( another great use) , the screen had duct tape over several holes. Fortunately their were no little children around playing in the play ground approx 20 feet outside our so called private cottage As result we had to burn mosquito coils everyday until we left. There was no wild life to be found , no birds , no fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i saw one fellow catch two pickeral in 5 days of fishing in a boat totally equipped with fish finder etc. The boats were ok but a week rental to fish a lake that is fished out is robbery. The canoes are cheap and very unsteady and the portage is a joke. Along with the instructions to find the so called sandy beach. I can go on and on about the place so if you truly want a vacation where there is literally nothing to do and i mean nothing this is the place. The price is utterly ridiculous for what they have to offer and for the first time this is the worst place I have ever been on vacation to and has left a bad taste regarding the cottage industry and fishing industry in northern Ontario. Beware the website doesn't truly reflect the property. Very very disappointed and will never return as while in the area doing nothing at this place I scouted area other locations that put this place to shame!!!!!

Room Tip: avoid the place
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Kevin P
Ridgewood-Cottages, Owner at Ridgewood Cottages, responded to this review, August 17, 2013
We are deeply saddened that your experience here was less than you expected. Our website truly reflects our offerings as evidenced by previous reviewers. We understand that Northern Ontario and the attraction of the great outdoors is not for everyone. We provide clean and comfortable yet rustic cottages and are still in the process of upgrading each one since we took over ownership in 2011. In fact, if you had pointed out the door sweep issue, we certainly would have fixed it immediately and provided you with complimentary firewood or restaurant coupons for our local restaurants (to compensate you for any inconvenience). The screens in the porch of #6 were all recently replaced in the spring of 2013, however we would have replaced them again (and not used duct tape) if that had missed our weekly inspection. For people who enjoy fishing, canoeing, kayaking and the camping experience with the comforts of home, Ridgewood is exactly what they expect.
Burk's Falls, Canada
Reviewed July 9, 2013

Where to begin!!!......We were looking for a relaxing, quiet getaway for me, my husband and 13 year old daughter. We found this place online and lucked out they had a vacancy. Note in july and august you have to book sat-sat. We arrived to the nicest people you will ever want to meet. They felt like family. Lori is just a delightful person. She knew my daughter was 13 and already had the Wifi code written down. We rented a two bedroom cottage on the water with a loft. It had a bbq, firepit and dock. We also rented a motor boat for fishing. As soon as we walked into cottage we felt at home. It is rustic. If you are looking for hilton - go elsewhere..but it is clean and comfortable. memory foam on the beds, equipped kitchen. Looking out it was like paradise. We explored temagami (don't go to chinease food place) but mostly we stayed at resort. Pleasant neighbours. We fished! We caught so many fish we threw most of the huge pickeral back in the lake. At one point we caught two fish at one time. There was nobody out there. Quiet and peaceful. I almost don't want to give these people a perfect rating because we don't want it to be discovered!!! BUT these people deserve it. We have already booked another week. If you want relaxation, nice people and a gorgeous natural setting. Sounds weird but I almost cried when we left...it was THAT wonderful.... Just go.....

Room Tip: We love Cabin #3 it has a nice deck and view of the sunset.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank burksfallsfamily
Thank you so much for the great review!! We are so happy to know that you truly enjoyed the northern experience and that you chose us to host your vacation!
We hope to see you again soon!
Stoney Creek, Canada
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Beautiful location, clean rooms and friendly staff. I stayed for a week with a few friends we were all very satisfied. I most enjoyed the swimming in the lake and the camp fires at night. I could definitely see myself returning to Ridgewood again someday.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Myles D
Oshawa, Canada
Reviewed August 27, 2012

WOW>> We just got back from our first family vacation.What a great time..The lake is beautiful, the staff at Ridgewood Cottages were great. They were super friendly. There was also a mixture of guests there when we were there and they also were great.. everyone talked to each other, the kids played together(sometimes even the big kids) I really just have to say the holiday was awsome..Will definetly will be going back and this time we will be staying longer.... it is a dog friendly place and I have dogs,there was not a lot of barking and everyone cleaned up..the dogs also had a great time.Thank you to all the staff (and guests) for the great time...see you soon....

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family