“Nice place to stop for a quick sushi lunch”
Review of Taka House

Taka House
Ranked #26 of 128 Restaurants in Webster
Cuisines: Sushi, Japanese
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
1,980 restaurant reviews
“Nice place to stop for a quick sushi lunch”
Reviewed July 25, 2013

I stopped into Taka House for the first time today, and was pleasantly surprised. This place had been a Japanese steakhouse under previous ownership, and it isn't too much different today. It advertises "authentic Japanese cuisine," and the menu includes sections for hibachi grilling, terriyaki dishes, and lots of sushi. As a matter of fact, most of the menu is dedicated to sushi, with single plates, combination platters, and even "group meals" for 2-4 diners.

I ordered a green salad and a "Dragon Roll," which was eel, rice, and some other tasty stuff rolled up and cut into about 8-10 wheels. It was pretty tasty, and I liked the fact that the rice (or other substance) inside the rolls was a bit on the crispy side, as though there was some fried benthos in there. The price was quite reasonable ($10.95), and was well worth the price. Also, thy have that really unique Japanese salad dressing that is a mixture of pureed tomato, ginger, onion, carrot, and more. It's delicious, and I haven't found that anyplace else ni Rochester since the original Fuji Ya erstaurant closed in the late 1980s.

The only downfalls of this restaurant are; 1) it's small...about a dozen tables, so it might fill up quickly in busy hours, and 2) some of the terriyaki dishes are a bit on the costly side for lunch ($13-17), although I didn't ask if that was a dinner price or a lunch price.

By the way, although this restaurant advertises and serves hibachi food, I could not see a hibachi grill anywhere in the restaurant. They may prepare it in the back, but they couldn't possibly make a show of it as in other Japanese restaurants.

In summary, this was a nice place to get quality sushi at a decent price. I would gladly visit again.

• Visited July 2013

“Very good sushi!”
Reviewed June 9, 2013

I ate here in the past.. I found the sushi to be fresh and tasty.. I recommend people consider going to this restaurant!

• Visited January 2013
“food and service poor”
Reviewed August 31, 2012

i ordered simple sushi rolls. there were good. my girlfriend ordered the hibachi. it was terrible. the texture of the chicken was like it was prepared in a microwave oven and it did not taste good at all. the sauce did not have much flavor to it. our server never came over to check on us and when we called her over to let her know we believe there is a white hair in the hibachi dish, she asked "is it white". we replied "yes". she stated " thats fabric hair and walked away. no apology or anything. needless to say, we will not be eating there again. the place is casual, about 20 tables.

• Visited August 2012
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great sushi, very attentive staff”
Reviewed March 28, 2012

I was in the mood to try a new Sushi place and this one caught my eye since it's right next door to one of my new favorites, Mona Lisa Cafe.

This is a quaint Japanese steakhouse that has both Hibachi and a sushi bar. When we went there, there was a sushi chef and our waitress. I'm not sure, but I believe they're a couple and this is a family-run business.

The waitress was *very* attentive to our needs! She came around just the right amount of time (not too much, not too little). We never had to wait long for anything, especially drink refills.

They had a special for 2 people, buy 4 rolls of sushi and get salad or soup included. My wife and I got that and both chose the ginger dressing salad, which was great!

The sushi was very good! Decently priced and well made. I thought there was plenty of fish in the sushi. I was satisfied with it.

We'll definitely stop by again to try the Hibachi sometime.

• Visited March 2012
Rochester, New York
“Must be the best sushi in town”
Reviewed September 12, 2011

Our family and friends have been going to Taka House for several years now, and we always cannot wait to come back. Very tasty sushi, probably the best we have tried. The atmosphere is friendly and not rushy. The place is family owned and operated (you don't see it any more), which makes the whole experience totally different then going to a chain place, or to a large restaurant. The food is always fresh and done with care and devotion. Recommend to anyone who either likes sushi, or who would like to start liking sushi!
One more thing, this is for parents - they are very kids friendly. I don't want to say that there are always kids running around there, not at all, normally it is a quite and relaxing place, but if you were to go there with kids, you will feel totally comfortable.

• Visited September 2011