“Stunning but a few improvements needed”

Chateau Grand Barrail
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint-Emilion
Reviewed May 6, 2014

This hotel is stunning with high quality furnishings and a lovely air of elegance. The staff were helpful and attentive and the grounds were gorgeous. The location was great, very close to Saint Emilion.

We had a room with a lovely balcony and an amazing view and the room was luscious with thick towels and bathrobes. The beds were covered in very high quality linen and were the most comfortable hotel beds I have ever slept in - head it the pillow and then it was morning!

Although I have a few dislikes which I will come to, I would still recommend this hotel 100% as the things I disliked are very small improvements that I would suggest the hotel make and did not detract from an amazing experience.

The breakfast is €24 which is nothing less than extortion for the spread that was available. Only boiled eggs and quite poor pastries with a few cereals and fruit. I have read that people had eggs & omelettes etc but I wasn't offered this and didn't know the option was available. When asked what I wanted to drink (hot) and I requested coffee, I was directed to a Nespresso machine which I wasn't happy about. When in France, at an expensive hotel, I really would have expected fresh coffee to be poured at my table. It wouldn't be too much for this hotel to provide a proper breakfast, fresh from the kitchen seeing as how expensive it is. If it was €10, it probably would be more acceptable but for the price, it is clearly a rip off. This is a real shame as it really does let the hotel down.

The second thing was the bar closing at 12.30am and not only that, being told that we had to leave the bar area and would need to go to the smoking room if we wanted to stay up later!

There was also not hot drink making facilities in our room which was very disappointing and is an easy thing for the hotel to provide.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Rosa B, Front Office Manager at Chateau Grand Barrail, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2014

Dear LittleMissCritical,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a complete and detailed review of your stay in our hotel in St Emilion, we have really appreciated your remarks.

Regarding your suggestions to improve our quality, we have already shared your comments with my team for appropriate immediate action.

Please be assured that your constructive comments provide us with valuable information which in turn will help us to improve our service levels.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

Rosa BELLON

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Stayed one night during Easter with a great value Gourmet Dinner Package, can thoroughly recommend it. We had 2 two rooms in the Annexe (ground floor and first floor) the ground floor room has doors leading out to a small terrace immediately in front of the vineyards and the first floor a large balcony. Both rooms were beautiful, a good size and well equipped. The staff here were and have always been friendly and efficient. The grounds are also lovely to walk around.

A nice swimming pool where we took advantage of the good weather, a superb dinner and the following morning we spent time in the Spa (using the Jacuzzi, Hammam, Steam Room, Sauna) which was a lovely relaxing way to finish off the stay.

This is our 4th stay here and it just gets better and better !

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Rosa B, Front Office Manager at Chateau Grand Barrail, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2014

Dear traveller,

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of our hotel.

It is always a pleasure for the our entire team to receive such praises and we are more than delighted that you and your family enjoyed both our facilities and the quality of service we aim to provide.

Looking forward to welcoming you back for your next trip with your family,

Reviewed April 23, 2014

Overall we were impressed with the building and vineyards surrounding the hotel. However, there are some negatives which kind of ruined our relaxing holiday at Saint-Emilion.
Firstly, as we went there in a large group, some of us booked superior rooms and some booked deluxe rooms in which deluxe room price is around 20% higher. Upon the check-in, the reception staff said that the hotel has only deluxe type of room so all of us were ended up with higher price than what we booked with booking.com without any prior notification.
Secondly, other staffs are nice except the lady at the reception. She has NO service-mind and was not willing to help. She also talked impolitely to hotel guests.
Lastly, the hotel totally overcharged the breakfast. The 24 euros breakfast has nothing but boiled eggs, a little bit of pastries, and ham. The hotel I stayed earlier in this trip charged us cheaper with a full-range of breakfast.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Rosa B, Front Office Manager at Chateau Grand Barrail, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2014

Dear PW21021,

Thank you for your review.

Our valued guests comments are crucial to us and we appreciate you taking the time to provide us your constructive feedback.

I was at the reception when you arrived and I did my best for you and your friends before your arrival and during your stay at the Grand Barrail.

During your check in, I took my time to explain you about your reservation because you asked for all the rooms with twin bed and I found a great solution for your group. I thought, you were agreed with my explanation.

I am very sorry if you did not understand what I tried to tell you. I would like to apologize for any possible inconveniences. Please do not hesitate to contact me any time. I would try to find a solution for you.

We always endeavor to offer the highest level of service but it appears that we failed to meet your expectations.

We hope we will have the chance to welcome you back soon

Reviewed April 21, 2014

We ended up at Chateau Grand Barrail after our original hotel for the evening failed us. Chateau Grand Barrail was exactly what we needed to turn our spirits around. The grounds, views, and rooms are gorgeous (and very clean). Upon arrival we were greeted with smiles and very helpful staff. An example of the attentive service - we didn't go down for dinner that evening as we'd eaten enough throughout the day, however just before the kitchen closed a member of staff came to our room to check we didn't want anything else before closing. We thought this was a lovely touch.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family

Dear Mr JPumilia,

It was a real pleasure to greet you during your stay, thank you for your post!

Your compliments have been shared with our team members who were glad to note that their professional and friendly attitude contributed to your enjoyable stay.

Merci and see you next time,

Reviewed April 13, 2014

I stayed one night at Chateau Grand Barrail whist tasting the Bordeaux En Primeur wines in April 2014.

From arriving I was made to feel special; being shown the room, having everything explained, help with luggage if required. Checkin was easy and the room in the main Chateau delightful. Good sized room, lots of storage space, comfy chair and desk, huge bathroom with deep bath and powerful shower, small balcony overlooking vineyards - wonderful. It's in easy walking distance of the main St Emilion properties; I walked to Ch Dominique in about 15 minutes through Ch Figeac and past Ch Cheval Blanc.

The hotel restaurant was excellent. I chose one of the set menus and the food was excellent; well presented, good flavour, cheeseboard to die for. And I didn't feel uncomfortable eating on my own. Service was good and attentive.

The breakfast was OK, well presented and fresh but perhaps a little limited in scope. I did have an omelette though which was lovely and fluffy.

The bedroom had a Nespresso coffee machine in it which was great, and a minibar which I didn't use. The free wifi worked well everywhere.

It's not the cheapest hotel in the area, but for a bit of a splash out I'd recommend it

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled on business

Dear mr ROBERT H,

Following your stay at our hotel, you were kind enough to leave a remarks on this website.

Your comments are extremely important as they provide a motive for continuous improvement.

Your enthusiasm for our hotel, restaurant and specially for our staff is very much appreciated and will be a great source of motivation for the entire team.

Thank you again for the courtesy of your time and we all look forward to welcoming you again at the château Grand Barrail n a not too distant future.

Yours sincerely

Reviewed April 4, 2014

We have stayed at this very good and convenient hotel for many years but thought it was worthy of a mention on Trip advisor. They are very helpful and polite.The food was very good and we were very impressed this time.

Room Tip: any room facing the beautiful gardens
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank A R
Rosa B, Front Office Manager at Chateau Grand Barrail, responded to this reviewResponded April 9, 2014

Dear A R,

It is always a pleasure to receive such praises and we are more than delighted that you appreciated the personnal attention given by our team.

We are really happy to note that you both enjoyed the quality of service we aim to provide and thank you for your comments concerning the food and the service from our restaurant.

We sincerely hope we will have the pleasure to welcome you next year,

Rosa BELLON

Reviewed March 3, 2014

We have just enjoyed a three night stay at the Chateau and can only say what a wonderful experience it was. We booked a bed and breakfast package and decided to eat in the hotel restaurant on the first night as we didn't want to go too far as we had had a four hour drive to get there. The service was attentive, helpful and cheerful.

Although the set menu only had a small number of choices for entrees and for the main course, all were tempting. The food was beautifully presented and bursting with flavours superbly complementing each other. Consequently we decided, having looked at the restaurants in St Emilion and Pomerol, to eat again at the hotel on the second night. We were though, a little concerned that we would run out of choices from the set menu, but after discussion with Marie Laure, the waitress in charge, she reassured us that the chef would offer a selection from the a la carte within the set menu price. On the third night the chef even proposed a special menu, which after discussion we were only too happy to accept.

And how glad we were! The food just seemed to get better and better. At all times Vincent, the Maitre D was on hand to keep a close eye on proceedings to make sure that the restaurant ran smoothly. He and his staff are a credit to the hotel and after only three weeks at his post things are moving forward at a great pace. Congratulations and thank you for a wonderful time.

Our room (No 226) in the Maison Bien Etre was very comfortable and immaculately maintained, with lovely views over the park and the front of the chateau. It was a shame that there were no tea and coffee making facilities but, in the reception area, complimentary tea and coffee were available during the afternoon.

One down side to the hotel is the size of the spa and another is the lateness of its opening in the morning as we would have liked to go in before breakfast and therefore avoid the crowds. Even though we stayed out of season in February, it became very busy on Saturday afternoon and the jacuzzi quickly became full very and didn't enable everybody to partake who wanted to.

A covered pool would have been nice too!

Based on our experience we would definitely return in the not too distant future.

Room Tip: Would recommend our room but cannot comment on the others as we didn't see them. In Febraury not...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Pinsonniere
Rosa B, Responsable réception at Chateau Grand Barrail, responded to this reviewResponded March 13, 2014

Dear Pinsonniere,

It was a real pleasure to greet you during your stay, thank you for your post and your comments!

We are delighted to read that we were able to exceed your expectations in terms of service and that you found our facilities to be of such great value.

Looking forward to welcoming you back soon,

Front Office Manager

Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Emilion
Hostellerie de Plaisance
Hotel Palais Cardinal
Hotel Palais Cardinal
#7 of 7 in Saint-Emilion
Chateau Lamothe du Prince Noir - Bordeaux
Chateau Lamothe du Prince Noir -...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Sulpice-et-Cameyrac

Been to Chateau Grand Barrail? Share your experiences!