“Brilliant”

Chateau Grand Barrail
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Saint-Emilion
Reviewed May 20, 2013

Had 2 fantastic nights here. The rooms are spotless, large, and very elegant. The toilet and shower and seperate within your room for privacy. The breakfast at €24 pp is good with choice of cooked eggs/omlettes with the remainder being a good continental selection. The dinner menu although small was 1st class with great wines on the menu as one would expect for the region. Staff are very very good and highly professional. The grounds are stunning...wish we could have stayed longer as its only 4km to the stunning town of St Emilion. We did have our son with us and it was €50 for him per night with the room having a huge amount of space to easily accomodate the rolled in bed? With a gym, spa and heated outdoor pool we could not have needed more

Room Tip: Room with a balcony would be very good
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed May 13, 2013

Our family lived in 3 indvidual rooms, 2 facing the vineyards and 1 with a giant balcony and a gorgeous view. We agreed that we had the best nights of sleep in this chateau, maybe because of the zen/fairy-tale surroundings. Reception was friendly, although some had difficulty speaking English, they do put effort into communicating and help us with all our requests. Wi-fi is free but quite slow. Dinner at the hotel was phenomenal. I had the most tender and juicy pigeon in a long while. Service was a tad slow. By dessert, some of us were feeling extremely tired (probably because of jet lag). The hotel offered to bring the dessert to our rooms while we rested :) The location is just 5 minutes drive from town- or if you're up to it, the chateau has bicycles available for guests.

Room Tip: Ask for a room facing the vineyard
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed April 18, 2013

Our hosts in St Etienne de Lisse suggested we try this restaurant out and their advice to date has been spot on. This time they exceeded our expectations. This restaurant is exceptional in style, service and food. We were lucky to have the whole restaurant to ourselves for a mid week lunch. The lunch was faultless, food to die for, my wife actually had the full dessert menu and declared the best she has had in France. She's doing that a lot lately but from the eye of a non dessert person, they did look exceptional. We wandered the beautiful grounds after lunch and then had a leisurely drive back to our place. I would strongly recommend a trip here for a meal if in the St Emilion area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2013

My room, situated in the renovated wing was large, very comfortable and overlooked vineyards as far as the eye could see. That evening we opted for the Menu de Terroir. For my main I selected Le Pigeon de « Marie Le Guen » … Filet farci de foie gras, fine polenta crémeuse, petits légumes au poivre vert. The best pigeon I have ever tasted- even better than Ducasse! So congratulations to chef Romain Gondras. Excellent local wines- predominately the merlot grape- made the meal perfect.
Breakfast the next morning was good. Rare to find a chef who knows how to cook scrambled eggs to perfection. The bacon was perfect too.
Points that need immediate attention however:
Long milk like stains running down the insides of the glass elevator shafts.
Daily newspapers and magazines draped untidily over the stone balustrades leading up to the bar and the restaurants.
The empty stone amphora on either side of the steps leading up to the bar need filling with bright seasonal flowers. Empty, they looked sad and neglected.
The bread during dinner on the second evening was served on coffee saucers!! Not good.
In spite of asking for olive oil to go with the bread, the request remained unanswered.
The ceiling recessed lighting over the far left table in the main dining room reminded me of what one expects to find in an FBI interrogation room!!
My very early morning wake up call never came- happily I had my own back up. When remarking upon this when I arrived down at the reception, the night receptionist -who was busy with his vacuum cleaner- said he forgot but anyway the automatic system was out of order. He actually offered me la taxe de séjour!! Not any help if I had missed my flight!
My hope is that the GM- Mr Xavier Parent reads this review. With a little more 'hands on' attention this property would be a lot better.

Room Tip: Rooms in Le Chateau are fun. However I preferred the recently refurbished ones in the wings. Much q...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 24, 2013

Nice place, but spa is not the reason to go there...
Large room, pretty good restaurant with very friendly service, you'll certainly enjoy.
The spa access is not covered, so you'll have to walk on a wet alley if it's raining (and it was) to reach a microscopic jacuzzi, just large enough for 4 people. You'll have to accept having 10 people around watching you and clearly expecting you to leave the place, in orde to take yours... No one was there at the desk to welcome us, no phone to call anyone, so we had to walk back the wet way to find towels and a locker key....... Not acceptable for such a hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room without halogen lamps above the bed...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Vitaminex
Reviewed January 4, 2013

First of all when we arrived @ the hotel our room wasn't ready & we had to wait a while. In Paris our room wasn't available either because of our very early arrival but they were very gracious and offered us a complimentary breakfast while we waited. We weren't offered as much as a glass of water. Not the kind of service you would expect from a 4-star hotel.

We checked into our room (very nice on the ground floor with a private patio). We were told we could walk into town or rent a bike from them. Since it was only a couple of miles & was a pretty day we decided to walk it. The front desk person suggested the road in front of the hotel. Once on the road we realized that was a mistake. A fairly narrow country road with a fair amount of traffic leading into St Emilion. We took a taxi back.

The first night I got up to use the restroom @ 3am and our bathroom had water leaking all over the floor and out onto the carpet in the hall of our room. I called the desk @ 8 am and was told maintenance would be by @ 9. At 9:45 we still had heard nothing so I called again. We were told we would have to repack our suitcases and would have to change rooms. While we were waiting for them to move us we had their €24/person breakfast. We had been seated for perhaps 10 minutes when we were told that breakfast was only being served for 5 more minutes if we wanted to order eggs which we did. The room we were moved into was comparable but so warm we had to open windows (could find no thermostat)

After spending a day in St Emilion I went to the desk early evening to pay for the room. The desk person said that wasn't necessary but I explained that our taxi was coming @ 5:40 am & I didn't want to be rushed. He told me that I would get my final copy of bill in the morning when we left as there was always someone @ the desk 24/7.

When we got to the reception desk @ 5:40 we could see the cab waiting through the sliding glass doors. There was nobody at the reception desk but I had settled up the previous night so I wasn't concerned. Unfortunately the sliding glass door was LOCKED and we could not open it. We frantically looked through the hotel for any employee to help but could find nobody!! Finally my daughter found a small unlocked office with a French door to the outside. Unfortunately it had a tall hedge surrounding the patio outside the office. The taxi driver had to help us negotiate the hedge with all of our luggage! We barely made it to the train station to catch our train to Paris.

As you can tell from our experience this hotel was a disaster & I wouldn't recommend it to anybody!! I shutter to think what would have happened if we'd had a medical emergency or had there been a fire!! Not a very impressive experience with a "4-star" hotel. Several attempts by both my travel agent and myself to communicate with the hotel have been ignored, thus this review, to hopefully prevent others from making the same mistake in staying at this property!!

Room Tip: Rooms in the town of St. Emilion are much closer to good restaurants, excellent wine shops, etc.
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank Eft425
Reviewed November 6, 2012

We had a wonderful stay at Chateau Grand Barrail. We were lucky to stay four nights. Our room was a large renovated room in the annex, with a terrace overlooking the vineyards. We loved ordering breakfast in every morning. Unfortunately, for two of our nights a guest nearby smoked cigarettes outside, and the breeze carried it over to our terrace. The staff was very helpful with directions and reservations. This hotel is actually walking distance to Saint-Emilion (a long walk), but bicycles are available, and it is an easy drive and parking if you have a car. We drove around the countryside, and also explored Saint-Emilion. The hotel restaurant is exceptional, and we dined three out of our four nights right at the hotel, after returning from a busy day of exploring. A highlight was visiting the restaurant at Troplong Mondot (a recommendation I read on Trip Advisor). We sat outside for lunch one day and loved it so much, we decided to return for our last dinner inside their beautiful dining room. This is something you do not want to miss. Their wine is wonderful, too. Market day was fun in Libourne. The hotel is pricey, but we really loved our stay.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MFSSantaBarbara
Also consider these accommodations in or near Saint-Emilion
Hostellerie de Plaisance
Auberge de la Commanderie
Auberge de la Commanderie
#4 of 7 in Saint-Emilion
Chateau Lamothe du Prince Noir - Bordeaux
Chateau Lamothe du Prince Noir -...
#1 of 2 in Saint-Sulpice-et-Cameyrac
Yndohotel
Yndohotel
#1 of 177 in Bordeaux
2 mi away
Hotel Palais Cardinal
Hotel Palais Cardinal
#7 of 7 in Saint-Emilion

Been to Chateau Grand Barrail? Share your experiences!