Le Relais de Franc Mayne
Chateau Grand Barrail(Saint-Emilion)
$301
$242
Hotels.com
Auberge de la Commanderie(Saint-Emilion)(Great Value!)
$123
$80
$161
$187
$487
$470
Chateau Franc-Pourret(Saint-Emilion)
TripAdvisor
Les Logis du Roy(Saint-Emilion)
TripAdvisor
Le Logis de la Cadene(Saint-Emilion)
  • Restaurant
TripAdvisor
All reviewsnatural poolwhite roomwine tourcommon areasgreat terraceplay poolglass of winemain townbordeaux regionthe air conditioningbeautiful chateaucavesgardenfreshwatervineyardschalksaint
Reviewed October 23, 2011

My husband and I checked in on our last night in France. We only had one night here. We stayed in the British Landscape room. It was very pretty. The bathroom was nice. The touches in the room were thoughtful. The staff was friendly and courteous. We loved sitting outside in the VERY comfy chairs with blankets on the back lawn drinking a bottle of wine - just unwinding and looking at the surrounding vineyards. The natural pool was very nice. Too cold to swim, but we sat by it and unwinded.

2 recommendations --

1). We only had one night here, and when we checked in, we were told that there was no space for us to do a wine tasting on the property. I think that when the hotel receives the reservation, and it is only for one night, they should contact you and ask if you would like to have a space reserved as the time/space is limited. That was a bit of a let down in WINE country.

They told us we could try the wine out of the vending machine in the dining room, but we'd have to wait because there was a function taking place in there. So - we have now arrived after a long drive, we can't get do a wine tour or tasting, and we can't get a drink/cocktail/glass of wine. SO - when the people finally cleared out, I went to taste the wine - at a 9-15 Euros per glass (and it was a 3 ounce pour). I just felt let down on this part of the stay. A complimentary (3 ounce) glass/taste of wine would have been very much appreciated after being told after a long drive that we could not do the tasting or access the "vending machine". An opportunity here for a customer WOW was lost.

2). We asked for directions to walk on the footpath into town. They made it sound very simple & close with really no directions. It was VERY confusing. It was not marked. It is actually a narrow road, and not a footpath. I stopped at another winery and asked for directions (thankfully I can speak French!). He showed us the way and finally we found town. It was a very pretty walk. But just confusing!

TIP-- The doors do not lock when you close them. The British Landscape room is on the groundfloor, and the door to the room isn't clearly marked that it is a private guestroom -- it kind of looks like another part of the hotel off of the sitting rooms. I left the room quickly to fetch that expensive 3 ounce taste of wine from the vending machine -- and a man walked right into our room. My husband was naked!! How embaressing!

For dinner, we drove into town. I am not sure what folks do who do not have cars. The taxi fae is outragous as they start charging when they leave the neighboring town. The footpath is really too far to walk at night especially in the pitch dark.

The hotel was very nice. The staff was very friendly. I would stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank AliDog
Reviewed August 22, 2011

The experience of sitting on the patio at Relais Franc Mayne, sipping on a bottle of wine, enjoyed plates of cheese and pâté while watching the sun set over Pomerol with me sweetie is an experience I will treasure for a long time.
We have just completed a three night stay in the black and white room- as stated in the other reviews, this is an eclectically decorated hotel - which we found fun. First things first: the bed was gloriously comfortable, even what apparently was a rollicking thunder storm discussed by the other guests over breakfast failed to rouse us. We loved the large-head rain shower and the spacious bathroom. The buffet breakfast offered a generous selection of choices- breads, sliced meats, cheeses, cereal, fruit, yogurt ... more than enough to get us started.
We found the staff to be abnormally friendly and helpful, providing guidance, making reservations to make sure our time in St Emilion was well spent. Wifi service worked well everywhere except by the pool.
The natural pool was a highlight, although some of our fellow guests seemed to be disturbed by the "natural" aspects, for Canadians, it's not much differnt than swimming in a lake. I think that the attention that must be paid to create and manage such a pool speaks highly of both the planning and execution that seems to have gone into the entire hotel at an environmental level.
The tour of the wine making facilities, which includes a trip through the limestone caves, conducted by AJ, was interesting and informative.
We are already making plans to come back.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank Mheilbron
Reviewed August 10, 2011

We stayed here for a week at the end of July to the beginning of August 11.
This place is exactly as described/ Luxury/Rural/Calm/Relaxing and a really fabulous location. If you enjoy walking (which we love) this place is ideal. You can stroll into St. Emilion via an old roman road, through the vineyards - great!! No mad cars/coming at you.
We had the 'British Landscape' room on the ground floor - just inside the garden door. This is a really lovely room (no bath - but great shower), with one drawback - the people overhead. We were unfortunate, in that 2/ of our 7 nights we had people over our heads - who did not sleep it seemed to us!!? - they keep walking back and forth all night :) - but we got over it, and slept the rest of the nights really well. We did not eat breakfast - so, can't comment on this, but they have a really lovely outside terrace where you can take breakfast - this is not shown on their website, which is a shame. Food and drinks are available, - you just ask at reception - food seems lovely - certainly - tea was very welcome and not expensive. There is wine available as you wish, but overall, the wine in this region (St. Emilion) is most expensive - due to the prestige associated with it, so, certainly, don't expect to get cheap wine anywhere here !! :( - St. Emillion itself, is fantastic!!! Not overrun at all. Yes, it is a little busy by day, but really peaceful at night time. There is a great selection of restuarants to choose from. We had lunch most days in the Medieval ( at the bottom of the town) Great find!!, and 3 nights in Le Tertre (this is outstanding !! - Menus @ €31 for three courses. If you are like us, debating and wondering about accommodation and location for holidays - you won't be disappointed with this place, and you will love St. Emilion!!! - Wish I was there now :(

Room Tip: Get a room in the main house - as these are fine period square rooms. Ground floor rooms will hear those overhead walking.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank comfortfun
Reviewed July 23, 2011

Ok - I ask for a recommendation from a friend for a hotel and he gave me this one. What I failed to ask him was - did he like it and does he have some wierd fascination for terrible decor. I didn't look at the website or review tripadvisor before booking...so I do blame myself.
It set in an ideal location, surrounded by vineyards, 1km from St Emilion...it's a French country house hotel - it should be perfect....it isn't.
The decor in the house is at best described as eclectic and at worst done up by amateurs with little or no taste and judgement. Seriously what's wrong with French country house hotels looking like...well French country house hotels. I know everyone has different ideas on style, but the themed rooms are really awful. I know in the 90's daring to be different was the decorating rage...but time has moved and and sadly this hotel hasn't - Parts of it are in serious need of a makeover - rooms especially.
Staff at reception are helpful, but that's about it...getting a drink is a painfully slow experience. Wifi/tv are best described as intermittent or non-existent
The best bit about the hotel are the 'Fatboy' loungers by the pool...i'm going to buy some for home.
Liked St Emilion, liked the region, liked the wine....and hope this hotel has a makeover soon

Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
5  Thank stevejfarrow
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We arrived at the Franc Mayne and were immediately impressed by the setting. The chateau is impressive - the lounge, the snooker room, the garden and natural pool are all excellent and our room (Asian Mood) was tastefully decorated. The front desk were very helpful on arrival , providing us with some excellent restaurant recommendations for the evening.
Unfortunately that's as good as it got and it's fair to say first class service is not the chateau's primary objective. Our issues were mainly:

1. Wifi in the room didn't work
2. Flat screen tv in room didn't work
3. Swimming pool was freezing (they did warn us  it wasn't heated however it really is too cold to swim in and the weather was in the high 20s for us).
4. The self service wine machine,whilst a good idea is overpriced and only provides a small, half glass, tasting portion.
5. The free bottle of wine was dreadful and wasn't even on their wine list. You would think that the chateau would offer at very least a bottle of Franc Mayne Wine- surely that is the appeal of staying at a Grand Cru Classe Chateau.
6. There were no coffee and tea making facilities in the room
7. Although menus were available in the room you had to go to the front desk to order anything. There was no waiter service at the pool, in the lounge and there was no bar.
8. My wife asked if the Chateau had any lifestyle magazines -she was told in no uncertain terms that the Chateau didn't offer this service.

We took some of the above concerns to the front desk and whilst someone came to look at the tv and wifi straight away they had no solution to the problem leaving us with no wifi and no tv for the remainder of our stay.  We were told that they couldn't do anything about our issues and would pass our comments on to the chateau owner .... and here lies the heart of the problem. The staff are not service orientated and guests are left with the feeling that they are staying in someone's house rather than in a hotel and that any issues we had were definitely our problem rather than theirs. This was the most disappointing aspect of our stay. We have stayed at Chateau Vigiers, Chateau Grand Barreill and La Sauce de Caudelie -all are a better class of hotel completely to Franc Mayne. When we put this to the front desk the woman told us that Franc Mayne doesn't  compete with those hotels as Franc Mayne is not star rated - that made me laugh.

We paid nearly £300 for a one night stay here (excluding breakfast). Completely and utterly over priced. I have waited a week for the owner to get back to me - nothing so I have finally written this review. We await the owners response to our comments especially how they can charge so much for a room in which most of the electrical equipment doesn't work. Out of order.

I will finish by saying that this place has so much potential if they can start providing service levels to match the excellence of chateau and its surroundings.

Please see my other trip advisor reviews to see I have been very reasonable in my past reviews.

• Stayed: July 2011