“Not up to the usual standard :(”

Tolman Cafe & Bay View Restaurant
Good for: Large groups, Scenic view, Families with children, Local cuisine
Description: Coastal view kitchen established in 2017, evolved from Tolman cafe and bay view restaurant.. a small restaurant located in Old town, St mary's, Isles of Scilly. Chef owned and run Coastal view kitchen is committed to making some of the finest and freshest food on the island. Open seasonally throughout the summer from 11am-10pm everyday. The small menu consisting of locally sourced vegetarian, seafood and a large selection of daily specials which include some meat.. this enables the chefs to evolve the menu according to the time of year, seasons, availability of ingredients, fresh local catch or particular meats. The restaurant has views over looking the bay of Old town with a large outdoor seating area to enjoy freshly made cream teas in the day time or a nice local ale and evening meal as sundown approaches. Booking recommended to avoid disappointment. The team look forward to seeing you soon.
Reviewed June 15, 2014

Was really looking forward to lunch and cake here as it was so good last year. However this year it was a huge disappointment. None of our group liked there meals but by the time our food arrived we were just too hungry to complain. Lots of plates being taken away half full and most of the staff looked thoroughly miserable.
Doubt ill be visiting again until the reviews change

4  Thank Tweetie84

Reviewed June 13, 2014

Have been meaning to write about this since our return from the Scillies a few weeks ago. We were found a table for 9 at short notice, and even though it was busy, the quality of the food was not compromised. Most of us had fish and it was wonderful, and good attention to details. The chef spoke tp us afterwards and he was so friendly and helpful.

The only criticism I would have was that a couple of the young staff needed a bit of training, as they did forget things and getting the bill at the end was not easy. However, this was easily the best meal we had anywhere on the island. Do Go.

1  Thank Laurar50
Reviewed June 9, 2014

Booked in for an evening with friends and experienced the best meal we had during our stay on the isle,service was excellent,and it was a pleasure to dine here.There were four of us and we all had different starters and mains and all were superb,for myself the lobster bisque was as good as any I had in Portugal or Spain,I would recommend this restaurant for a great night out.We walked from Hugh Town through the Nature trail no more than 20 minutes on a warm evening and had the free taxi service back which the restaurant provide.I hope we return one day and this will be the first place we visit,,the chef also took the time to talk about the various dishes and could not have been more accomodating,we wish we had found this place earlier.

Jim D

1  Thank jimdCheltenham
Reviewed June 8, 2014

Me and my boyfriend came to eat here as we had heard very mixed reviews by locals and thought we would try it for our selves. Its in a nice location, quite private.

I had a brie toastie with extra chips and my boyfriend ordered a breakfast. The meals were nice and the side salad dressing was really good. My boyfriend said the breakfast was ok. our meals came out at different times which was annoying. but food was good we ate it all.

They had 2 staff member on a younger man and an elder one - I think he was the manager.
The elder one was a little more chatty and welcoming. We didn't really feel that welcome until we came to pay the bill and that when he started talking to us.

The cakes looked nice and there was a good verity of food on the menu. I think they could do with friendlier staff with a more welcoming vibe. It felt like they where trying to be city modern and formal and it comes out cold.

I think if we go back we will go in the evening to try the meals as it seems more of an evening place to eat. the tables were set nicely, the cakes are also all on display and looked nice, I've been told by a tourist the doughnut is nice so will go back and give it another chance.

1  Thank Claire E
Reviewed June 7, 2014

Revisited this café in Old Town, St Mary's. Have only visited for late morning coffee and cakes or light lunch so unable to comment on the evening meals. The setting is exquisite and have enjoyed excellent sandwiches and cakes, and other light meals being served looked great. Don't forget to go inside to order as the sign advising this is easily missed and you may otherwise sit for a long time (other customers usually come to your rescue). Apart from that the service is very friendly. Don't miss if you are walking along the coastal route.