“So much for second chances...”
Review of Peaches Cafe - CLOSED

No photo provided
Got a photo?
Add it.
Peaches Cafe
Cuisines: American
Webster, New York
“So much for second chances...”
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I have avoided returning to this restaurant because customer service is NOT a strength of the owner! But I decided to give it another try today. Big mistake! Apparently, common courtesy and good manners are NOT his strength either!

Visited December 2011
3 Thank Sylvia T

Rochester, New York
“Inconsistant. Creepy host.”
Reviewed September 17, 2011

I have been to Peaches several times and for the most part, the food has been OK and affordable -- however, I won't be back. The food has not been consistant and number one reason I have made this evening my last time I eat there is the absolutely creepy host, who I'm pretty sure is likely the owner, as he has been there every time I have been there. He attempts to shake your hand before he seats you as if he believes he has known you all his life but with someone he feels forced to shake hands with . I'm not against hand shaking, but his delivery of it and the fakeness of it is very unsettling and downright creepy. I'm there for a meal, not to add new names to my Holiday card list. The color scheme and fixtures are nice for a cafe, however, the bare walls, lack of decor and the computer inkjet printed signs on white paper really make the place look cheap. There are far too many other restaurants in and around town to patronize to give this place another shot.

• Visited September 2011
5 Thank Izityou
Rochester, NY
“Bad News”
Reviewed July 16, 2011

I live in Webster and my husband and I have been to Peaches a few times given that they have a pretty good menu and the food was fairly consistent. We have decided over time, however, that this is not a place that we would like to visit any longer due to the completely creepy owner. The guy insists on this irritating and phony process of shaking your hand (with the cheesy two handed grip) and welcoming you as 'folks'. I'm not a folksy kind of a person, I'm there for lunch and not to flatter his ego so that he can feel like he's really important for owning a cafe. There's a woman that I can only assume is his trophy wife that stands in front to oversee things and we have consistently gotten the sense that this guy is some kind of raging egomaniac (for reasons unknown) that has the need to feel important and uses the restaurant to showcase himself. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for an entrepreneur and I think they actually have good food. But there's something in the way that this guy handles things that I deeply dislike and being in that place makes me feel extremely uncomfortable. My husband had the same take. I've read a series of local reviews on RocWiki that talk about others having the same feeling and apparently he's pretty awful to his staff in the background.

In the past few months we have noticed that the owner has printed giant sticker ads for Peaches and has plastered them all over electrical boxes, phone poles, and other public areas throughout Webster. That just cemented our opinion of him. If you are going to advertise your business pay for it, don't illegally stick ads all over public equipment for someone to have to pick up later. Completely slimy move on the owner's part and it's not something that I'd like to support.

• Visited September 2010
9 Thank Mara N
Rochester NY
“Excellent Choice for a Weekday's Late Lunch”
Reviewed June 24, 2011

My lunch companion and I stumbled onto Peaches. We'd never heard of it, much less anything about it. Errands in the same shopping plaza lasted far longer than we expected and we were hungry, and was that a restaurant over there?

Parking was easy, very near the door in case the promised rain arrived while we were inside. (It didn't.) We were greeted immediately, passing a place where we might have left our coats in winter on the way to a table.

The condition of the interior was notably fresh. The paint, live plants, wooden tables, vinyl seats, and upholstered booths were all in like-new condition, rare in a restaurant.

Most of the patrons were older adults, and we feared the menu might reflect their tastes.
Wrong. Peaches has a nice assortment of appetizers, soups, salads, paninis, grilled sandwiches, and wraps, plus a dessert menu I may yet get to sample if I weren't so pleasantly full.

The service was swift and smiling, although this sixty-year-old didn't really care to be called half of "you girls" by one server. On our first visit, we started with soup, which was excellent but more filling that was wise, so we skipped it the second time. My companion had two different paninis in our two visits, both excellent. I tried a wrap, then a grilled sandwich. All were nicely presented, with kale(?) and a twisted orange slice as a garnish.

The piece de resistance was that each panini, sandwich, or wrap comes with the choice of french fries, sweet potato fries, or home-made chips to die for. These are nothing like a potato chip from a bag. Deep golden brown and seriously wonderful, Peaches' chips are light and crunchy, dusted with just enough salt, not a bit greasy, and terrific. The generous portions sealed the deal. We'll be back.

I did read reviews at other sites faulting the owner (no doubt the man who seated us), his policies, the staff, and the food itself, but our experiences, both in the early afternoon on a weekday, were so unlike those I was surprised at the rancor.

• Visited June 2011