“Great week but not 5 star” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Levante Beach Resort

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Afandou
Levante Beach Resort
Ranked #1 of 18 Hotels in Afandou
Hereford
“Great week but not 5 star”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2013

Stayed for one week mid September. This was our 4th MW holiday so were fully versed to the MW format. We flew from Manchester with Jet2 suffice to say a budget airline with a basic service, it got us there and back on time. Meet and greet okey and an efficient hotel reception. There was a ”briefing” at 7PM but unfortunately marred by noisy children. This disturbance could have been avoided if one of the parents removed their child and the partner remaining could note any relevant information.
There was an activities /beach brief on the following day at 1000hrs where everything was satisfactory explained. It was quite apparent that MW is geared more for the Saturday to Saturday programme and that the mid week arrivals fitted in where best!!
Beachfront well organized with sufficient well maintained equipment. The staff always there to offer help and advise if needed.
Our room was in the main building and on a top floor overlooking the front entrance. It was a good sized room with a large bathroom and there was more than sufficient storage space for clothing and articles. Housekeeping could be improved re the overall cleaning. Our bedside tables were not touched for the duration of the holiday.
We used the buffet restaurant during our stay and found the food well presented , well cooked and enough varied choices. The staff were both extremely efficient and attentive to the guests needs.
The bar in the evening was generally quite and I put this down to the cost of the drinks. However the prices compared favourably with the local tourist cafes/bars etc.
The pools are cold and with the daily “winds”,not very inviting.If I came again I will bring a wetsuit. The beach was great for launching but not what I would call a nice beach and cannot be compared in anyway to a beach in the Caribbean. There are walks to be had in either direction and I would recommend one to the right through the adjoining beach resorts to the end of the beach and up the hill.
To sum up , most certainly not a 5 star hotel . The construction typical of that part of the world all concrete and steel and we found it a little soul less and bland. Given time it may develop a “character”. Expected young children but not in the numbers that were there during our week but fortunately did not present a problem although there was a danger of tripping over a pushchair.
We paid £580 each for the weeks stay and I consider that a top price for this holiday. Do people really pay the brochure price? At the same time a weeks holiday all inclusive was available at the Sea Garden Resort in Turkey at cheaper price . We stayed there last September and I consider that it offers far more than Levante except for the small beach front.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
4 Thank sundowner43

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (162)
  • Greek first
WINSLOW
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

Well it's not a 5 star hotel by normal executive standards - but the rooms are by far the best of any similar activity resort I have ever visited. I find it difficult to understand why anybody would want to go on a Mark Warner holiday who does not want to get involved in the activities. Why would you want to just sit around the pool (unless you want to take advantage of the kid's clubs and have some valuable relaxation?

Anyway, we, my daughter and her family love the place. The staff are brilliant, the sailing and tennis (I took it up for the first time - with lessons) are superb and the food was alright - but again not 5 star. Warmer pools would have been nice but it was late in the season and it's not a perfect world is it?

Mark Warner at Levante is essentially an ACTIVITY HOLIDAY. Most of MW's clients have that inclination and are anything but bland (as somebody described them). The other good news is that all the the "bland" people I met there expressed great enthusiasm and intend to return.

Get a life. Get active!

Room Tip: I'm not going to reveal our favourite room - in case somebody grabs it before us on our next vis...
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank SPIKE69
Guildford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

Recently got home from a fantastic week at Levante, the staff are very helpful, the facilities wonderful and the food was good. One thing to note- my friend and I both went for two spa treatments and all four treatments were cut short, one by 20 minutes. When I questioned why I was told that because my skin was good there was no need to take longer over certain steps of the facial, I did not think this was an adequate explanation. Overall, though, great trip and would return.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Freya G
London
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2013

I actually couldn't wait to leave this hotel. I was just amazed at how many of our fellow holiday makers seemed to love it and overlooked what were, in my ooinion, pretty funamental failings for a supposedly five star resort. My overall view of this MW hotel was that it was soulless and in all honesty, quite depressing. To be fair, this was our first ever family holiday - having a young son of almost two. Prior to this, we have always opted for a private villa in Europe where we have our own pool and can buy local produce in the markets and cook every night. We opted for something different because everybody raves about MW. To be frank, this simply wasn't our bag. But in terms of the specifics, we went with an open mind, preparing to be wowed following all the positive reviews but were left feeling cheated. The hotel itself had no vibrancy or atmosphere to it. You could sit by the pool and literally hear a penny drop. A bit of music wouldn't have a gone a miss just to breathe a bit of life into the place. Forget people watching either - the people were seriously bland albeit "nice". Others have mentioned the freezing pools but seriously MW, sort it out. It is simply not acceptable to charge the money you do and expect people to plunge into icy waters every day. I had envisaged splashing about in the water with my boy when he wasn't in the creche but instead he screamed everytime he was put in because it was simply beyond the realms of comfort. That was irritating beyond belief. In addition, the Wifi only seemed to work in the hotel lobby and even then it was temperamental at best. I ended up having to use my phone as a Wifi hotspot which cost me a small fortune. I think it's pretty much taken as a given that when you go away you will have internet access. It's not exactly a luxury and we are in Greece, not outer Mongolia, MW. The food: uninspiring and frankly, if I never see a buffee counter again it will be too soon. For the money, you should be able to eat a la carte if you wish. It felt like being in a canteen - again the outside eating area was fine but inside was grim. Now on to the beach. Wow....I don't think I've ever seen a nastier beach and I've been to Blackpool. Think grey dirty sand, littered with sharp objects, stones and the odd large rock thrown in for good measure. Not fun at all. I didn't come equipped with beach shoes and almost ripped my feet to shreds one day. Having a severe case of cabin fever after a couple of days we decided to venture to the nearest village called Kolimbia which is about 15 minutes away. Shouldn't have bothered - full of tourist tat. Simply awful. We hired a car from the hotel one day and ventured to Lindos which quite honestly, was the highlight of our trip. We had an amazing lunch and got to see a well preserved quintessentially Greek village and swam in the beautiful bay (with lovely soft sand). Finally, my assassination of this resort would not be complete without a review of the rooms. I cannot honestly believe that they call this resort five star. Think of cheap and nasty beech coloured furniture, Ikea sty-lee with hard beds and pillows and you get the picture. It was a shame as well that the balcony was covered so it got no sun. All in all, not a good experience for us. We certainly wouldn't risk MW again. A villa in the South of France wins hands down every time, kids club or not. Did you know the founder, Mark Warner's real name is Mark Chitty? Say no more.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
12 Thank Monty1002
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 21, 2013

My family have been on mark warner for 5 years now and we love going back every year. My daughter loves the 'Indies Club' which is fantastic for teenagers. The staff are very relaxed with the teenagers and they can either do as many activities as they like in the day or can simply chill by the pool. The activities available were; water-skiing, ringo rides, tennis, swimming, yoga, aerobics, quizzes and many more. The teenagers she meets are always lovely. They have 3 meals together a day which can be slightly annoying as parents because we end up hardly ever seeing our children but as long as they're having fun it's not a problem. The childcare staff would organise evening entertainment till 10 such as quizzes and games but this was optional. There is a town nearby called Kolymbia which has various shops and bars. The older teenagers usually went into the town at night and they would walk along the road leading up to the town which can be dangerous but it was never a problem. We did suggest perhaps taking a taxi there and back. I believe the week we were there this year had roughly 100 teenagers aged 14-17 but not all of them turned up. There were about 4-5 groups consisting of 20 teenagers but my daughter said it was never a problem and she had 20 people in the 17 year age group which was great. Mark Warner are well organised and fun holidays for teenagers. In terms of the Levante resort my main issue was the lack of vegetation, we have been to the Sea Garden resort in Turkey three years in a row and the views are outstanding. Levante is a very modern resort and at times I felt like I wasn't in Greece. Also, I think there should be more entertainment for adults in the evenings. Personally, my family and I love mark warner but I think the Sea Garden resort is more cultural. I highly recommend Mark Warner.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lara_98321
Chipping Norton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2013

Levante beach is brilliant. I went here with my partner and was really good but would be perfect for a family holiday. The Mark Warner childcare looked fantasic and the kids look like they had loads of fun. The room was modern with lots of space and all staff were friendly. We did Full Board and found the drinks very reasonable. Had lots going on for tennis lovers and activities througout the day. The WIFI only seems to work in the bars, pools and lounge but dont expect to use in bedrooms. Would difiently return to Levante Beach Resort.

Room Tip: request a room near the pools
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank BlakeyChippingNorton
Oxford
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 15, 2013 via mobile

Me & my other half have just returned from a two week holiday, this being our first Mark Warner (MW) 'active' holiday experience. If you are also looking to take the plunge there are some fundamentals you need to know about MW. They are set up for families all season. So expect children from babies to teenagers which were prominent even over our two weeks (27th Sept -12th Oct). If you want a child free environment don't come here. All guests fly together on the chartered flight and imagine it can get quite bad with children and babies crying. We had about 12 children going out under 5 on our flight and about the same going back and would not like to experience 'peak' time which has been mentioned on a previous reviews. I echo the excellent feedback about the flight and service through T5 with ALL drinks on the flight FREE.

The hotel itself is very well presented and in its second season of operation. We had a room facing the waterfront and beach had room was still new with no signs of much wear and tear. Room cleaning staff were excellent with linen and fresh towels for washing and separate towels for the beach/pool changed daily. The newly established grounds are well maintained by staff. There are five pools in all one of them indoor and heated and one of them outside is for adults only. We did swim in the pools on two days but they are chilly and the sea is far warmer.

The ambiance of the hotel was very chilled and relaxed as it was off peak with only one plane arriving per week. This was perfect for us as no mad rush at meal times, not too many children, plenty of space by the pools etc.. we would only ever go off peak.

The shore varies with different degrees of sand and pebbles along the immediate section of beach so bring shoes to wear. The sea has a very sharp dip of pebbles from shallow to thigh height quite early so be prepared. The beach is what it is and even though complaints have been made the beach make up is really out of MW’s control. We would however agree on them looking into the heating of at least one of the outside pools. We stayed full board which for the first week lunch was served in the main restaurant. As there were not many full board guests this changed in the second week to being able to eat in any of the other two restaurants. It made our food experience more variable. The Pan Asian restaurant was fantastic. Even though we were aware of some parties getting bouts of 24hr sickness we never did.

The cost of alcoholic drinks were more than expected but on par with bars and restaurants out of the resort. Large beer 4 Euro, cocktails between 6-7 Euros. We noticed that drinks are not free poured anymore but the measures are still larger than in the UK.

Hotel entertainment is not the best, but did not bother us as this was not really something we expected anyway.

We took part in Tennis, Mountain Biking, Fitness Classes and Windsurfing while we were there. All facilities, equipment and tuition were excellent.

The new GT bikes were very popular and were well maintained by Sam who was great laugh and very knowledgeable about bikes. The only thing I would note is the hard saddles. Take a gel one if you have one and gloves.

I attended most of Hannah’s fitness, stretch and Yin Yoga classes which were well worth it. Great fun, clearly taught and welcome to work and adapt with all fitness levels.

We did not do any of the trips as we took the bikes out to go and explore Afandou and Kolimpa and other areas as it was free and more fun.

In summary we would definitely go back out of peak season, the cherry on the cake would be some pool heating next year but would not stop us from returning.

Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Ox4dcouple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Afandou
SENTIDO Port Royal Villas & Spa
#2 of 33 in Lindos
5.0 of 5 bubbles 1,188 reviews
Mitsis Alila Resort & Spa
Atrium Prestige Thalasso Spa Resort and Villas

Been to Levante Beach Resort? Share your experiences!