Caesar Augustus Hotel
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
  • Room Service
Melia Villa Capri Hotel & Spa(Anacapri)
Albergo Loreley(Anacapri)
  • Bar/Lounge
Bougainville(Anacapri)
  • Breakfast included
All reviewsinfinity pooljunior suitethe cliffour honeymoonbay of naplesspectacular hotelbreathtaking viewsmain terracehotel restaurantpiano playerhis sonstar servicethe entire staffoverlooking the bayhotel shuttleluxury hotelheaven on earth
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 23, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Caesar Augustus in one of the suites with a balcony overlooking the Mediterranian. This hotel is spectacular! It is located in Anacapri away from the noise of downtown Capri, with the local bus stopping just outside the door for easy and quick access to Capri. The swimming pool is breathtaking. The food and service are excellent. We hated to leave and will definitely return.

• Stayed: May 2005
6  Thank SSM418
San Diego, California
Reviewed May 17, 2005

My husband and I stayed at the Caesar Augustus in August of 2003 for a short two-day rest between Florence and Rome. Had I know how much I would come to love this island and the fabulous hotel we stayed at I would have stayed four days in Capri and only two in Rome :). This hotel... what can I say? The staff was very courteous and helpful. The room was beautiful with a wonderful view overlooking the Bay of Naples. The pool was heavenly after several days of walking through Paris and Florence. Just be sure to get up early to get a good spot! The hotel is also a short walking distance to the idyllic village of Anacapri. This is the less "touristy" side of the island and gives you a better look at how the locals live. The restaurants in the area are fantastic!! Overall I look forward to coming back to stay at the Caesar Augustus and I hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

• Stayed: August 2003
4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
New York
Reviewed May 4, 2005

The views at the Caesar Augustus Hotel are unworldly, unfortunately they are not enough to offset other service and facility deficiencies to earn a top rating in my book.

The April 6th posting by a Florida member does an excellent job of describing the problems with this hotel. Please read that review. I will just say that we also experienced problems with the Hotel including service issues during our 4 night stay.

Yes, I know Franco is a decent guy, but in general the atmosphere of this Hotel is not very good, and it impacted what should have been a pleasant and relaxed experience. I'm thinking that the problem players must be related to the owners of the Hotel, otherwise these staff issues would be corrected in about 10 minutes?

Such a shame. If you want to spend a night or two here to experience the views it might make sense. Our 4 nights for the price of a junior suite was not worth it.

Stayed: April 2005
15  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed April 5, 2005

As much as I hate to say it, the recent reviews are correct about the service at this hotel. It really is SUCH a shame. The view and the physical hotel facilities are absolutely superb. The bar terrace juts out over the view, and is dotted with striped awning, flower pots, tables and chairs positioned to soak it all up. The pool is also beautiful, as is the breakfast room overlooking the pool. The room we had was lovely, with a drop dead view from the terrace (and from the glass surrounded shower). When we were there, mid July, they even had a grand piano and a classical "trio" playing one night on the terrace. In a setting as breathtaking as this, these things should make for a fantastic hotel experience, and for these reasons I still give the hotel 3 stars, because it is really that beautiful.

Unfortunately, the setting cannot entirely make up for the rest of the experience. While the terrace bar terrace invites you to sit and enjoy, the service makes you want to go elsewhere. Same with the breakfast room- it looks inviting at first glance, but you are quickly brought down by the surly staff- not at all accomodating or helpful. The pool lounge chairs are plastic and uncomfortable, and the pool service is similarly unfriendly (the reviewer below is correct about having a table removed because the staff was ready to "close" the pool area, but there was no wedding when we were there). This would NEVER happen at, say, Palazzo Sasso or Sirenuse. You could probably spend the night by the pool if you really wanted to; they wouldn't dream of kicking you out of the area. We had similar experiences with the front desk staff- were ignored as we stood by the desk waiting patiently for some information or a taxi call. In short, this place knows nothing of first-class/deluxe service, which is the mark of a true luxury hotel.

Anyway, the reason I bring up Palazzo Sasso and Sirenuse is this: I realize that they are 5 star hotels in an entirely different league. BUT I really think this place could be, too. The "bones" of the place are so great- there is not another hotel in Capri with as good a view and setting (especially Capri Palace, which is inland from Caesar Augustus and not directly overlooking the sea). If only another hotel group or owner would take over this place, and make it a Small Luxury Hotel or a Leading Hotel of the World, there would be no stopping it. It honestly wouldn't take that much. It would require upgrading the facilities some (comfy cushioned lounge chairs by the pool; better restaurant menu and furniture; luxury beds and linens in the rooms), but otherwise it would just take a more service-oriented staff; a more pampering atmosphere. If they could just accomplish those things, it would be one of the best hotels in Italy (due in large part to its stunning setting).

So- would we go back? Honestly, if the price was right, maybe. We really loved the views! I think it would be a shame to stay anywhere on Capri without that dizzying, perched over the sea view. I did check out the "luxury" hotels on the island, and I didn't see one that could compete in terms of the view/setting. Still, CA doesn't warrant the high prices other, more luxury hotels charge because it doesn't offer a luxury experience.

• Stayed: July 2004
11  Thank FloridaEurophile
London
Reviewed March 29, 2005

We are fortunate enough to have stayed in some incredible hotels worthy of singing from the roof tops about. We hoped 5 nights in a 'junior suite' at 390 Euros per night at The Caesar Augustus would be just such an experience. For this amount of money, one can reasonably expect some luxury and a courteous reception by staff.

However here the staff were arrogant and frankly a disgrace. The 'suite' was an absolute disappointment, run down and MUCH smaller than sea view rooms we stayed in along the Amalfi. It was a sad joke, when one thinks of all the spectacular places you can stay in the world for that sort of price!

We arrived, to be left hot and standing there with our bags, ignored by the very offensive front desk while they chatted in Italian to somebody without giving us so much as a nod for half an hour. When finally acknowledged, despite it being 2.30pm our room was not ready. We waited for an hour. When finally shown our room they could not locate our luggage for another hour. It wasted a whole afternoon.

Finally when we sat by the pool, the incredibly rude staff started packing up deck chairs around us, even dragging a side table away we were using. I asked what they were doing as it was only 5pm, and was told without any apology that now the area was off limits to guests as there was a wedding. Weary, we asked if we could have room service on our balcony that evening. We were informed that the hotel service was closed and the whole areas off limits to guests due to the wedding.

We requested they recommend and book us in to a fantastic restaurant for the night instead. But we were shocked to see that instead of going to a carefully chosen place among dozens in Capri in a taxi as we had been led to believe, we along with ALL of the unsuspecting hotel guests under seemingly a similar impression of being booked into a suitable restaurant were ushered off like cattle on to 'the transport' of a series of mini buses (there were no taxis waiting) to a place with plastic chairs and marginal food.
Probably some relation ‘cashing in’ on the ridiculous situation we were forced into.

When we reviewed our bill we discovered that their addition was strangely 56.40 euros more than what the sum of the figures written on the bill came to! They smiled as they adjusted the bill, as though we were the 1 in 10 they expected to pick up on such a mistake.

The next morning for breakfast, again standing ignored for 20 mins, I asked a waiter if they would mind clearing one of the many dirty tables so I could take a seat. They literally yelled at me to clear the plates myself!

I could almost write a novel with the numerous outrageous and vulgar encounters we had in this hotel. To be charged so much to be in this kind of a hotel after working long hard hours to pay for a relaxing holiday was a disgrace.
After staying in some fabulous places with friendly staff along the Amalfi coast, it was such a bitter disappointment to be stuck here (having already been forced to use our credit card to secure our booking before we got there). I seriously cried with disbelief as we don't get many treasured holiday days a year, and it was a shocking rip off. There were many guests who had similar feelings which led to a total miserable atmosphere as though we had all been conned.

We would instead recommend staying at the Capri Palace Hotel and Spa up the road where it seems the true value of money being spent is appreciated with luxury, fantastic food and kindness being extended at every opportunity and it is still in a fabulous location.

To sum it up don't even think about going to the CA, life is too short. The Caesar Augustus Hotel is in a wonderful location and if you didn't have to deal with anyone there it would be tolerable to enjoy its view for a drink perhaps, but I certainly would spend your money elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2004