“Central and great cafes/restaurants close by”
Review of Hotel Ruas

Hotel Ruas
Ranked #3 of 22 Pontevedra B&B and Inns
Bucerias, Mexico
“Central and great cafes/restaurants close by”
Reviewed November 25, 2013

Great location central to the old town with plazas on both sides of the building and next to the museum. Lots of cafes and restaurants near by, which are hopping on Friday and Saturday nights. The price was a bit high compared to other small towns, but definitely worth it.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Richmond, VA
Reviewed August 21, 2013

I stayed here to meet up with friends who were walking the Camino de Santiago. The hotel is a good value in a great location beside a popular square. I expected a certain amount of street noise but I was surprised to hear the movements of every dish and glass below my window on a high floor until at least 2:00 am, followed by the noise of garbage trucks in the early morning. The a/c wasn't working and although it was cool enough at night with the open window, the noise from the street made it very difficult to sleep. Pontevedra is no place for cars. Be sure to ask the owners about the free parking a short walk across the bridge.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does not face the noisy main plaza.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Daytona Beach, Florida
Reviewed July 4, 2013

My wife and I recently walked the "Portuguese Way" and this was arranged for us through our tour company. We arrived after walking over 10 miles on a Friday afternoon and checked in to a beautiful and clean room over looking the square. Chairs and tables by multiple restaurants were placed out on the plaza and people began to arrive. We ate a wonderful meal and enjoyed the evening with friends until the sun went down which in Spain in May is 10:30 PM. Since you have no AC in the rooms you have to leave the window open and at 4 AM you could hear the overzealous drinkers stumbling about, the clink of thousands of beer bottles in the dumpsters being emptied out and the like. If you party like its 1999 and have no where to go this most certainly is the destination. If you have to get up early for any reason, you may want to consider an alternative away from the plaza.

Room Tip: If you want quiet after you go to bed, the rooms away from the plaza MIGHT be a little better.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Deal, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 4, 2013

Just stayed in this hotel last week whilst on the Camino. This was a comfort break from hostels etc amd proved to exceed our expectations. There was three of us intitially in one room, (room 202, which I would recommend as it has a "little" terrace around both french windows). The terrace is not adequate to sit on but ideal to stand on). I had initially checked out a private alberque but for an extra 25 euro's this was significantly better. It was very hot so we had to keep the windows open when going to sleep, which meant you could hear the noise from the plaza below. (Everyone seems to dine late and talk with passion. !!!). Only other option is to keep the windows closed and bear the heat.... They have rooms on the third floor / roof which are quieter.
The rooms and the whole hotel are very clean, much cleaner than I have experienced before in such a small hotel. The owners daughter, who runs the hotel side is very efficient and speaks very good english.
The hotel is very central, just down from the main tourist office and on a delightful and possibly one of the best plaza's to sit for a meal or drink. There is an arched terrace at the front of the hotel to sit and people watch... At the back of the hotel they have a good restuarant in another little plaza.
Drinks, tapas and breakfast are all reasonably priced in the hotel and there is lots of choice all around to suit ever budget.
As we were on the Camino trail we also used the hotel to wash a full load of laundry. The cost was 10 euro's which is similar to what you would pay taking it yourself so would recommend this option. We had a few little problems with the toilet but the owner had them repaired immediately, so it was no issue.
Overall a tremendous experience and a hotel I would be more than happy to return to.

Room Tip: Room 202 has a little terrace to stand on. I think this was the only room with a little terrace. If...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
UK
Reviewed September 23, 2012

All good here. Turned up on spec, great double room with a view. Super clean, food and beer very cheap. Proprietor told us to move car to their parking as cheaper and even drove with us to the lot. What a great, chic town Pontevedra is.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lisa H
Barcelona, Spain
Reviewed August 18, 2012

I went to Hotel Las Rias at Pontevedra recomended by Lonely Planet guideline and ended up being a bad experience. These are the reasons:
+ I asked for a room with views to the square when booking the room a month in advance. When I arrived I asked again, but instead they gave me a room without views (well, views to a wall). I complained and then they gave me a room with views to the square. In other words, they actually had rooms with views to the square when I arrived, but just told me they didn't and try to give me a room without views.
+ The manager was agreesive to me when asking for regular information. When I did the reservation they didn't specify if it was without breakfast. Considering the cost 59 euros for a room in a one start hotel in a province city, I understood the breakfast would be included. I asked them once I was there, firts they said yes it was included and then in the morning they said it was not included. I asked the manager if I could see the list of prices in order to solve the doubth and becouse I found it rare it was not included, and the manager became aggresive to me saying the problem was mind and telling me if it was that I just didn't want to pay for the room. I was all the time, polite, just wanted to me informed and see the price list, his tone and accusations were out of the blue.
+ I used the service to do one laundry. The day I was leaving and paying for the room, they tried to make me pay for two laundries instead of one (10 euros each) without non-reason. I asked how it is possible I should pay for two laundries when I did only one, at the end I did only pay for one. They didn't scuse or anything, they just tried to make me pay for two.
+ At the restaurant they use bad oil and the bottles at the tables are dirty, so you dirty your hands when using them.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Mayofm
Estados Unidos
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Hotel Ruas is located in the pedestrian-only, "old section" of town, right next to one of the major squares for nightlife, and with several great restaurants a stones-throw away. Reasonably nice rooms; great prices (I was there on the "shoulder season" in late-September)....this place has a pretty high recommendation from me. If you stay at this hotel, eat at "Rianxo", a restaurant right outside your window (address: Praxa de Leña 6) and order the ray ("raya" in Spanish), as in "stingray".

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends