“Old and shabby”
Review of Hotel Ole Caribe

Hotel Ole Caribe
Ranked #2 of 2 Hotels in Maiquetia
Reviewed July 24, 2012

We only stayed overnight to catch another flight. The room was clean,but smelled of cleaner which I guess is a good thing. We had a very light dinner with one glass of awful wine and a local beer and it cost over £75. A breakfast buffet was included,but we had to leave at 4 am and missed that. Would not stay for any other reason than overnight to catch another plane.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Olicia

Reviewed July 3, 2012

We stayed only one night at this hotel. For these, the hotel is well. For those who stay longer, better take another hotel. The hotel is very old, the rooms smell of damp and mold. The hotel area is nice and big enough. There is a large swimming pool and pool for children. Breakfast in the room price is not included, which is not very convenient. Prices at the restaurant are high and does not match the quality of food.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed July 9, 2011

On my latest trip, there was a problem with the plane and I was presented with the choice of taking a cab home and coming back 12 hrs later to the airport or taking a room at Hotel Ole Caribe.

The hotel is ok for crew members or if you have an early morning flight (check if they offer a shuttle to the airport of you have to order a taxi beforehand)

The hotel has a great pool area, the staff is very friendly although it is really weird to have the staff standing in the middle of the pool area waiting for you to move and check if you want or need something.

My room was really humid, they should invest in dehumidifier. The tv channel selection was standard. The bed was OK.

According to their price table, it costs about 180USD a night. Trust me, this a 50USD hotel but this exorbitant price is due to the crazy exchange control system ruling this country.

A piece of advise for the manager of this hotel, please don't use this public restroom cleaner in the hotel, the hallways smelled like a recently cleaned public restroom. Use neutral smell cleaning products.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled solo
Reviewed June 13, 2011

So I went because my husband had some business but I was going just to hang out. This place is really nice and the food is good. I always got an ocean view room, they tried to stick me in a mountain view room but the AC was loud and clangy so we switched - no harassment at all. This hotel is a 5 star hotel but BE WARNED, 5 star in the US is not the same as 5 star OUTSIDE of the US. Its great don't get me wrong but the water pressure is weird, the water runs hot and then cold and then hot, and there is always a musty smell. Think of it like a Holiday Inn with GREAT amenities and a view to die for...

Room Tip: I always got an ocean view room
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed September 12, 2009

My wife and I stayed at the Ole Caribe in October at the start of and halfway through a tour of Venezuela. We foiund that our view of the hotel changed depending on what stage of our tour we were at. Our initial view was one of abject disappointment. This is a low end 3 star hotel at best. The rooms were gloomy and extremely average. The restaurant was somewhere between poor and average and we were glad that we were only staying one night. The only thing it seemed to have going for it was its relative proximity to the airport.

When we came back having stayed at converted monastery in the Andes and a ranch in the Llanos, the Ole Caribe seemed like utter luxery. It isn't, but it is clean, safe, relatively modern and, as I've said, conveniently placed. Even the poor restaurant food seemed good.

The Ole Caribe really is nothing special - it'll do as a place to lay your head for a night, but not somewhere to say if you're looking for something remotely special.

There are a couple of things which you may find helpful knowing if you are travelling around Venezuela. Firstly, with internal flights having very low luggage allowances, we were able to leave half of our luggage at the Ole Caribe, swap when we stopped back midway through our tour and then collect the luggage we left midway through at the end of our tour. Secondly, at the end or our tour we stayed in Los Roques. The flight from Los Roques back to Caracas was in the early morning and our flight back home was in the evening. If you are in a similar position and have nothing planned for the day before you fly out you can pay for a day room at the Ole Caribe and relax around the pool.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 7, 2009

Ole Caribe is the closest hotel declaring 5 stars to Maiquetia International Airport in Caracas. I did stay in this hotel several times during last 4 years. It is used by airlines crew. On my opinion it is not because of quality, but because it is close. Overall, it is expensive and far from 5 stars quality they declare, using European standards. On Latin America level I would rate it 4 stars, so, so. Rooms are small and one can feel years of use everywhere. Walls between rooms are rather thin and I did experienced quarrel between partners until 3 morning or sexual entertainment long into the night. Breakfast is not included in already high cost for stay (240 USD/night). Nice swimming pool.

Anyway it is a good option for one night stay close to the airport, but do not expect anything close to 5 stars.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled on business
1  Thank forman
Reviewed January 1, 2008

My husband and I stayed at the Ole Caribe hotel mainly because we needed a place to stay before and after our week on Margarita Island (we stayed two separate days there).

Booking the reservations was a bit of a pain as we had some difficulties with the correspondence via email. My emails were usually answered, but it would take days or in some cases weeks for them to reply to me. I ended up having an acquaintance we know who speaks Spanish to call them to confirm our reservations. To make and "confirm" our reservations, we had to fax a copy of our picture ID as well as our credit card to the hotel (international phone number that was NOT toll free). I was not comfortable in doing this, but the Ole Caribe didn't offer any other choice. Thankfully, we haven't had any problems with unapproved charges to our credit card 1 1/2 months later.

We prearranged with the hotel on taxi transportation to and from the airport. We had confirmed this with a phone call made by our Spanish speaking acquaintance about 2 weeks prior to our departure. Unfortunately, when we arrived at the International Airport of Venezuela, there was no taxi waiting for us. We were told someone would be holding a sign with our name on it, but we found none with our name. We waited about 30 minutes after picking up our luggage (thankfully we had no lost luggage to and from Venezuela) and decided we'd better call to see if they forgot about us. We used a phone from one of the tourist booths. They were kind to us by allowing us to use the phone free twice. The first time we called the hotel, we were assured in English that there was a taxi on its way to get us. We waited another 30 minutes, and still nothing. We called the 2nd time and we're given the same story. This time he said they'd be there to pick us up in about 15-20 minutes. We waited another 45 minutes or so. Still nothing.... We decided to just take an available taxi at the airport. The driver didn't speak much English, but he offered us a ride for $20 USD. I offered $15 and he accepted. We didn't have any bolivars yet. We didn't exchange in the airport even though two different men offered us 5,000 bolivars for one USD. We didn't feel safe in doing so especially since we were "in" the airport. There were too many "officials" in uniform there, and trading on the black market is illegal. It took us about 20 minutes to drive to the Hotel Ole Caribe.

We finally arrived at the Hotel Ole Caribe about 3 1/2 hours after we had landed at the international airport. The grounds were very well kept and the surrounding areas of the hotel property felt very safe. There was even an ATM provided on the hotel property although we never used it. There was beautiful greenery and flowers (see the photos I’ve posted of the hotel). Because it was about 10 a.m. when we arrived, the room wasn't ready (normal check-in was 4 p.m.). We ate some lunch (I had pizza and my husband had fettuccine alfredo) at restaurant next to the pool. The food was okay. Afterward lunch, we swam in the nice sized pool, laid on the chaise lounges & and took a nap until our room was ready. We had flown over on a red-eye flight from Houston, TX so the nap was very much needed.

The room was averaged size, but seemed clean. There was a sink area separate from the bath/shower area. Unfortunately, I don’t think they offer anything larger than a full-size bed. With my husband at 6’6 it wasn’t the most comfortable. Also, it was the hardest bed we’ve ever slept on. We found it very uncomfortable. The TV didn’t have the best picture quality. We were not provided wash cloths and we only were given two bath towels. I thought this to be a bit skimpy, but I guess we didn’t need more as we only stayed one day before and one day after our week on Margarita Island.

The hotel staff we felt were for the most part not very friendly towards us. Few spoke English, and unfortunately my husband and I speak little Spanish. We were able to get by, but we felt ignored at the hotel restaurant where we ate our meals. They didn’t offer us a menu for quite some time. Ordering food and drinks took a while as well as receiving the food. You pretty much have to ask for your bill when you’re ready to leave. We’ve noticed in Venezuela that rarely will they give you your bill unless you ask for it. I guess they figure you might want to eat more? We also noticed cold reception from employees in the pool area. I’m not sure their lack of conversation with us was because we were American or if they knew we didn’t speak much Spanish and they didn’t speak English. Most of the hotel employees were not cheerful even to other hotel guests. Maybe it’s perhaps their not happy with their jobs or President Chavez? We’re not sure why, but that’s our observation of the staff.

Thankfully, internet and computers (4) were provided for free. One computer I noticed had headphones and a lady was talking in Spanish when she was on the computer. I’m not very computer/internet savvy, but I thought that was interesting. The connection speed isn’t the fastest, but I was happy I could check my emails and send messages to family and friends that all was well with us.

Check-out was quick and painless. There was a hotel taxi/shuttle that took us to the airport for $28 US. We wish we had some bolivars for the taxi ride back to the airport, but we ended up paying the steep price in USDs. The 2nd stay we had at the Ole Caribe after our week on Margarita Island was much more economical as we had bolivars that time. We traded for a good price in a convenience/t-shirt store. Paying in bolivars proves to be a better deal in most circumstances.

I hope I’ve covered any questions or concern about the Ole Caribe. Please feel free to PM me if you have any inquiries about the hotel. Hopefully it'll make your trip to Venezuela more enjoyable. Happy traveling….

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank bfromhold
Also consider these accommodations in or near Maiquetia
Costa Real Suites
La Candelaria
Hotel Alex
Hotel Alex
#16 of 86 in Caracas

Been to Hotel Ole Caribe? Share your experiences!