“sweet serenity”
Review of Ravenscroft Lodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Temagami
Ravenscroft Lodge
Reviewed June 15, 2011

What a great place, quiet solitude, the leaves starting to change, wildlife to watch. who could ask for anything more? The cottages were rustic but clean, which just added to the old world charm and experience. The hosts were friendly and welcoming and more then accomodating. The food was hardy with HUGE portions, not once did we go away from the dining room wanting. would i recomend a stay? ABSOLUTELY!

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
22  Thank mshippiesunshine

Reviewed February 21, 2011

Been going up to Ravescroft and the Temagami area fairly regularly for many years now. Although I have visited there all seasons. Fall is one of my favorite when the tree are turning colour. Ravenscroft Lodge is really nice place for a hunting / fishing lodge. One of the better places I have seen in the area. The rooms and cottages are a bit rustic but clean. Julie is really good cook and if you meet Joe you will see he is the walking endorsement for the kitchen.

Now for the important stuff fishing!!!. I cant say I caught fish every single time I took the boat out over the years but I bet I am in the 95%+ that I have caught fish so in my opinion the fishing is great. Jumping Caribou is not a huge lake but decent size and does not seem to be too trafficked. It's possible to find a bay or cove to drop anchor and not have to worry about being crowded and enjoy the piece and quiet. I have personally seen 2 18-20lb ish pickeral come out of the lake over the years unfortunately not caught by me though. Better luck next time. Some good size lake trout and pike though along with a good number of small mouth and pickeral.

If your looking for a bit of quiet and fishing or just to get away your not going to go wrong staying at Ravenscroft.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends
31  Thank Travel2FishCalgary
Reviewed February 7, 2011

HI there.

I am a business owner in ALBERTA and i will tell you something. I have always enjoyed myself for the last 20 years when going up to Ravenscroft Lodge.
Joe and Julie have always went out of there way to please the customers. They work hard and have the best home cooked food. Its cooked fresh everyday. The fishing and boating in the summer is great. In the winter the icefishing, and al the winter sports is very fun.
I love going into my cottage and warming up with the nice cozy fireplace. This is the wilderness and yet this lodge offers so many wonderful luxuries.
I look forward to visiting the lodge very soon. I have referred many friends to Ravenscroft lodge and continue to do so. I had a blast playing pool, in the hot-tub and watching the game on the large screen TV.
Thanks Joe and Julie for being such wonderful and caring hosts.
Take care.

Susan Horvath
Edmonton Alberta
Canada

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
32  Thank Albertatraveller45
Reviewed February 7, 2011

Just before we left home I came across the review by Mr Brown of Ravenscroft Lodge and I was very apprehensive to go there. Nevertheless we had paid a deposit, so we went.

Here is my review of the place:

We had to carry our luggage to the cottage but that was not a big deal. If you had a 4 wheel drive you could drive to them, but we did not have one. First thing I did we checked for mouse dropping and so on, we did not find any.All was clean, bathroom, kitchen, bedrooms. Sheets, pillows and towels were all OK.
Our first meal was Snitzel dinner, and yes, you can call it greasy, but so is Kentucky Fried Chicken, and regardless we liked it. Nobody got sick. My son asked for a second piece and Joe had another one fried for him. The second night we had cabbage rolls and the 3rd night we had roast beef. They both were fine, not greasy, and I have to admit the roast beef was better then my wife cooks at home ( I would not tell her that). Now for the icefishing: The fishing shacks were fairly large. There was some cigarette butts and beer caps left behind under the benches frozen in ice it would take major effort to scrape those out. Obviously it was fishermen who left it. There was a gallon size can for ashtray, that is what we used for our smokes. It was OK. We did catch lake trout ( 3 ), it was out of season so it had to go back, 9 pickerel and 5 white fish between the 3 of us. Other groups were doing way better then us, but that's fishing. We used their sauna at the main lodge one night, it is adry sauna, it was great after fishing all day!

In summary we found Joe and Julie very hospitable and easy going. When I asked Joe said they purchased Ravenscroft 20 years ago.

We liked the place and I have not hesitate to recommend it to others.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with friends
34  Thank cgombie1978
Reviewed January 20, 2011

The Ravenscroft lodge is the WORST place I have ever stayed. When we arrived the owner Joe collected our money first not a good sign, then he told us to carry our bags down the ice path to our cottage. Once there, the cottage door was partly open for us. This was not a nice jester but rather a door that would not shut.... Then we went inside to the rooms.... We found mice feces in every room including on the sheets of 2 beds, and not just one or 2 pebbles of feces, but full of it. Then we heard mice running around in the walls. It was not a good sleep with the thought of mice running across our faces. We did the american package; what a mistake! Very greasy food that upset every one of our 8 mens' stomaches. The whole point of our trip was to fish, but Joe has not moved his huts once this year. They were very dirty and he had the 100lb propane tank in the hut which I am pretty sure is illegal. We caught a total of 9 fish between 8 guys in 3 days of fishing. I will never go back there and do not recommend anyone else go there.

25  Thank mrbrownstone420