“Gorgeous Location, Lots of Character”

Hotel Les Roches Rouges
Ranked #3 of 5 Hotels in Piana
Reviewed October 18, 2012

We stayed here 1 night on a walking holiday. The location is spectacular, sitting on a hillside about a 10 minute walk from town, with views down to the sea. The hotel has been in operation for 100 years. It shows the wear in places, but that is part of the charm. The outdoor terrace is a wonderful place to sit and enjoy the view. Our room was large and spare, with a balcony. The bathroom was large and more recently refurbished. This is the kind of place we like to stay--simple and clean and lots of character. And everyone was helpful and friendly.

Room Tip: The extra cost for a sea view room is worth it. The view is spectacular.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 15, 2012

We really enjoyed our two week stay. The place is run by formidable owner Mady and friendly young staff. Theres a great terrace where you have breakfast and pre/post dinner drinks with extraordinary views over the coastline, gets packed at sunset. The food in the restaurant is delicious. The rooms are simple, bathrooms are ok but could do with updating. Old style feel, a little scruffy on the edges.

• Stayed: August 2012
Reviewed September 7, 2012

Very charming. Wooden floors, visit the bathroom next to the bar, it is a riot. The hotel is a century old.
The owner is ubiquitous.
The restaurant is a little pricey but the room quite good value.
I almost forgot about the view. Having cocktails on the terrace at dusk is a must.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2012

the rooms have probably been renovated the last time in the 17th century. The owners speculate on the spectacular nature site. Without offering anything to the client. The fare can seem cheap at 120 EUR, but you get something like "youth hostel", I also remembered the swiss college of my youth. The restaurant then is decent, but be prepared to pay 120 EUR (the hotel rate) for two persons. Strictly to avoid.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rinaldo i
Reviewed July 22, 2012

You can't trust this restaurant! We asked in the morning for a vegetarian meal (no meat, no fish) for the evening. When we started, the waiter confirmed our choice. We started with a green salad with couscous, and halfway I tasted something I dindn't trust: pieces of pork! Small excuses, and and had the idea that was our problem.

The main dish was good, with all sorts of vegetables. But if you can't trust a restaurant, you expect meat with every bite.To compensate, without asking and in a hurry, they put two glasses of home made liqueur on our table. Not as a service, but a sort of routine.Liqueur we didn't drink, because we didn't want to drink more alcohol.

A shame for this price! It was the only restaurant on Corsica, where you have to pay for a glass of tapwater beside a cup of coffee.

Bad service too. We were offered desserts, we didn't order (mistake, next table). The table next to us, got the wrong main dish (mistake, other table). A other waiter came to ask questions about a white wine we didn't order (sorry, other table). The whole staff (8 people for about 10 tables with guests?) was running around in a hurry and seemed to have only one question: 'have you finished your meal'.

The rooms have terribly noisy wooden floors.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank CoosHoebe
Reviewed June 25, 2012

The building itself is gorgeous, a beautiful and slightly crumbling old gem. The views are stunning from the terrace and the rooms with a "sea view" - truly incredible! It's worth staying here just for the atmosphere and I'm certainly glad we stayed as it was an experience I will never forget.

The staff were very helpful, although they spoke very little English and our French is a little rusty.

Breakfast was good, if a little unvaried, but the view from the terrace over breakfast was amazing and the coffee excellent. We also ate dinner here on the last night and it was wonderful - the food spectacular, as well as the sunset view over the sea.

If I could give this hotel a 4.5 out of 5 I would, because the experience was let down slightly by the furnishings in the room. The bed was uncomfortable - I kept waking up with dead arms and my husband had a very painful shoulder / neck after 3 nights here. The linens were a bit inadequate - the towells were old, small and needed replacing and the pillows were awful.

Overall - we loved Piana (much nicer and more genuine than Porto), would come back, wished we could have stayed longer (although I'm not sure if my husband's back would have coped with another night in that bed) and would recommend it as long as you're more bothered about the soul of a place than the comfort of it.

Room Tip: Try to get a sea view, the other rooms overlook the car park!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 20, 2012

I have been around, some, and will tell anyone who listens about the beauty of the fiords in Norway, the hills of Tuscany, the sublime coast of Skye, sunset on the Nile. So reading about this "awesome" place in Corsica found me sceptical, but I can say without hesitation that this is for me a Top Five world view. I am a lover of old charm over cookie-cutter boutique, so the age and patina of Les Roches Rouges was just down my alley. Our very large twin room led to a double room (we were friends traveling together) and we shared a bathroom-also large and sterile white but modern enough, and everything worked including the hot water. The room was big enough for an armoir, a desk and chair, end tables with reading lights, with plenty of passing space.
It had two French doors opening to the terrace over the reception. I have a lump in my throat describing the magnificent view-the little village of Piana dipping down the hill to our left, and to our right and front a layer of peninsulas shining golden above the brilliant blue Mediterranean.
Now the downside: we were lured into the big dining room for dinner-a splurge-and had what I consider the worst 45 EU menu ever experienced in France (where I live 6 mo. a year). The main course, fish, was cold, hard and dry. After considering the situation we decided to send our fish back. The (hard working femme de l'hotel) staff whisked it away and brought us--another cold, hard and dry piece of fish. The amuse-bouche was three little dribbles on a big plate and were clearly prepared earlier in the day and let sit out in the kitchen. Terrible. Our friend had the less expensive menu and her lamb joint was tender and nice (and huge) but all the accompanying dishes were made from chestnut and so a bit lacking in style or imagination (chestnut soup, chestnut mousse).
Breakfast was fine, served on that great terrace: staff was quite nice. The whole place is run single handedly by a tyro of energy who was competant and ...busy. Bless her.
Les Roches Rouges is an incredible property just waiting for an investor to prop it into a major luxury place..so go now.
NO LIFT: happily this wobbly walker was placed only one floor up. Parking decent and safe. Walkable to the village. Drive along this coast can only be described as hairy. Not for the faint hearted.
Needs a chef that cares about the clients--even if the guests probably will never return, since this is a once-in-a-lifetime kind of place.

Room Tip: Room with a view. Website doesn't work: call the hotel, speak slowly.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Susan M
Also consider these accommodations in or near Piana
Capo Rosso
#14 of 15 in Porto
Best Western Santa Maria
Best Western Santa Maria
#3 of 18 in Ile Rousse

Been to Hotel Les Roches Rouges? Share your experiences!