“Best-smelling hotel ever!”

Balneario de Mondariz
Ranked #4 of 28 Hotels in Pontevedra
“Best-smelling hotel ever!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2012

I've visited the Balneario a number of times on business and have always had a very good experience. My most recent visit was in November 2012 and I stayed 2 nights, flying in and out of Vigo airport. First impression of the hotel is the wonderful smell as you walk into reception - I think it's from the spa, but of course it could always be a spa-type spray. Either way, it's lovely and very relaxing.

The hotel staff - in reception, housekeeping and the bar/restaurant - are all very friendly. I speak Spanish, but I've seen that a number of the staff speak English, and I think that English visitors, who are still quite rare, would be made very welcome. The downstairs area in the main building is set up as a lounge, with huge comfy sofas and lots of pictures of the Balneario's fascinating history (you'll find pictures all over the place of its heyday at the beginning of the 20th century and they are very evocative, even if the Edwardian bathrooms are a bit scary looking - I definitely preferred my modern one!). The lounge is a terrific place to sit, relax, read, and enjoy a beer, a coffee or something stronger from the bar. On warm days, they open up the terrace overlooking the pool and that's also a lovely place to sit.

The rooms are elegant and very clean. The ones in the tower and overlooking the rear are larger and brighter, and the larger ones have a seating area with sofa and armchair. The bathrooms are clean with an excellent shower and good quality complementary toiletries. Towels are a bit scratchy and thin - but this has been my experience in most of the Spanish hotels I've stayed in. At least you get to exfoliate!

Food is very good indeed. Breakfast is a buffet, with a range of fresh fruit, cold meat, local cheeses (try the smoked San Simon - my favourite - or the creamy tetilla), cereals, pastries, plus a quasi-English cooked breakfast, which I've never tried, but seems very popular with Spanish guests. The evening menu always combines locally-sourced Galician produce (try the lamprey when they are in season) with more cosmopolitan fare. If caldo gallego (Galician bean broth) is on the menu, try it - it's delicious and very warming in the winter. And if you get the chance to try the licores at the end of the meal, I recommend the licor de hierbas (luminous green) or the coffee liquor, which is sweet and very moreish. After all, you will only have to stumble upstairs afterwards...

The town of Mondariz Balneario is very quiet and tranquil, with lots of lovely local walks along the River Tea. Cross the road to the former Grand Hotel building (now apartments), where you will find the Fonte de Gandara (to the left as you look at the building), which is a great opportunity to taste the water direct from the source. There are very pleasant walks in the grounds of the Grand Hotel building, which are open to the public. If you climb the stairs to the left of the building as you look at it, you will see some of the chalets where wealthy guests used to stay (mostly now derelict, but they make very picturesque ruins), and pass through the remains of the outdoor ethnographic museum, collected by the Peinador family who owned the place in the early 20th century. If you go around to the right of the Grand Hotel building, you will find the remains of the orangery, the crazy golf, and other hotel buildings that are slowly returning to nature.

There are a few cafes and restaurants in town, and I recommend the 'English pub' on the main road, which is very friendly and has a great terrace overlooking the river. Despite the name it isn't very English, but it's good value and a lovely place to spend a couple of hours.

You'll notice I haven't mentioned the spa itself, because it's not the kind of thing I go in for, but people seem to enjoy their treatments and the place is full of guests wafting around in robes and slippers. I went once to the Palacio de Agua across the road (there's an underground tunnel if you don't want to brave the elements in your robe) and enjoyed the rooftop Japanese bath especially.

I love Mondariz - the town and the hotel - and come back whenever I can. It's definitely geared towards the Spanish visitor, but don't let that put you off - English guests are incredibly welcome and it's a tranquil and inviting place to kick back for a couple of days. Plus, as I said, it smells great.

Room Tip: Rooms in the tower in the main building (125-7, 225-7) are larger and quiet. 226 has a lovely view t...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
3 Thank MargaretHale

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Munich
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 13, 2012

I staid here twice in 2011: The first time for the preparation of my wedding and the second time, I staid for three nights around my actual wedding. First of all, I have to say that this is an awesome wedding location! It has the advantages of providing enough rooms for many wedding guests without the busy atmosphere of a conference hotel in a large city where you may be afraid that somebody is walking into your reception, thinking that this is a company presentation. On the other hand, it provides a decent amount of privacy, both for the actual ceremony (we got married in the fountain with the major of Mondariz as the official) as well as for the cocktail, dinner and party. Since the hotel is subdivided in several buildings, all of our guests could stay in the building where we had the dinner and party which also gave the ladies the opportunity to switch from high heels to more comfortable foot wear at some time.

Having said that, let me start about the actual hotel. This is a grand hotel from the Belle Epoque and apparently, it attracted the famous and wealthy of the early 20th century. It burned down and fell into the stage of a Sleeping Beauty for decades before it was rediscovered and remodeled in the 1990s. A Balneario in Spain is basically a spa or a spa village. The hotel thus offers a great "Palacio del Aqua" or water palace for relaxation, as well as an outside pool, different spa treatments and massages. Also, the food is quite delicious and the rooms are comfortable and spacious. Moreover, there is a golf course (I cannot really judge it because I don't play golf but it is a tournament playground) and it has a beautiful club house, overlooking the course with a very nice sunset at night.

Mondariz itself is the smallest townhall in Spain and thus, there is not really much too see. It is a perfect spot for relaxation, about 8 km away from the highway that connects Vigo with Ourense and about 25 km from Vigo airport. Since it is landlocked, expect more continental climate than normally in Galicia on the coast. While it rarely gets very hot around the sea, we had almost 40 degrees there in August.

Regarding the wedding (maybe somebody is also interested in that): Besides the fact that the wedding is hopefully a beautiful day in the life of everyone, regardless of the circumstances, I have to say that I am sooo happy that I got married in Mondariz! I am German and my wife is Spanish, from Galicia. Since we knew that we would have a very international wedding, we chose a location that everybody could relatively easily get to (Vigo airport nearby) and stay there for a full weekend with us. When we checked wedding locations in Galicia, the hotel was the 4th that we saw and we had another appointment to check a hotel in Vigo that day. I already described the location and the facilities. The great thing was that the "wedding organizer", Juanjo, gave us such a confidence that we could manage the organization of a wedding remotely (we both live in Germany) that we canceled our trip to the other hotel since we were very sure. Juanjo and the management made sure that everything would be organized according to our plans. The first answer to every request or idea that we had was "Yes" - Yes we can was actually true! I even asked if we could have some German wheat beer from Bavaria at our wedding and once I provided the name, we had hundreds of bottles on the wedding weekend. Juanjo made sure that we could host a pre-wedding party at the golf club with about 80 people, organized transportation, snacks, drinks, music equipment everything. We had guests from 15 countries and they were all stunned!

The wedding day went very well too. Everybody loved the food both in terms of quantity and quality. Partying until 6 in the morning was no problem whatsoever. We even had the feeling that the team catering that night had a lot of fun at our wedding. My wife and I were very content.

Did things go wrong? Actually yes, a few things could have been better. The AC broke and it was super hot in the dining area. They lost the flower bouquet of my wife. But you know what: When you get married in Spain and everybody makes such an effort to come there, what matters is feeling well received and taken care off. Balneario de Mondariz made sure that our guests were very, very happy!

Finally, I want to point out that there are probably more than 20 weddings per year in the hotel. However, they make sure that there is only one per weekend. And the most important thing: You do not feel like you are the 15th wedding that year but everybody and Juanjo especially gives you the feeling that this is the most special day, not only for you but for them as well. We loved it!

Want to get married in Spain? Do it there! And for everyone else: Balneario de Mondariz is a very nice, relaxing grand hotel that I can recommend everyone for a few days of a get-away brake!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank kingsimon
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

Went there because of a review in Time out magazine.

Utterly deceived, worst value for money I ever had in a hotel, this is a conference hotel but not for families, unfriendly and snobbish service attitude from staff

We regret the money spent

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Ritz20

Travelers are raving about these Pontevedra hotels

New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 17, 2012

I've stayed here twice and had two different experiences, only because of the time.

The first visit was in February mid-week so it was practically empty. Needless to say it was very relaxing and quiet. I flew into the Vigo airport from NYC and stayed here for two nights and had no jet lag whatsoever. There must be something to these thermal waters!

The other time was a Friday night during a holiday and it was the opposite. Tons of families with children and the baths were over crowded, which was frustrating and not really relaxing. The facilities are some of the best I've seen, but if you can, go mid-week during low season. They also regularly offer deals at these times where it can be almost half the price, and definitely worth it!

I won't mention anything about the facilities as other travels have described them, but try to venture into the town for a meal, it's quaint and nice to support those local businesses. The restaurant can be a little pricy. But they do offer a nice spread for breakfast.

One complaint: for a place that exports its waters internationally, they offer none gratis to hotel guests.

All in all an awesome place, but timing is key.

Room Tip: It is a big complex so talk to the staff if you have specific needs.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
Paris, France
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 16, 2012

The hotel and Spa are beautiful, and surrounded by the original buildings, made me really think about how it was in the old days...5 star service and wonderful breakfast. Great area for kids, included in the price, with personnel. Stayed in 2 different rooms, both beautiful and big and not noisy, wonderful beds. Very nice waiters, nice food at restaurant also. We are alll looking forward another stay.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
1 Thank inst
Madrid
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

We chose this hotel because it's pretty renown and the overall experience was very good.

The Hotel.
The hotel is made up of three buildings that were reformed about 10 years ago. The buildings are lovely as well as its neighborhoods. I read many reviewers talking about "complicated access to the room": to be fair, it must be told that the three building are each on a different corner of a small crossroad. I suppose that the "complicated" access people is talking about is simply the little network of underground corridors that connects each building with one another. I don't know if people preferred crossing a rainy Galician road with only the bathrobe on and the hotel flip-flops, but to me it's just "good logistics".
Anyway, the rooms were spacious, bright and clean, with a small terrace facing the park behind the hotel and the view was lovely. The furniture was pretty simple but new, and the room was equipped with a flat screen television, a mini-bar and the heating/air conditioning system. The bathroom was spacious and equipped with everything you need. The personnel even provided me some extras because I forgot my beauty case at home and I was not charged for it.

The Restaurant.
The restaurant is good quality but pretty expensive (around 30 Eur per meal per person) and features an "internationalized" version of the typical Galician cuisine. The restaurant personnel if very kind and the maître is very professional.
It's probably worth reserving a room with half board and having a meal in one of the other (and cheaper) restaurant of the village. They're worth having a try, anyway.

Bars and Other Services.
The hotel has got a nice bar with live piano music in the week end (on a great, ancient and limited series Steinway & Sons piano). The bar features a lovely terrace just in front of the hotel outdoor pool.
During the weekend, an Italian Restaurant is available with hand made pizzas and other typical italian dishes.
The hotel has got an entertaining zone for kids, although this is not the kind of place where I'd took any children to and, indeed, there were very few of them.

The Spa.
The hotel pools aren't just a conventional spa. This hotel is built on a spring of thermal water and you can take advantage of them not only accessing the spa (called "Palacio del agua", which is roughly "Water Palace") but with a series of treatment packages as well. It's cheaper to include in the boarding price since it's pretty much cheaper. A single access to the spa costs around 20 Eur each and if you're willing to try some thermal treatments (we did, and they're worth trying) it's cheaper to buy one of the packages that the hotel offers.
The spa is pretty big: the ground floor offers a nice and big pool with the typical water jets you can find in a spa and a couple of different kinds of saunas. In the second floor you can find other saunas, an external thermal pool and a relaxing zone. The view from the spa is beautiful: the roof is a crystal dome and one of the external wall is made of glass panels from which you can see the hotel park.
At some hours the spa can indeed be crowded but we never had any problems with it: it's big enough and you're never waiting too much time.

The Treatments.
We chose this hotel because of its thermal waters and we weren't mistaken. We chose the relaxing treatments package (about 400 Eur each: 3 nights stay with half board) and it was up to our expectations. The daily treatment lasted about one hour and a half and it was performed in individual bathtubs with real thermal water. It was the first time for my girlfriend and she was surprised about the water color and its "rusty" smell: but that's what raw thermal water is supposed to be.

The Village.
The surrounding areas are lovely: it's a typical small galician village, built around the hotel, in the middle of the green. If you like walking, there are plenty of paths to explore. And if you don't like walking that much, it takes only a couple of minutes to reach the nearby river and enjoy some relaxing views of the greenest landscapes you can find in Spain. Galicia, moreover, it's an amazing country to discover, too much for this commentary to be exhaustive: if you feel like it, places such as Santiago de Compostela are pretty near (about 100km).

Room Tip: I'd choose rooms on the reception building, that is the building where most of the hotel service...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 19, 2010

I was expecting better when comingo to the Balneario with my husband.
We had to wait a lot for check in and then were given a room in an adjacent building with complicated access (you have to go down in an elevator, and then cross a long corridor with stairs and you carry your own luggage!). The room was in the 6th floor and so hot hat I come to reception and asked for another room. The second room was in the main building, nothing special but ok.
Th hotel was full of people of middle/low class. For breakfast there were lost of people and some buffets had nothing at all! Bad experience! We had dinner in the hotel, is was good but very expensive: 95 euros, a bottle of alvarino wine 20 euros!
The spa treatment are extra charge but we enjoyd the massages. However, the pools and gym (Palacio del Agua) are also extra charge and this is not reasonable; we are in a termal place, the inside pools should be included in the room price!
In global, a medium hotel, three stars was enough for the service you get!

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank clara50
Also consider these accommodations in or near Pontevedra
Augusta Spa Resort
Hotel Room
#6 of 28 in Pontevedra
Gran Hotel Nagari Boutique & Spa
Balneario Laias Caldaria

Been to Balneario de Mondariz? Share your experiences!