“Different and Appealing”

Ranked #1 of 6 Hotels in Agia Efimia
Newcastle
“Different and Appealing”
Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were slightly apprehensive about booking this hotel. Most of our holidays have been in large luxurious hotel. mainly Marriott, Hilton Resorts and not a 22 room small hotel.

The place is fabulous and the only trepidation in writing this is that we may not get a booking next year or the year after should we decide to re-visit, which we will do!

We booked directly with Katherine on the internet and did the half board, the 5 course evening meal is really worth it and we were did switch the evening meal for a lunch one day but beware, we just wanted a snack and they had other plans with a slap up 3 course lunch, they will put weight on you, especially Katherine's brother, "you are in Greece and you have to eat," Bless him!

The facilities and bathing area are first class, really! It lends itself to a couples/adult hotel as does the small resort, why anybody would take children here beggars belief, so quiet and relaxing. From the room if you position yourself correctly you could be forgiven for thinking that you are in a cabin on a ship with the view of the sea.

We should have hired a car as the Island is poorly served by local buses. A taxi to the hotel from the airport will be 50 Euros each way, Katherine will do it for you and its no cheaper elewhere. To Fiscard,o from the resort, is 40 Euros each way and to Argostolli, the capital 40 Euros.
Tip: catch the Thomas cook rep' at the cafe at Athina's other end of the harbor (Weds and Suns) to the hotel and get the Island tour for 40 Euros which includes the capital and much more for the same price as the taxi. Doesn't make any difference if you booked through them or not - they want your money and its a good day out.

In conclusion: A fabulous hotel, luxurious in feel, very boutique and that's the way they want to keep it, they don't deal with travel companies at the time of writing as they want to maintain control with the clientele and to be quite honest i wouldn't want to get on the wrongs side of either the brother or sister who own the hotel.

If youre reading this and about to go i envy you. Happy to field any questions

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
4 Thank BlueromanNewcastle

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (129)
  • Greek first
  • Hebrew first
liverpool
Reviewed June 8, 2014

We stayed the first week of June. We had asked Katherine ( co owner) to organise a taxi on arrival at the airport , which was waiting for us. It's a lovely drive over the mountains to Agia Efmia, so this was so convenient and no hassle. A warm welcome from Katherine on arrival and we were delighted by our room. Huge room with sofa, and balcony overlooking the very blue sea , and excellent shower which was brilliant. A really nice pool, and also a smaller children's pool. All the staff spoke good English and were extremely helpful. Only a 5 minute walk into the village, but it was lovely seeing boats and yatchs berthing overnight from all over Europe. Lots of small tavernas so if you chose to eat out there was a good choice. An ideal choice of hotel I you're looking for somewhere relaxing as we were.

Room Tip: All rooms have sea view. Some have baths so you can request if you prefer that to a shower
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Maple Ridge, Canada
Reviewed May 31, 2014 via mobile

My husband booked this online last minute to cover one night between villas. We were not sure what to expect, and we were absolutely blown away. Very nice hotel. We were greeted with friendly staff and a glass of wine. Our room is beautiful and the view from the balcony is picture perfect. We did not eat at the restaurant but we enjoyed a really good mojito at the pool. A classy establishment. Just don't pull the cord in the shower - we learned the hard way that it's not for the drain plug

Stayed May 2014
1 Thank T-L B
Manningtree, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 24, 2014

Best view in Agia Efimia. Every room has the same brilliant sea views. Swallows swoop down to say hello. Staff are very friendly can't do enough for you. Biggest beds ever. Exceptionally stylish rooms so tastefully designed. If you want a wedding or honeymoon. Best place for a special time you'll love it.

Shropshire, UK
Reviewed May 22, 2014

My wife and I had an 8 night stay here right at the start of the season.

We booked direct with the hotel, which was easy by e-mail. Catherine, the co-owner speaks excellent English and was helpful both during the booking and throughout the stay.

There are only 22 rooms, all with a fantastic sea view. We were on the top floor, which I would go for. Rooms are very spacious, spotlessly clean and very well appointed. Bed is enormous and the shower fantastic.

All the staff are friendly and helpful. We had a deal with breakfast and evening meal included at the normal room only price, so we ate in for these meals every day. Our breakfasts were prepared to order with a wide free choice, but I understand a buffet is introduced when the hotel is busier. We had no complaints - food and service very good, except that more complex orders did get a bit confused, then quickly rectified.

No standard hotel-type buffet dinners - this was a 5 course meal served with immaculate care and polite service at our table. Good selection of wine at very reasonable prices.

The pool area is clean and waiter service to the sunbeds! The town is a 10 minute walk by the sea with a good choice of bars and cafes in this quiet port where the yachts are constantly arriving and departing.

This is definitely one of the most pleasant hotel experiences I had ever had. Absolutely wonderful!

Room Tip: Second floor rooms (201 upwards) have better sea view.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Globetrotter_Geoff
England, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 7, 2014

This is a long overdue review!
We thoroughly enjoyed this hotel where we stayed in May 2013 for. 9 days.
I rang & booked direct & discussed room options & was given a much better price than any of the booking companies.

The rooms are huge, clean & have stunning views out to sea.
This is a family owned hotel with no tour operators so is quiet & attentively run with no request too much for the wonderful Katherine & her family.

It's a short stroll to the small harbour town centre -& only 40 mins drive to Fiskardo.etc -we drove to all parts of the island every afternoon & were relieved to return to our lovely room each evening.
Do not miss the trip to Ithaca!

Kate

Room Tip: Phone up but all are huge!
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank twinkle88
Glencoe, Illinois
Reviewed December 26, 2013

well, we returned to the odyssey hotel for the second year in a row and I have to say - super hotel. super staff. we were a bit apprehensive after having such a wonderful stay the year before - could our experience be matched? yes! everything was as I remembered and once again the staff made our stay a wonderful experience and we will return again this summer.

personally, I have multiple sclerosis and traveling, let alone staying outside of my home, can be daunting to say the least. Catherine and Gerasimos and his lovely wife Katerina have managed to make me feel secure and comfortable in their hotel. they've been so patient,compassionate, and understanding with me and the challenges that ms brings. one morning I 'lost' my purse. you would think special forces was called in to find it. after having put the hotel on 'red alert' I found my purse - where they could have been put off they understood - cognitive issues were just a part of my package - they were very reassuring and I didn't feel as foolish and embarrassed. the hotel is very handicapped friendly which is tough to find in greece - I met a dear friend there who was using one of the 2 handicapped friendly rooms in the hotel - he finds the room and the facilities comfortable and has returned a few times himself.

I've stayed in many hotels in greece through the years - some of the 'best' and the odyssey stands above them all. really. it is a beautiful hotel, super location, great views, great service, clean as a whistle and you can't beat the rooms - they are very spacious and comfortable with views to die for. the pool area is very well laid out and they also have a full service spa that I've heard nothing but raves about - I intend to use their spa this summer. there is also a hair/nail salon where Patroula handles all of the beauty needs. and an exercise room.

Chef Loukas Poulos ran the kitchen this year and once again where I very well could have gone to town for meals, I didn't have to. their dinner menu offers a variety of dishes as well as the Greek 'staples' and daily specials - all expertly prepared by Chef Loukas.

Mr. Raftopoulos would proudly let us know that all food is fresh - all of their herbs, veges and fruit are grown 'in house' and everything is homemade from the bread to the ice cream and all in between. I have some dietary needs/restrictions and they were always able to accommodate me there as well.

their breakfast buffet was very well done and offered a great variety of breakfast food including fresh fruit, homemade breads, meats, cheeses, eggs and yogurt from the village and my favorite - honey puffs.

while I do spend most of my time at the pool, the sea is a hop and a skip away, literally. so there is the best of both swimming worlds at the odyssey as well.

it was delightful to see that the Raftopoulos family have maintained their high level of services year to year and I wish them the greatest success in the years to come -

for me, it's either the odyssey or home in the summer - I feel they are both the same.

• Stayed July 2013
Emelisse Art Hotel
#2 of 7 in Fiscardo
Ionian Emerald Resort
Apostolata Island Resort & Spa

Been to Odyssey Hotel? Share your experiences!