“Rendola riding - a Tuscan experience”
Review of Rendola Riding

Rendola Riding
Reviewed June 23, 2013

Four days at Rendola riding was the start of our first trip to Tuscany. We wanted to explore the landscape with a 'local' before going on to visit Florence. As riders, what better way than from horseback? And we achieved that 100% at Rendola Riding and much more besides.
This is not like a hotel - we were welcomed to Jenny's home as guests and left as friends.
With, 4 others (two Norwegian girls and two English guys) we enjoyed warm hospitality and a lifetime's experience not only of horses, but also of Tuscan life - cuisine, language, history & art!
The horses were fantastic, well cared for, responsive and forward going.
This is not fast riding - the hilly, wooded terrain is more suited to walk, long trots and some rolling canters through the vines. Equally, not a trekking centre with bored horses to 'point and go'. This is a special place to experience the Tuscan landscape at it's best from horseback.. with birdsong above and wild flowers and old roman tracks under foot.
Jenny is a generous, open hearted and immensely knowledgeable host and horsewoman and supported by a great team at Rendola.
Eraldo, Sergio, Franca, Katie, Adam and Angela - and of course Jenny.. thank you.

Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Rendola Riding

Reviewed May 29, 2013

Just home from a lovely trip to Italy, the first half of which was spent at the Rendola Riding Centre where I met the incomparible Jenny Bawtree and her smashing horses and staff. From the moment I walked up to the jasmine-covered farmhouse overlooking the Arno Valley I knew I was going to love being there. Don't kid yourself, this is a working farm with all that entails. If you are looking for five star luxury you won't find it here, but what you will find is a cozy establishment with all the trappings of a life with horses in evidence. There were muddy riding boots in the foyer, damp chaps drying over the backs of chairs, chickens scratching in the front olive grove/paddock and lashings of local wine. My room was small and very basic with it's own tiny little en suite but it was scrupulously clean with lovely smooth sheets and plenty of extra bedding if you needed it for the chilly spring nights. It also had a shuttered window that looked out across the valley to the stunning Tuscan hills beyond.

I'm a bit of a foodie and had my own catering business for a while and I am here to tell you that the food was very good indeed. We started every meal with a fabulous pasta dish made from local produce and then moved on to the "Main" course which involved delicious beef, chicken or pork accompanied by a selection of vegetables. There was always more than enough for extra helpings. The pic-nics out on the trails were also of a very high standard with lots of local cheeses and sausages and delicious breads and wines. It was magical to sit at linen covered trestle tables in the heart of the country side with the horses tethered around us.

The horses and tack really were of a very high calibre, but the riding itself was not what you would describe as exciting. We had plenty of trots and canters, but they were all very short in duration due to the geography of the region. One canter was only 21 strides long. I would say a confident novice could handle these hacks even though it was required that we were strong intermediate or better. The horses were very willing indeed and a pleasure to ride. I fell for Carmen and would have loved a chance to get to know her better on a faster ride. All the other people in my group of eight riders felt the same about their horses.

I had a look at some of the other reviews on this site and am at a loss regarding the negative ones which seem to focus on bad housekeeping and insects. All I can say is that I found a clean, cozy, working farm-house. It did not have the feeling or atmosphere of a hotel with the constant rounds of room-service and maids, but neither was it dirty or gritty and swarming with wildlife. I thouroughly enjoyed my time there and would recomend it to horse-lovers everywhere who are looking for an authentic experience.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Julie K
Reviewed November 5, 2012

All of my expectations were met for this riding vacation! The weather was great for the fall, and I met a lot of wonderful people to share the experience with. The horses were all great, but, of course, I had a favorite!! Franca did a wonderful job with the food, and Sergio's tiramisu was excellent!! Jenny was very informative, and took us to some amazing places, both on horseback and in the van. The gourmet lunch at Lora Ciuffenna was fantastic!! Would highly recommend this vacation for the adventureous equestrian. The Italian lesson was an opportunity to start my classes to learn Italian.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 15, 2012

This little break was a dream come true. Everything right from the word go fell into place. The house was just what we hoped it would be; a home from home. Jenny, the owner, and her team were so welcoming and great company. We came for the riding, we enjoyed the lovely tuscan countryside and found good cared-for horses which were nice to ride. Jenny was a fantastic guide not only on horseback but also in Arezzo and Eraldo was a brilliant instructor (thank you!). Compliments to the chef as the food was delicious too! We can't wait to go back next year!

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank forestbeauty
Reviewed November 11, 2011

Upside: There is a good selection of horses. This is a good place to bring a stong beginner or immediate so that they get some time in the saddle. Jenny has some lovely people working in her yard and they really make the place. Her horses are much loved.
She also will teach you the basics of Italian which is great. You should go here if you really want to see some authentic Italy and tour tuscany in a unqiue way.
Downside: However you are there within her terms and you stay at her house so it has some contraints if you are on holidays and want a romantic time out or if you want to eat something else. Also it is limited if you are a very experienced rider. The house can be rather cold.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Jessica M
Reviewed October 26, 2011

My friend and I just came back to the states after an equestrian vacation at Rendola Riding "Discover Tuscany" via Equitrekking. I am still smiling from ear to ear,

If you want to see the Tuscan country and you love to ride...this is the way to do it. The owner (Jenny) is a gem like no other. She has incredible knowledge of the area and took us to areas that no one visiting by automobile would ever see. Her horses and wonderful....no fancy show horses but steady, trustworthy and comfortable (I would love to take home Nerone and Carmen!). Sergio, her right hand man, does everything around the farm and is a wonderful cook....better than her hired cook (sorry Franca!). I am still dreaming of Serigo's mushroom risotto and grilled eggplant.

The farmhouse is comfortable and homey. Jenny is a terrific hostess.....we felt like we were staying at a favorite aunts house.

This has been one of my very favorite vacations...ever.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed October 11, 2011

This is a wonderful vacation in a cozy farm house. It was clean and welcoming. However, it is worth mentioning that no hotel in Italy seems to have screens in the windows so there are flies and mosquitoes if you leave your windows open.
We were served traditional Italian meals and had plenty. It was so good that I bought the cook book for my mother and myself.
I've seen the negative reviews and can not identify with them at all. I did see a spider in the bathroom, but it disappeared and I never saw another. Remember that you are staying at a farm in the middle of the country.
The horses were sure footed and reliable. Jenny was very friendly and quite devoted to all of us on the trip. I can't think of a single negative thing to say, quite honestly. Oh, well, the mattress in my room seemed like it wouldn't be comfortable but I slept so soundly that it must have been just fine. Incidentally, I also noticed that they were moving new mattresses in on our departure. The farm, like many farms, is always in various stages of being improved.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled solo