“Don't Even Go for the View”
Review of Castaways

Castaways
Ranked #39 of 130 Restaurants in Webster
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Rochester's best know waterfront restaurant for over 85 years. Serving mouth watering seafood, steak, prime rib and chef specialties. Children's menu available.
Reviewed July 8, 2013

I have never written a bad review, but I don't want other people to suffer through the sub standard food and service at Castaways! My friend and I were there on a warm Saturday night at 8 p.m. and waited an hour for a table, which is understandable. We had drinks and apps at a wobbly, wet table outside in the "lounge area." When we were finally seated, we found out that our bill for the drinks had to be paid separately; it wasn't added to our dinner bill. Not a big deal, except that the girl that had waited on us in the lounge area kept stopping by while we were trying to order, asking if the bill was "all set." We finally put our menus down and paid her so she'd go away. There were no specials to choose from, only a weird, limited menu. I had the fish fry that didn't even come with a salad and my friend ordered a broiled fish. When our meals came, the waitress told my friend that she had gotten her salt potatoes because they were all out of the baked potato that she ordered! I have never had a waitress substitute without even asking! My friend could have had rice or pasta, but the salt potatoes were already on her plate, so she just took them. Turns out both her potatoes and her fish were cold. My fish fry was $18, and I've had better at Schaller's! The fries it came with were clearly from the bottom of the barrel, overcooked and broken. After a trip to the disgusting bathroom, we'd had enough. The server brought our check, and again, before we could pay, she stopped over and asked if it was "all set." I'm not sure if they get stiffed there a lot, but I could almost see why. No one likes to pay for bad food and bad service. The view doesn't make up for that.

2  Thank Eatingelsewhere

Reviewed June 23, 2013

Ok, so they have a great location, great view. But, don't go for the food. Just don't do it. We were a party of 10. Ordered drinks, and 3 appetizers. So far so good. My second Margarita had no salt, and I specifically asked for it on the first drink. Shouldn't the second one come with salt? It is not like there are 100 people ordering different margaritas at this place... Then the main courses came. Well, 8 of them came. Then about 5 minutes later the other 2 showed up. Scallops were not fully cooked. Prime rib was full of fat, and had to be sent back. The neptune salad was marginal, at best. The lobster roll was not lobster, but an imitation. Really? Our bill was over $300 and that was after applying a $100 gift card. Only the fried food seemed good. What happened? It was never awesome there, but not even marginal? So sad. We will not be back unless we are only getting the crab dip and some beer. Unfortunately, I don't think I'll even go back for that. Not to mention, I never complain. Never. Never write a bad review. Ever. So, unfortunately this was my first terrible review. They earned it. I will say that our waitress was very kind. She was working hard and tried hard, but I think she has too many obstacles to overcome.

1  Thank gottaluvthebeach
Reviewed April 17, 2013

Food was very BAD Service from the waitress was very slow and she was not friendly at all The prices were very high (NEVER AGAIN)

1  Thank jole pine p
Reviewed March 2, 2013

My friend had a Groupon for 30.00 so we decided to go for Drinks and appetizers.
We each started with an alcoholic drink and then we both had French Onion Soup that was so very good. Brasechetta and Two Crab Cakes. The food was amazing, especially the Crab Cakes. The Waitress was fast, friendly and we had a great time.You should come here in the Winter even though it is popular for it's outdoor setting. Everything was delicious.

Reviewed January 12, 2013

Never had a bad experience at Castaway. The food value and service is always great at Castaways. Even wonderful in winter. Don't miss this great experience.