“Beautiful Island and comfortable Hotel”

The White House Hotel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Herm
Reviewed September 7, 2013

I booked a Sunset Sailaway break for my fathers 80th Birthday present, this was really good value and a huge success. Herm Island is wonderful, and the Hotel is a lovely relaxing place to stay. We spent a day on Shell beach with borrowed (from the hotel) fishing nets exploring the rock pools and swam in the aqua water. The hotel has a pool which my daughter enjoyed, however she was the only child staying and I got the impression the hotel is more catered towards the older generation...
I would definitely return.

• Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Clare D
HermIsland, Director of Hospitality at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 9, 2013

Dear Clare D,

Very many thanks for your review of the White House Hotel.

We are delighted that your break was so excellent for you all, and that your father enjoyed his 80th birthday on Herm Island.

Herm is ideal for children, and we certainly have a lot of families that stay during the school holidays. We do find that, outside school holidays, the age of our guests increase, as we often find that visitors during those times have children that have grown up. Its a great time for pre-school children also!

We very much look forward to welcoming you all back to the White House in the future.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

One can't argue that the hotel is set in a great location with the added bonus of a front lawn that has views over the sea to Guernsey so you can actually watch your boat arriving from across the water. We stayed in room 16 which was ideal for us, a family of 4 (2 young girls under 10). Clean and with a generous amount of storage space for the size room. It is described as having a sea view - well, in estate agent speak they are correct but, the only way you can see the sea is if you stand to one side of the single window and crane your neck across the outside garden. The girls had a separate bunk bed room from the adults which was great from everyone's point of view. The lack of a TV in the room was not a problem and during our two night stay was not mentioned once, even by our tv addict younger child.
The hotel pool was great, measuring about 25 ft long and roughly kidney shaped and no deeper than 5ft. If you have younger children (below teenage) the facility is great. For adults the pool is a lovely way to cool down too. There is free tea and coffee for residents throughout the day from the in-house Monks Bar next to the pool area. There is also free tennis with a selection of racquets Inc junior racquets. The court is tarmacked and is in a perfectly acceptable condition for those who want to take it a little more seriously!
So far so good. However, whilst the hotel grounds are lovely and the staff are helpful and smiley, we found the service from the kitchen to be chaotic.
Considering the spiel is that residents from Guernsey make a point of coming to the island for the food we were very disappointed by the fare we were presented with.
Apart from breakfast time (which is largely self service) we were served with the wrong food at every meal. First night our children were served with he wrong pasta dish but the girls had started eating before we realised so we did not mention it. My wife was served at this same meal with a vegetarian dish which had it's base vegetable delivered essentially uncooked. The food has a feeling of being dated and doesn't have a healthy feel at all (lovely fresh courgettes in batter? No thanks). We are not saying the food tastes bad but the price one is paying is not reflected in the quality of the product. I do not get excited by seeing chips with the vast majority of dishes. On the second night when i asked to have the steak dish with mash potatoes instead of chips, i still got chips. At lunch next day my wife was served with a prawns and chorizo dish instead of the vegetarian dish she had asked for. The food chaos even extended to the neighbouring Mermaid Tavern which served us mussels instead of fish cakes but that is another story.
In the end we found it quite humourous but, for people who enjoy their food, we found the whole food experience very underwhelming. Yes, we ate with our children in the Ship Inn Restaurant but much fanfare is made of the fact that the food is still produced by the same kitchen that serves the smarter conservatory restaurant.
On arrival we had some difficulty in getting the message across that we actually wanted to eat with our children and nit seoaratlyand in an informal environment. It was only after we kept asking questions that we were offered the chance to eat with them in the Ship Inn Restaurant!
a final word of caution when booking on line if you have kids is the price originally quoted does not include the children and although you are redirected to a separate page it is not evident how much extra it will cost you. We eventually booked on the phone directly with the hotel and were shocked by the difference in the price. when we queried this we were told the website makes this clear. We beg to differ.
It may sound we are moaning minis considering the rave reviews the hotel has had but we DID enjoy our stay. Herm and the hotel is lovely and relaxed and we would love to return BUT the thought of going to dinner with a sinking heart each night is not one to draw us back in a hurry. May be we should camp next time?!

1  Thank Siouville4
HermIsland, Director of Hospitality at The White House Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Siouville4,

Many thanks for your review of the White House Hotel.

We're delighted to hear that you have enjoyed your recent stay on the Island, albeit with some issues relating to the dining in the Hotel.

I was sorry to learn that each dining experience in the Conservatory and the Ship Inn brought differing concerns. I am not clear as to your reference of chips with each meal, as the Conservatory does not serve chips with any dishes unless specifically asked for. I suspect that the steak dish was that served in the Ship Inn, and am disappointed to learn that your request for an alternative accompaniment was ignored.

The rate for children's charges in the Hotel are an issue that we are currently looking into formulating in a slightly different manner, as they are not as clear as they could be. The online booking portal does guide the user to rate percentages, but at this moment in time, calling the Hotel is the best option. We are currently working with developers to change our online booking portals, which will go live before Christmas, and certainly ahead of next season.

I'm sorry that your visit was affected by some shortcomings in food service, this is not a reflection of the standard that we aspire to, or indeed, deliver on most occasions. We would certainly be delighted to see you return to Herm, and would welcome you to contact me personally, where i would be happy to handle your reservation. I am confident that we can restore your faith in dining at the White House Hotel.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We are regular visitors to Herm and decided to splash out on a meal at the Conservatory Restaurant in order to celebrate our daughter's GCSE results. Unfortunately, the evening was spoiled by overall poor service.

I hasten to add that the service at the table was very good but like a previous reviewer, as there was a large boatload of visitors in the Ship Inn next door we waited nearly an hour for our main course. The food was good quality bit struggled to live up to top prices. The regional French wine was excellent and very reasonably priced.

What really spoiled it for me was that we had asked both when booking and when arriving for a child portion for our 11 year old. This was met with a derisory comment on booking that the restaurant didn't serve chicken nuggets (it was never my intention to pay top whack for chicken nuggets!) and ignored when the bill came despite admission that the meat portion was smaller. I had to argue the toss about this with the receptionist and refused twice to see the manager. Eventually the situation was discussed with the head of front of house and only resolved at my insistence.

Even when leaving, the exit was not lit and it was difficult to negotiate the steps to and from the front door.

Overall, made to feel a bit 2nd class and not very welcome.

Would not repeat the experience in a hurry.

2  Thank Tim F

Dear Tim F,

Thank you for your review of dining at the White House Hotel.

I was sorry to learn of your experience whilst dining at the Hotel, particularly as it proved to spoil the evenings celebrations of your daughters GSCE results. Congratulations to her on her achievements.

It was good to hear that the service in the restaurant was good, and that the food was good quality. Once again, we apologise for any undue wait between courses, we will investigate the cause, as this has consistently not occurred during the season.

As a regular visitor to the Island, I am confident that you are aware that this is an exception to our normal level of customer service. I am sorry that we let you down on this special occasion, but would welcome you to contact me personally when making a future reservation on the Island in order that I can ensure your needs are well catered for.

Best regards

Reviewed August 31, 2013

We've stayed many times at The White House and had an enjoyable time. We did this time too but seemed to encounter quite a few niggles.
For the first 24 hours of our stay (we were on the top floor of Mermaid Cottage) we had to edge past a Henry vacuum cleaner and a pile of dirty bed linen that was left at the bottom of the stairs. The pool ran out of beach/pool towels on the first day we were there. We also heard other people asking for towels. What towels that were offered appeared to be ones left behind by previous guests. When the room was cleaned on the first occasion, the dirty mugs (two...even though we were a family of four) were taken away and not replaced.
I would agree with a previous commentator who said the staff were hit and miss. When I went to Reception to pick up our ordered Guernsey Press I was told it hadn't arrived. I could quite clearly see the papers behind the receptionist and said I could. Without turning to look round at that she replied they were the day before's papers. Accepting defeat, I sloped off, checked on the Internet what the front cover of the Press looked like, saw it was the same as the one behind the receptionist and returned for Round Two. This time she shrugged her shoulders, said she didn't think the Press had come in and semi-apologised before handing one to me.
I know it's a really small thing to bring up but it's the little things that could be such quick wins for the hotel.
We also heard staff making snide remarks to each other as they passed about how they couldn't do two things at once and such like. It just gave the impression that the staff were a bit of a hodge modge of enthusiasm this year...something we had never really noticed in previous years.
So, in conclusion. We still love you White House but please could you try harder...you're getting a bit worn around the edges. Thank you!

Room Tip: Opt for rooms in Foxglove Cottage or the main hotel itself as those in Mermaid Cottage suffer from t...
2  Thank Giverny

Dear Giverny,

Very many thanks for your review of the White House Hotel.

We're delighted that you enjoyed your most recent visit, but must apologise for the oversights that you encountered during your stay. Housekeeping are usually very careful in clearing walkways whilst they are servicing rooms, but we are sorry that this occasion that this was not done. Pool towels too should be available at all times.

The team this year have been very good on the whole, but we fully understand your comments regarding inconsistency. We do work very hard to ensure that this does not occur, and will discuss this widely among the team.

Very many thanks for your constructive comments, we appreciate very much being able to understand anything that we can do to improve our customer service.

Reviewed August 31, 2013 via mobile

My partner and I travelled to Herm with no intention of staying the night but decided to be spontaneous and popped into The White House on the off chance to see if they had any rooms free. Luckily for us we were offered a room with a balcony and sea views at a price we couldn't turn down!
Room was well maintained with a comfortable bed. I liked the old fashioned radio above the bed.
We enjoyed sunset drinks sitting outside in the gardens looking out over Guernsey.
The bar area is very cozy and well stocked with board games.
Breakfast was very generous and a real highlight. The best I've had at any hotel for a long time.
Be aware that if you wish to eat dinner in the restaurant in the evening you'll need to dress for the occasion.
Overall a fantastic stay. We'll be returning soon!

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank Elle L
Reviewed August 29, 2013

My wife treated me to a 60th Birthday break for 5 nights and the experience was fabulous. Herm is a beautiful place just off Guernsey and a pleasant 20 minute trip by small ferry. We stayed half board in a separate cottage (room 50) just a few paces from the hotel reception. The room is light and airy and large with a great ensuite. It is great that there are no TV's and WiFi so no contact other than mobile phones. Relaxing! Service in the hotel was first class and very friendly and the food was as good as we have had anywhere. Prices in the Bistro next to the Hotel were sensible and the menu was varied and great value with some great cooking on top. The island is small but perfectly formed and we walked around the island every day which if you dont stop and take in the views, which you will, it takes about an hour and a quarter. There is a great view around every corner and there are a lot of corners! In two locations there are beachside refreshment cafe's which supply everything fresh and very tasty. Flapjack is great! The beaches are beautiful and clean and deserted so if you want to get away from other people then this is a place to go. Similar to the Scilly Islands off Cornwall. There is also a cluster of shops which sell everything you will need and more and have a great range of clothes and gifts which are quality and not the usual tat! Guernsey is a 20minute trip away but we went on a sunday which meant most shops were closed. We had lunch in a harbourside restaurant/ Shack which was great. The most endearing memories of our vist were the Hotel, the service and the food which was of a very high standard and of course the scenery which is stunning. Our compliments to the team and we look forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future. Jeff

Room Tip: We had room 50 which is a cottage on its own and was beautiful.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Knocker7653
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Just returned from a weekend break at the lovely White House Hotel where once again my sister and I were spoilt rotten by the lovely staff there! Special thanks to Ines, Jake and the lovely girls on the reception for all they do to ensure that you are well looked after!!!!
Stayed in a different room this time and as I expected, it was as nice as the others I've stayed in before! Very large and kept very clean by the girls.
What can I say except that we look forward to returning next summer!!!
A big thanks to EVERYONE XX

Room Tip: Stayed in three different rooms now and all were lovely.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank LINDACATS
Also consider these accommodations in or near Herm
The Old Government House Hotel & Spa
#1 of 9 in St Martin
Hotel Bella Luce
Hotel Bella Luce
#2 of 9 in St Martin

Been to The White House Hotel? Share your experiences!