“A good hotel for low-maintenance folks”

Super 8 Webster/Rochester
Ranked #4 of 4 Hotels in Webster
Ottawa, Canada
“A good hotel for low-maintenance folks”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

When we were deciding on where to stay when visiting Rochester for a few days, we wanted something affordable but in a quiet spot. We chose the Webster Super 8 based on price, location, and reviews on TripAdvisor.

There were a few things that could be worked on: the towel rack was not properly secured to the wall, when I went to place a towel on it, it almost ripped off in my hands; the TV needed an update; when there was a large group of people trying to get (continental) breakfast, a breaker or fuse was flipped, and it was not fixed for a half hour – this included no access to the microwave or toaster, and loss of wireless internet; on week days, housekeeping showed up way too early, and if you weren’t ready at that time, they didn’t come back.

However, overall, my experience was positive. The room was extremely clean, and the floor was brand new wood laminate. Continental breakfast included (Eggo) waffles, cinnamon rolls, apples, yogurt, cereal, and coffee, juice, and milk. And while there was no spot to really sit down and eat the meals in the lobby, a tray was provided in room, so that you could go for your breakfast and eat in privacy comfortably. It was a quiet hotel, with polite staff, away from the noise of the city.

As someone who prefers her privacy, I also did not mind that housekeeping did not come back after their first attempt to clean the room. The room was in very good condition when we arrived at the hotel, and we did not make much of a mess while we stayed. Housekeeping cleaned it on Saturday, and when we came back the room was in the same condition we had found it the first day.

While the hotel’s décor was outdated, I could tell they were working on renovations, as one of the rooms was not available for occupancy, and the door was left open the first day. You could see they were renovating, but it in no way interfered with my vacation. We stayed at the Super 8 as a place to sleep and rest, not a place to spend the majority of our time. It was quiet, and that was exactly what I was looking for.

There was a sign on the door welcoming pets. This is a dog friendly hotel.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Pataskala, Ohio
Reviewed July 30, 2014

Taking a break from the camping scene for a couple days, a friend and I checked into this hotel. It was booked online to save time. The room itself was spacious and clean. The beds were comfortable, and the staff were accommodating enough. What was a little strange was a group of people (guests or staff members, not sure which) were having a cookout on a hibachi just outside the entrance to the hotel. A couple of shady-looking characters were sitting in the chairs around the hibachi, watching everyone enter the hotel. I found this to be a little weird. I definitely watched my wallet when walking past them, though nothing happened. Another friend met us at Seabreeze amusement park nearby and booked a room here so he could visit with us awhile. The door to his room would not shut up completely on its own. Overall, not bad. This hotel does NOT accept cash anymore. So keep that in mind if you wish to stay here.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Rochester, New York
Reviewed July 27, 2014

We have stayed at Super 8's before and never been disappointed before NOW. Grossly in need of repairs and updates but that's not all. Shortly after check in I called the front desk to have the room vacuumed. It looks like it hadn't been done in months down to the huge dead black spider against the wall. He did come in and vacuum and took several pictures of how bad it was. I don't think this is a one time incident because we heard many others comment how filthy the room was after check in and they will never be back. The metal drain pipe under the sink was cracked and you could tell instead of replacing a $5 part that actually had applied some kind of adhesive to it instead. The TV looked like someone puked down the side of it. I could go on and one > Stay away from this one

Room Tip: There probably isn't any clean ones
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank Richard F

Travelers are raving about these Webster hotels

Amenia, New York
Reviewed July 14, 2014

This was my 1st & last time at a Super 8. I called the hotel in Webster NY, the day before my 2 night stay and asked if I could check in earlier than the posted time of 2:00. I received a "no problem" answer. We arrived close to 1:30 and was told a room would not be available until the check in time of 3 (it said 2:00 on the website). She told me this as she was checking a family who walked in off the street, did not have a reservation and was given a room. I also asked if I could change my room from smoking to non smoking (this was my error) I was told that they could definitely accommodate my 10 year old and myself. She took my phone number and said she would call me as soon as the room became available but it should definitely be before 3:00. After wasting over an hour riding around in the car, we went back at 3:00 still not hearing from the hotel. As soon as we walked in the woman said oh your room is ready and we checked you in (guess she misplaced my number). So we schleped our bag up the stairs due to the fact that there is no elevator and enter our smoking room. The window was wide open (guess that's how they passed this off as a non smoking room) and there were no sheets on the bed and a big hole in the mattress cover. So back downstairs we went to tell them about lack of sheets and she says oops and giggles. The room was old, stunk like smoke, the carpet was nasty and not very clean. The people did not seem to care.

The last morning we were there, my daughter was hungry and we decided to go down and check out the complimentary breakfast. We were told it ended at 10:00 and got there at 9:30. My daughter poured some cereal into a bowl and tried to pour milk but alas, it was empty. We asked the kid behind the counter for more milk and was told there was no more. The family with the 3 children who came down behind us were told the same thing. The kid behind the counter then disappeared and I found him hiding in the stairwell talking on the cell phone. There were also no more "pastries" or anything for adults to eat. The 24/7 coffee that was advertised was empty as well. When we went to check out, I got an annoying look from the kid behind the counter as he had to put down his laptop and pause a game that he was playing.

Needless to say, this stay was not pleasant and you have lost a customer and I'm sure the family behind us as well.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
3 Thank Anne P
Aiken, South Carolina
Reviewed July 9, 2014

Stained bedspread I didn't even want to touch. No extra pillows were available. Breakfast a joke - we ate out every morning.
Guests were allowed to tailgate, smoke, drink and party in the parking lot until after midnight, using chairs from the lobby.
Staff spent more time outside smoking than at the front desk.
Last 2 nights of stay had the Little League from Puerto Rico staying there running up and down the halls and knocking on doors until after 11 PM. I talked to the front desk and the guy just shrugged. If we hadn't prepaid for the visit, we would have left after the first night.
We spend 3-4 weeks in Webster every year but never, never again at the Super 8,

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
Portland
Reviewed June 25, 2014 via mobile

Beware; you can hear EVERY THING happening in neighboring rooms. I was woken up more than once during the night and early morning.

The rooms are extremely worn. Holes in curtains, awful bedding, towels are thin, small, and worn. Bathroom wallpaper showed signs of mold at the seams. There was what looked like orange rust on the toilet base & floor. The rest of the bathroom floor was sticky.

There were two front desk employees providing excellent customer service in a very difficult environment.

Even at $55/per night it was not worth it. This place was shockingly bad.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Heather J
Also consider these accommodations in or near Webster
Hampton Inn Rochester Webster
Fairfield Inn by Marriott Rochester East
Holiday Inn Express Hotel & Suites Webster
Hampton Inn Rochester-Irondequoit
Holiday Inn Express Irondequoit
Radiance Inn And Suites
Radiance Inn And Suites
#27 of 29 in Rochester

Been to Super 8 Webster/Rochester? Share your experiences!