“Quaint, atmospheric & fresh seafood”
Review of Melos - CLOSED

Melos
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Whilst recently in Anacapri during a spate of not so warm May weather we were drawn to Melos as it looked warm and inviting. It was a quiet night and apart from a group of Spanish people who arrived as we were leaving we were the only customers. We were greeted with warmth by Paolo di Franco, the owner. As other reviewers have noted Paolo is a musician and also a charming host. We had freshly caught anchovies, deep fried, eaten whole like whitebait. They tasted of the sea - and were divine, not salty at all. I can't recall the main course but we ended up sharing a Caprese chocolate cake, made with almonds. Once again it was fresh and delicious. With Radio Sinatra playing in the background it was a warm, personal and relaxing dining experience.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

The owner Paolo obviously loves what he does, and he does it well. The restaurant is located in a quiet corner of a fairly quiet square. Paolo and his family are musicians, so expect to hear Sinatra and other great old American singers playing softly over the stereo system during your meal. My wife and I stopped to get directions, and Paolo was happy to help us. He was so friendly that we came back to try lunch, and when we arrived, we were the only ones there, but by the time we left, the restaurant was full.

The service was outstanding - not like many Italian restaurants that we've tried - and the food was delicious. We were served a complimentary plate of bruschetta first. It was the best we have had in Italy. We tried the house wines, both red and white, and found them to be very good. My wife had penne with zucchini and Gorgonzola, and I had penne with egg, zucchini and bacon. Both dishes were delicious and were served with a basket of bread - 1/2 made in Capri and 1/2 made in the restaurant, and the in-house bread contained bits of olives and walnuts that was really good.

My wife had coffee after the meal, and she was served really hot coffee in a small coffee pot that contained two full cups of coffee. This is the only place in Italy that she has been served more than a small cup of coffee.

This restaurant is worth the boat trip and the walk through Anacapri.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

On our holiday we tried several restaurants on the Amalfi Coast and Capri, but this was the only one we absolutely loved! (We loved it that much that we are writing a review, something we normally don't do!) Paolo, the owner, is a lovely and interesting character who is passionate about his restaurant, the food and the music. The restaurant is small and pretty. The food is simple but delicious. My partner had calamari, which he loved. It was not just the best restaurant on our holidays, the ravioli I had were the best ravioli I ever had!
Highly recommended!!!

Reviewed February 5, 2013

Melos is like no other restaurant on Capri! You will not see german menus, or touristy advertisement. You will see a person who really cares about every plate he will bring to your table. A person with a great understanding and passion for food. He will be your friend if you are kind and respectful to the food that he makes and the Island that is his home. Paolo is his name.
We went there twice on our 3 day visit to Capri. The food was some of the best I have ever had. Everything we ate was so delicious, we still talk about it. Thank you Paolo and Ilaria, you are the best.

Reviewed October 30, 2012

We were looking for a restaurant off the tourist trail and something a little different to the same old fare being served up by so many of the places on the island. Melos is a cosy and authentic looking restaurant, beautifully and tastefully decorated. We were greeted by the owner's wife, seated and brought menus. These were in Italian (ours is scant) but owner/chef came out and explained the dishes to us, making recommendations to us which we followed. My husband tried the shredded baccalau with vegetables which he described as interesting although he perhaps wouldn't try it again. My ravioli was filled with a four cheese sauce, and again was interesting flavors which I decided was delicious. I decided to try dessert and asked Paolo to choose something for me. Here he excelled! A pie with custard and pear was truly delicious and worth going back for. The wine servings by the glass are generous and good wine. The service was lovely, warm and friendly and they both did whatever they could to make our experience an enjoyable one. Definitely worth trying if you want to escape the appalling tourist conveyor belt experience of so many of the others.