“Great”

Ranked #7 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Great”
Reviewed June 26, 2014 via mobile

Myself and girlfriend stayed here 17-24th of June. We had a very relaxing week. It is basic, but for what you pay I find it hard to grumble. What do people expect? The hotel is spotlessly clean, specks and the staff we fantastic from arrival at 02:30 we were given a beer and made to feel welcome all week. The meals were good, not Michelin star at all but was always something to eat. The bedroom was very basic, just the bed and a couple of furnishings but I'm not on holiday to be in the bedroom! All in all we had a very nice relaxing week. If you want a cheap holiday, well placed on the island to get about then this is a good shout! The staff couldn't have done anymore for us and the pool area was fantastic!

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank DanPalmer33

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 16, 2014

Just returned from 10 days at the iris hotel and first impressions on arriving at 0230 were of utter dismay, the room looked so, so basic and much in need of a cheery new coat of paint. Arriving at that time of the morning the facilities to make a cup of tea would have been so appreciated, but there was no kettle, no cups, no milk or tea bags and by now, we were just too tired to complain.
We were up in time for breakfast and although it was basic fare, there was plenty of it and in the main it was well cooked and reasonably hot. The same goes for dinner and the evening meal, but after a week, the meals do tend to become quite samey but the quality of the food remained at a good level. Going back to the room after breakfast on that first day, we showered in a rather undersized but adequate bathroom(very powerful shower though and hot too) and looking at the bedroom in the light of day it was spotlessly clean, and large enough to accommodate us and not in need of a paint job. We found the room service was excellent, the cleaners and all the staff were /are genuinely nice people ready to help at the drop of hat. The grounds are kept in an excellent and clean condition and the swimming pool is one the best I've seen for a hotel of this size. Sure, there are a few gripes, the all inclusive is somewhat restricted and in some respects a bit mean, there is no entertainment during the day or evening and the day time snacks do leave a lot to be desired but over and above all of this, we had a great relaxing time. Afandou town is just a short walk from the hotel and if you want it, entertainment for the evening can be found in the taverna's there. Faliraki is a short taxi trip away where more entertainment can be found.
In conclusion, our first impression of the Iris hotel raised alarms that just weren't there. My wife and I fully intended to slate this hotel on trip adviser but in truth we can't do it. It is a well run budget hotel with the personal touch. George and his wife, although the owners, were there everyday from very early in the morning to late at night to make sure of the smooth running of everything and it was never too much trouble to talk to and look after the guests. We WILL be back!!!

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
8 Thank Will S
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 9, 2014

on arriving at the hotel it looked ok we were then greeted by receptionist which was fine given key to room with sea view which was fine the room was disgusting small and bathroom I would not let a animal stay there we booked for 1 week 2 June till the 9June14 but only stayed there for 1 night it was that bad I will not make any comments of standards there has they don't have any has previous review said they did not have all their meals they eat out that says it all for me it may appeal to people with cheap budget but this hotel is not of all inclusive standards self service beer 1 pump lager/ 3 wines/ cold drinks machine/no local spirits now food at lunch /tea times the were no starters soup /no sweet available how people can say they have had a good time at this place it shocks me yes it may be3* but I would not class it that.so my opinion is to anyone looking to stay here is don't spend a little bit more on your budget and stay away from AFANDOU I would recommend you look at place called KOLYMBIA which is nice and has more going on by the way we were a couple 55/54 so if you want very cheap and poor standards stay at the Iris NOW THIS IS A TRUE REVIEW AND MY OPINION LOOK ELSEWHERE.BE WARNED....

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Fred V

Travelers are raving about these Afandou hotels

Newcastle-under-Lyme, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 2, 2014

I have just returned from staying at the Iris during May half term 2014 for a friends wedding

I was apprehensive about staying in the Iris due to the mixed reviews so thought I would write a fair and honest review.

The hotel is situated on a hill, a 2 minute walk from Afandou. Coaches will drop you off at the foot of the hill, but it really isn't much of a climb as it has been made out. My partner and I stayed all inclusive for the week and paid £80 each for the week exc. flights so it was really good value for money.

When we arrived George and his partner were very welcoming, he received my request for a sea view room prior to our arrival. The hotel has beautiful garden and grounds, the rooms are basic & dated but are kept clean and we had room service every day- so we were happy.

The all inc. isn't quite all inc. but you get what you pay for. Breakfast finishes at 9.30am and is a mixture of cereal, jam, eggs, hot dog sausages etc. Lunch is a selection of bread, salad, fries, potatoes and usually pork, veal or chicken. We rarely ate dinner at the hotel and preferred to go into Afandou.

The standard of food could have been better, we only really had lunch there and towards the end of the week all the food got a bit 'samey' but everything was clean and edible. Beer and wine (red, white, rose) is available on tap along with soft drinks.

The hotel caters towards families, there were certain things on the all inc. only available for children e.g. ice cream (adults have to pay extra). I did find this a bit petty, however there is a great ice cream shop in Afandou that is only a 5min walk away.

Afandou itself was very quiet (perhaps May is too early and out of season). There were a few bars and restaurants. I thought it was a shame there were not a lot of authentic Greek places to eat and drink, I found it was mainly pizzas and the odd kebab shop.

The hotel is not far from Faliraki- we had some good nights out there.

I think this hotel would suit a family looking for a 'sit by the pool' holiday. There is no kids club or hotel entertainment- these are usually rubbish anyway! It suited us as we only needed somewhere to stay for a wedding.

George was fine when we accidentally checked out an hour late so I found the hotel quite accommodating.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Hannah R
tyne& wear
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Well stayed at this hotel again in October for a week for my husband's special birthday .This is now our 5th visit .And yes once again we had a great time .
George and Isabelle even gave my Husband a beautiful birthday cake for his birthday .
The hotel was quiet ,as there were only around a dozen guests staying there at the same time.
Again we have no complaints about anything , rooms staff or service, all were spot on.
Food was once again very nice and always plenty of choices .
We got talking to a family of two adults and four children who had never been to Rhodes before , and were a bit unsure about staying in this hotel after reading some negative reviews on here . But they said it was the best holiday they had been on and could not find anything to complain about . The four children had a whale of a time and didn't want to go home .They have already got contact details and are looking to book for next year.

On our last day there were only me and my hubby in the hotel , George cooked us a lovely meal at lunch time .Looking forward to going back again next year.

Room Tip: third floor rooms are best
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
3 Thank boylorr
Sunderland, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 30, 2013

Lorraine and I flew back to Afandou October 2nd , and got to Rhodes in record time under 4 hours.
Quick ride in a taxi ( only 30e) saw us in the Iris car park by 9.40pm, (no risk of walking up the bank from a bus)

George and Isabelle had already arranged our room on the third floor , same as last visit in July, Air con switched on , welcome basket in very clean room, keys sorted by the ever helpful Theo .

I managed to blow out all of the room electrics due to a dodgy mosquito plug i had brought with me .
All was fixed within 15mins so we could finish getting showered and out to the Village .
Upon trying to use the usual short cut to the village at the top of the pool area stairs (A rough clay pathway ) our way was blocked by a very large pool of rainwater from the prev day.

We had to go back down to the main road and enter the village by the Afandou Sky road ....the long way round.
After a meal in Daniels and a good few drinks in the Acapulco bar , we came back via the pool
after removing shoes ....of course.

The next morning on catching up with George and Isobelle running over the last few months etc we happened to mention our ''pool '' adventure ........George who did not know about this , went into immeadiate action.
Within one hour of our morning conversation, he and his trusty handyman had removed almost all of the pool , and had made a dry smooth safe crossing, ......now thats fab service folks!

The Hotel was almost empty , it was thier last week , apart from us , there were two young couples , one older couple , a lovely family of six, a single guy on mid journey to Turkey .

The only reason we were there was for my 60th , as i have celebrated my 40th and 50th in Afandou , always home from home for us , so many wonderful people in the village and on the beach at Agathie Kolimbia and Tsambika .

As i have reviewed this Hotel on three occasions now, i know its a broken record ........YOU GET
WHAT YOU PAY FOR!
Its not a five star luxury Hotel , it is basic, no entertainment , basic meals , basic rooms etc ...

BUT it is a Fantastic base , with stunning sea views , Fab pool area , The best staff and management anywhere , great service..on one of the best Greek islands....what do want at these prices , it was a week for us at £890 fully inclusive and flights from Newcastle ....thats £63 per day each all in!!!!

Read Lisa s review , the mother of the family of six , two girls and two boys , all having a great time , with no complaints , the kids were having some great meals cooked up by George , and loved the pool.......even though October pool temp is bloody cold .........go on Ryan.....what a tuff little guy he is, great Family who got out and about .

I will never understand how anyone (who should read about the hotel first ) can come here and complain about this Hotel or any of the Management and staff ......if you have any issues see George and he sorts it .......always.......

In all of our many visits to the Iris , i have never had any problems with the meals or food quality , and i have never heard anyone who has .
i should also say its so cheap to go to the Village for a meal Mimies a great ''meat and chicken '' place or Daniels for the italian huge pizza , supporting local business.
Acopulco bar for some really good cocktails and great Crack with Demitris .....thats entertainment in itself.

Many thanks to all our friends for making my Birthday so special , lovely cake from George and Isobelle , and another from Demitris, later in the Acapulco bar with his wife Irenie .

Our last day was Oct 9TH , the Hotel was empty , Lorraine and i had the pool to ourselves , served a lovely lunch by George , and spent a relaxing day soaking up the hot sunshine ...just a perfect ..day .

So in closing , another fab week , no issues , no hassle , no problems , many thanks again to George Isobelle and team , until next year , see you all soon , have a great Xmas , and to all of the people and friends we have made during our visits , happy new year.
To all the people who have given bad reviews .........do you really spend your holiday in your bedrooms ? can you read small print? are you ever happy ?.........life is too short ....get one !

Room Tip: any room on second or best third floor for great views of the sea
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 26, 2013

My wife and myself travelled to Rhodes by Olympic Holidays in September 2013 on a bed and breakfast basis at the Iris Hotel. We were dropped off at the bottom of a very steep road leading to the hotel and had to drag our cases up this 100 metre slope. When we got to reception we were welcomed by a very nice lady who told us she didn't know why Olympic coaches did not come up the drive as there is plenty of space for the coach to turn into the drive and outside the hotel. She told us to take our cases to our room and return for breakfast. We went to our room and as one does had a quick look around. We were absolutely astonished to see what we saw. There was hairs in the wash hand basin in the bathroom, a large yellow stain on the shower tray which, when I rubbed it with a damp tissue, came off. There was black and green stains in the fridge which obviously had not been cleaned for some time. The "white" towels were yellowish and sour smelling. The "white" pillow cases were yellowish, the curtains hanging at the door looked as if someone had slashed them with a knife. The place was less than basic. Don't get me wrong I have stayed in three star hotels before which were basic but they were clean. However we went for breakfast and again were horrified to see the buffet style display of food with nothing covering the food and the flies, dozens of them crawling over all the food. My wife was sick at the sight. We obviously did not have breakfast but I took a cup of coffee from a coffee machine. We went outside and sat down at a table which had a plastic table cloth on it which had been there for quite a while and was filthy. The area around the "dining" tables was dirty. We had to see the Olympic Rep in the afternoon and decided to wait until then to complain. We went for a walk and on the road at the entrance to the hotel I saw a dead rat with lots of flies on it and I wondered were they the same flies. When we returned we went to our room and slept for a short time with our beach towels covering the pillow cases. We had been to Rhodes on quite a lot of occassions in the past so we got a taxi to Kremasti on the other side of the island to see if we could contact some of our friends to move hotels. Unfortunately we were unable to contact them. We returned by taxi to Afandou. We spoke to Neil the Olympic Rep who when he looked at the room agreed it was not up to standard. I told him we wanted to move and he informed us it would cost about 750 euro to transfer us to another hotel. Other people who had just arrived were very surprised at the poor conditions and I felt particularly sad for a young couple who couldn't believe the state of their dirty room. The young lady was nearly in tears. That evening when we went to bed having eaten away from the hotel. My wife got up to use the bathroom at about 2am when she shouted to me there was water pouring from the ceiling. I tried phoning reception but then got dressed and went to report the matter. The manager said that we were to vacate the room immediately. I refused and told him the problem was upstairs. I went to sleep and in the morning the water had stopped running from the ceiling. We went into Afandou for breakfast and were able to contact our friends in Kremasti by phone and we moved out. On our return home I made a complaint through Thomas Cook where we booked the holiday. The staff at Thomas Cook were as usual very helpful. We got a reply from Olympic Holidays telling us we were not entitled to any refund. The extra cost to us was about 500 euros. The Iris hotel is in a very nice setting with views over afandou to the beach in the distance. I have been to Afandou before on day trips and it is nice but please, please believe me and disregard any reviews saying different, DONT GO NEAR THE IRIS HOTEL

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
11 Thank Philipandbetty
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
Kalithea Sun & Sky Hotel
#9 of 9 in Tholos
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
Golden Odyssey Kolimbia
#14 of 34 in Kolimbia

Been to Iris Hotel? Share your experiences!