“15 reviews are poor/terrible! no smoke without fire! AVOID”

and 1 more site!
Hotel Palais Cardinal
Ranked #7 of 7 Hotels in Saint-Emilion
Galway, Ireland
“15 reviews are poor/terrible! no smoke without fire! AVOID”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 5, 2012

We had not pre-booked this hotel, Maria the hotel receptionist showed me two rooms in which to choose from. One basic double is very small and stuffy, the other room was indeed bigger but very dark, hardly any natural light entering the room. So we chose the bigger room. My first reaction to my partner was how rude and aggressive I found the receptionist. She has excellent english (having lived in Ireland for 1 year as an au-pair) however she lacks any manners or appreciation for guests staying in the hotel. We felt like we were a hindrance to her, everything was rushed. Once we had brought in our luggage, we went for a couple of drinks in the bar, the menu on the counter quoted a white wine as 3:50, for which Maria charged four euro per white wine (drinks were put on our room). We were told by Maria that breakfast was from 7:30 - 10:00am.
We came down for breakfast at 9:35 only to find that they had removed most of the breakfast condiments. Maria told us that she assumed we were not going to bother turning up for breakfast. At 14 euro per head it is pricey too. There are loads of places to get breakfast in the beautiful saint-emilion for less than half the price. So dont bother with breakfast. When we cam back from breakfast we had our luggage put into the car and were on the terrace on the internet (whcih only works from the reception/bar area). We were walking around to the reception to go settle our bill when Maria came running out looking for the key... It really felt that she thought we were going to try and do a runner, even though she had taken a credit card number from us. Somewhat embarassing to be honest.
We questioned Maria about the white wine, she insisted that we were looking at the wrong menu firstly, when i asked her to bring over the menu she told us that she was working from a different menu. Then she told us that after 7pm it cost more to drink at the bar. I questioned where this was mentioned on the menu. She got irate with us and tried to make us feel like we were the problem. I have never in my life had words with anybody in the services sector like I had with Maria. She is clearly a problem having being mentioned several times before.

I am sorry but I cannot say anything other than AVOID this hotel. There are cheaper and nicer places in this beautiful town. We stayed in a different place in Saint Emilion and thoroughly enjoyed it.

Decor is dated and hotel receptionist Maria is nothing short of appalling.

Room Tip: dont bother in the first place.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
6 Thank john b

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
London, UK
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 16, 2012

I stayed here over last weekend May 2012.

As our trip was for a very special occasion so we treated ourselves to a double luxury room.

I wish we hadnt bothered and took a standard as the luxury double room was a dissapointment as were all the rooms my friends stayed in.

Our double luxury room had 2 twin beds, no views apart from a wall and overall was just a bit old and tired. The breakfast was also steep - a few croissants, slices of cheese, fruit and coffee at a fee of 14 euros per morning on top of the 194.00 euros for the room.

I also couldnt understand why the hotel only had one iron which all visitors had to share, it was pretty tricky to locate it a few hours before the big party we were all there for!

I wouldnt recommend this hotel because its not good value at all.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank LouLondon_UK

Travelers are raving about these Saint-Emilion hotels

5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 22, 2012

We stayed there for one night in September 2011. It is a very nice and pleasant hotel. It is located in Saint-Emilion, walking distance from the village center. We had a nice room. There is a beutiful swimming pool. We had no issue with the hotel's staff (even if while we were there, one of the hotel guests had a very lively discussion with the receptionist). Public parking space close to the hotel. Acceptable value for money.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2012

The hotel is in a grand building, perfect location (the village is so small so any location within it would be convenient). I was dreading Reception (having read comments) but ANNE MARIE was at reception during our 3 days stay and she is exceptionally friendly and helpful. I forgot to bring an adaptor so could not use my own hair drier and Anne Marie brought one to my room after checking in. ANNE MARIE even put the heating on for us before we arrived, so that the room is not cold, and she called us, as we were delayed, to ensure we are ok. ANNE MARIE speaks perfect English and was very helpful answering our questions. The room ("comfort room" with bath & toilet at €100 a night) was small but clean, the bathroom was clean and had both a bath &shower, hair drier and the water pressure was very good (better than many hotels in the UK). Breakfast was not that good and expensive (I think €14), I felt, but it might be personal taste. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at St Emillion, an incredibly beautiful and special little village! The best way to get to St Emilio is: from Bordeaux airport take the bus to Bordeaux (€7) - it is either the bus or taxi, no other public transport. The bus stops at GARE ST JEAN from which trains to ST Emillion leave regularily (€15 return). St Emillion station is a 20 minutes walk to the village (uphill) so the other option would be stop at Libourne and take a taxi from there (€20 for a 7 minutes ride).

Room Tip: I went for the cheapest option of COMFORT room (smaller) with bath and toilet. Price was reasonable...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank LondonTraveller848
Los Angeles
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 14, 2012

I laughed at the previous review's comments about the receptionist. I think I ran across the same one. Unwelcoming, to say the least, until I complimented her boots. Aside from her, however, the staff were all very nice and courteous. I was shown two rooms with different rates. The cheaper one was about on par to what I saw around town for the same price (i.e. not very attractive), and I was then shown a more pricey room, which I took for two nights. It was large and had two sinks in the bathroom, a separate toilet, and large french windows which opened to the lovely inner court. The bed was a comfy king. There were good amenities, good towels, excellent thermostatically-controlled A/C, and the room and hotel were well-maintained and clean. For some reason, the wi-fi did not reach my room so I needed to go to the lobby, but that was ok. It is free. The hotel is basically right in town. The restaurant is highly touted, but I did not eat there. There is a nice swimming pool, as well, and paid, enclosed, locked parking across the street. I recommend this hotel. A very convenient and comfortable place in a pretty building typical of St. Emilion in the center of this most incredible town.

Room Tip: Ask to see your room choices.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank busyflying
Dublin, Ireland
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 28, 2011

I wont bore you with the details but we left a jacket at the hotel and had to return to collect it (3 times). I have never met a more rude or discourteous person as the recptionist who works in the mornings. The other girl who works evenings was lovely which made the whole experience even more surprising.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank D4surfer
Breda, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 25, 2011

We saw the mixed reviews but this was the only available hotel. The receptionist was very friendly and showed us two rooms to choose from. One was a suite and the other was a small double. We chose the double which was very small but comfortable with a nice bathroom. They have very safe private parking! Our stay was pleasant but there were some points of attention. Free wifi but only downstairs and in that room the lights are constantly flickering and driving you mad. All it takes is someone to climb up and give the light a turn.

There is no reception at night and you come in with your own key in a darkish lobby.
All in all it was a good hotel, a good room and staff was very friendly the whole time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple