“Great memories!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Temagami
Ojibway Family Lodge
Ridgeland, Mississippi
“Great memories!”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

I visited Ojibway while my brother was in Keewaydin camp when I was young - I have great memories of the pristine woods and cabins with no electricity! Oil lamps, as I recall. We were flown up in a private plane and I remember being so excited to go to a place in the woods with no TV or telephones. ( I loved the woods). The Reimers family was so gracious to invite us up and help orient us to the life on the island. I caught lots of Northern Pike and bathed in the cold water in the sea, which I loved. The amenities are probably a little more modern this day and age but I could have stayed there for weeks, even with few modern conveniences.. This is a great place to visit and fun for kids - the camp is fantastic but pretty strenuous ( according to my brother). If you love beautiful, pristine places, this is a great choice!

Room Tip: All the cabins are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Tanya M, General Manager at Ojibway Family Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
Please come and visit us again! You will find small changes at Ojibway but most of what you remember: cold lake water, kerosene lamps and the woods pristine remain.

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Jackson, Mississippi
Reviewed February 28, 2013

If you are looking for a place to decompress then Ojibway is the place to go. I have been visiting this island (we are from MS) since childhood and my husband and I took our children there for the first time in 2006. It is located on the opposite end of Devil's island from Camp Keewaydin which is a girls and boys canoe tripping camp. Many camper parents and former campers and their families stay at Ojibway to see their children paddle in or they just come back to relax. Our son will be back for his 3rd summer so we are planning to return in August to see him come back from 6 weeks in the canadian woods. There are so many reasons we love this place. Since there is no electricity or cell service, it gives us a chance to get away from the telephone and the tv. We can actually take our minds off of things and relax and enjoy one of the purest and most beautiful places you will find. Internet has made it to the island so you are not completely out of touch but discreet use of computers is preferred and its available in only a few areas of the island. We love the cabins which are rustic but very comfortable. The majority of the cabins have full baths and screened porches overlooking the lake. We did some fishing, a lot of swimming, canoeing and spent time in the lodge visiting with other guests, playing games or reading. Ojibway can also outfit you for a camping trip or a picnic lunch for a day trip on the lake which we have done on several occasions. We so love the cabin service everyday and eating in the family dining room with other guests. Even though Ojibway shares the island with a summer camp, it is open to anyone that wants to visit and is a great place for families. There are no planned activities for guests so you are free to do as little or as much as you would like. We found that our children did not miss their video games or TV at all and were content with whatever was going on that day. They made friends with other children there and they always found ways to entertain themselves. Ojibway is one of kind and we plan to return for many years to come.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

2 Thank 1965LLC
Tanya M, Manager at Ojibway Family Lodge, responded to this review, March 20, 2013
I appreciate the time you took to write such a detailed explanation of Keewaydin and Ojibway. We certainly believe we are unique and offer guests a real chance to leave their regular lives behind and enjoy the peace and quiet at Ojibway. I look forward to your visit again this summer.
Reviewed July 25, 2012

My husband and I stayed at Ojibway for 4 days after dropping our boys off at Keewaydin Ojibway for 3 weeks.

He location was pristine! Picture perfect views wherever we turned!!

Our accommodations were perfect! Rustic cabin on the quiet island. We stayed in Red Pine which was one of the many cabins that an be found on the island. Our cabin had its own bathroom and shower. Propane lights were in perfect condition. Cabin was clean and well cared for.

Sandy the manager was wonderful as were all of her staff. The food was fantastic as was the service.

We're returning in August for another 4 days when we pick up our boys!

Definitely a place to visit if you're up in Ontario!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank MeeshaMB
Thank you for your kind words. I certainly feel that Ojibway is "a little piece of heaven" - a place to be away from the hustle of your everyday life and to enjoy the views and vistas on Lake Temagami. I hope we will see you again soon.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

We have been to Ojibway many times. It began as a camp for adults whose children were campers at Keewaydin Camp for Wilderness Canoe Trips Keewaydin for boys, and Songadeewin, the girls' camp, are on the south end of Devil's Island on Lake Temagami, Ontario. The family camp, Ojibway, is on the northern end of the island. It is about a 5-10 minute walk between the ends of the island. Nowadays many come who are not affiliated with Keewaydin and these couples and families enjoy the same low-key, rustic but peaceful vacation.
There is no electricity on the island, but the kitchen generators create wonderful meals. The cabins have one or two bedrooms, kerosene and propane lighting. Most have hot showers, sink and toilet. Many of the cabins, and the main lodge and dining room, face west so the evening sunsets are fabulous.
This is the best vacation for wives and mothers, for there are no chores. The bells ring for each meal, one eats, enjoys coffee, tea or decaf (at breakfast, lunch and dinner respectively) and then you leave. No menu planning, shopping, cooking or cleaning up!
Activities are low-key: one can paddle in canoes or kayaks, swim, walk, climb Devil's Mountain, read, play board games, bird watch or fish. If you want to do some canoe camping, you need to let them know a couple of days in advance. You can request a box lunch if you want to paddle to a nearby cove.
This is our favorite place to relax and really get "away from it all."

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family