“Fabulously quiet and lovely hosts!”

La Petite Madeleine
Ranked #3 of 24 Saint-Emilion B&B and Inns
Exeter, United Kingdom
“Fabulously quiet and lovely hosts!”
Reviewed April 25, 2014 via mobile

We stayed here for 2 nights during a fairly busy week's holiday in France. It was really lovely to relax in this very quiet and comfortable b & b. The rooms are simply furnished but very cool and clean & have everything you need plus views over acres of vineyards. The hosts are very welcoming and the meal with them is an excellent option. St Emilion is well worth visiting and only a few km from here

Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank KarenB12345

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Reviewed April 15, 2014

We had a wonderful stay--from the charming rooms to Veronique and ThorInge's outstanding recommendations for vineyard tours, restaurant, and local wine store. They even made a delicious dinner for us on our last night. It was nice to relax and enjoy dinner and another outstanding local wine without having to drive anywhere afterwards.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Scott, Louisiana
Reviewed November 22, 2013

We returned to beautiful St. Emilion for a 4 day retreat, visiting with a friend / wine broker (who arranged several chateau visits for us. I booked with La Petite Madeleine through Trip Advisor reviews and we were NOT disappointed. This is a lovely cottage home with ample parking and beautiful scenery. The home is surrounded by vineyards, which makes for nice walks. The location to St. Emilion is excellent!

Our room was nice; comfy bed and beautiful view of the vineyards. The downstairs was nice for relaxing and checking our email and such, or just reading. Breakfast was always delicious and we enjoyed visiting with the other guests, as well as Veronique and Thor Inge. We had very interesting visits with our hosts, being Thor Inge and my husband had Norwegian connections!

We had an absolutely delicious dinner one evening at Chateau Candale (which was set by Veronique). A must if you have time. Another must is having the dinner offered by the B&B....which we did and it was absolutely worth every penny. Thor Inge is a professional chef and the food was fabulous! The wine he offers with the dinner is exceptional.

So enjoyed our time here and knowing we will return to St. Emilion again, this is where we will be staying. Like going back home!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank haaland0421
West Midlands, England
Reviewed November 7, 2013

We stayed for one night at La Petite Madeleine while on a short break in the area. It is in a lovely spot surrounded (as you might expect) by vineyards. The room was large and comfortable and the owners were perfect hosts. They booked us dinner at the local Chateau Candale and we were able to walk there (very wet so unfortunately had to walk by road and not through the vineyards). A very relaxing stay and we hope to return.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed October 22, 2013

We stayed at La Petite Madeleine for 4 nights during a short trip to the Saint Emilion region in September. Veronique and ThorInge were wonderfully welcoming, very friendly and offered lots of tips of things to do in the area, as well as booking our dinner at the nearby Chateau Candale(highly recommended, by the way!). Thor Inge's dinner is not to be missed - we had a lovely evening with the other guests and our host. Our suite was spacious, beautifully decorated and spotless. The surroundings are magnificent and the guest house is in walking distance from Saint Emilion. We felt really at home for our short stay and would definitely stay again - thank you!

Room Tip: Go for the suite!
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Wichita, Kansas
Reviewed October 13, 2013

I had to stay the weened in France for work and needed someplace to stay. I chose St. Emilion because a friend of mine wants to visit so I thought I would make increase his ambitions by visiting myself. First off the region and town is amazing, in saying that I think it is due in part to staying at La Petite Madeleine. The hosts are very nice and well informed of the area, the house is old and quite nice (you probably won't spend much time there), and the people I met were amazing.

First, I highly recommend that people reading this try to think of the experience they want and then try to find it. The reason I stayed at a B&B was because I wanted to know the land and territory from a locals perspective and the price was quite cheap. The icing on the cake was the people I met during my stay. Everything is so much more personable at a B&B that one gains experience and friends a lot easier than one might at a hotel.

Review- The house has be remodeled mainly by Thor (owner) and he has done a very nice job. My room consist mainly of a bed and bathroom, which was perfectly suited to my needs. The shower was hot, water was consistent, the bed was so comfortable. Keep in mind that during the fall and winter in parts of Europe they use 1 comforter and no sheets. Basically in the hotels I sweet all night until I'm cold, then cover up and start the process all over. Veronique told me that my room was cold and I could turn on the wall heater which I did not and slept better than I have the entire trip.

The breakfast was very good and fun talking with the others, the scenery is breathtaking, at least for me who is a wine lover. There are some caves withing a few 100meters of the place for exploring, a vineyard with food about 3-5 minute walk, and St. Emilion about 3k away.

The B&B offers bikes to get to St. Emilion (I recommend since parking is limited and would cost about $15 for all day (just a guess). There are numerous Chateaus (always make a reservation, email works, Veronique will help if you ask) and Thor will cook if you schedule which unfortunately I didn't think about and therefore did not get to partake but the other guests said it was very good.

Recap- Great experience, if you rent a car have a navigator or GPS, schedule visits to the Chateaus, ask Thor to cook, enjoy not only the wine of St. Emilion but the history as well.

Room Tip: If you can't take stairs, ask for ground floor.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Matt G
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed October 10, 2013

We made a decision to spend some time in the Bordeaux region, but wanted to stay out of and away from the city. St. Emilion sounded great, so we looked for a place in the area. We happened to luck into La Petite Madeleine.

I called to see if they might have a room left (the online booking via booking sites showed they were full), and to our delight, there was one room left. Veronique answered the phone, and she just happens to speak perfect English. SCORE! She was darling on the phone, and we immediately decided to head toward Bordeaux.

Thank goodness Veronique had given us directions. Without them, we'd never have found the place! La Petite Madeleine is out in the middle of the vineyard country...truly in the middle of a vineyard. The setting is just gorgeous!

We arrived, took our luggage to our room, and went to do some recon. St. Emilion is just over the hill, and we were stunned at the beauty of this village! JUST GORGEOUS!!

Before we left to explore the immediate area, Thoringe (he's Norwegian....I have zero idea how to spell his name) asked if we would be back for dinner. Dinner? Thor, who is Veronique's husband, turns out to be a chef, and we said, "Absolutely!" What a great evening. Over a big dining room table, we met other couples that were staying there, and had a really terrific evening. The food was very nice, the wine was awesome, and the company was magnifique! We feel like we made some new friends. What a great group of people!!

The room was adequate....nothing fancy, but plenty of room and a nice bathroom. The bed was very comfortable. And SO quiet! When Veronique and Thor bought and redid the place, the one thing they insisted on was soundproofing the rooms. They are so quiet that we didn't even hear people going up and down the wooden staircase...even though it was right across from our bedroom door!

We did a day trip up to the La Gironde and visited the great Bordeaux wineries. Definitely worth the trip! But one thing we quickly agreed on was that the area was not nearly as beautiful as the area around St. Emilion.

We will definitely be back. We adored our stay here. What a fabulous place!

Thank you, Veronique and Thor! You made our stay so very special!

Room Tip: All of the rooms have their own appeal. Ask Veronique for her favorite!
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple