Posada Amazonas
Wasai Tambopata Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)
$588
Hotels.com
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
Hotel Puerto Amazonico(Puerto Maldonado)
$53
Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
$55
Hotel Centenario(Puerto Maldonado)
$57
  • Bar/Lounge
La Torre Inn(Puerto Maldonado)
$38
D"Milez Hotel(Puerto Maldonado)(Great Value!)
$48
Ecoamazonia Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Pool
  • Restaurant
All reviewslocal communitythe riveropen wallfood was greathowler monkeyspiranha fishingwonderful experienceno electricitypuerto maldonadomosquito netjungle experiencenight hikemedicinal plantsfew hoursclose to natureopen airgiant otters
FilterAll languages
Reviewed October 22, 2010

Anyone travelling to a lodge deep in the Amazon should expect certain limitations but as long as you don't set your sights too high this is a unique experience and one not to be missed.

Our lodge was clean and surprisingly well-appointed and, despite being set in the jungle, was almost completely 'bug-free' - no spiders and just a couple of small bugs in the bathroom when we got up in the middle of the night. This may seem a minor point but I'm sure there are travellers who would be a little concerned about this aspect so they can be reassured that it is not a problem.
The rooms are lit by kerosene lamps which do not give off a lot of light and this is perhaps one area where improvement could be made. However, as there are very early starts in the mornings most travellers were in bed early anyway. The noise from the jungle at night, particularly from the howler monkeys, is an incredible experience and i loved it although, of course, it may not be to everyone's liking.

Meals were of quite good quality with a reasonable selection and we had no complaints.

Most travellers visiting this area do so to view the wildlife and, of course, being wild creatures nothing is guaranteed. You could see an abundance or very little, but the guides do try their best to make it an unforgettable experience for you. The boat trip on Tres Chimbodas Lake in particular is relaxing, very pleasant and most enjoyable with a good chance of seeing at least a selection of animals and birds, plus a try at fishing for piranhas which are plentiful but not so easy to catch !

Visiting Posada Amazonas is not a cheap option and if you have little interest in wildlife then it is probably not worth the effort or price. That said, for the wildlife enthusiast this is an experience that really should not be missed and you would be hard-pressed to find a better location or more comfortable accommodation in a jungle setting. Recommended.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Tillard
Reviewed October 10, 2010

When I first arrived and went on a hike through the jungle, I thought that a 3-night stay would be too long. But it was just right! You need 3 dawns to see the really good stuff. I took my cool showers before dinner, and it was nice to clean off and cool off and put on clean, almost dry clothes. My husband took his showers right before bed and they were a little uncomfortable. I can't understand those who complained of cold showers before dawn: why wouldn't you want to wash off the insect repellant and mud before bed? So I didn't mind not having hot water.

Be sure to take nylon safari clothes, such as Royal Robbins. They are very comfortable to put on wet in the early morning and will dry some as you wear them. They are comfortable in the rain, too. Do not take cotton clothes if you can avoid it, as they will not dry at all while you are there. I wore my cotton clothes after my shower for dinner. There isn't much to do after dinner, and you have to get up at 4:00, so it was early to bed.

Our guide, Silverio, was wonderful. He is an enthusiastic bird watcher and taught us a lot. My husband and I and my sister and her husband had him all to ourselves. He woke us up before dawn, joined us for all our meals, and led us on our excursions. He loves travelers who want to learn. His English is almost as good as a native speaker.

I grew weary of the poor lighting in the rooms before bed, but other than that I did not mind not having electricity. There is a place in the dining room/bar to charge your camera, computer, etc. Our guide let me use his computer one afternoon so that I could get on the internet and check e-mail. It was very hot and humid, but we did okay. I felt a little self-righteous going without the little comforts.

This is no place for honeymoons! It is too hot to even sleep in the same bed (our room had a twin and a double bed.) There is no privacy at all. You can hear through the walls, especially in the bathroom.

I loved the open-air room. It was fun sleeping under the mosquito net. I took my book, book light, and watch inside the netting so I wouldn't have to find anything outside the netting in the extreme darkness. Be sure to bring a headlamp.

The hikes to and from the boats, carrying your hand luggage, are difficult, slippery, and there are no handrails. This is not a great place to visit if you are not fairly physically fit. You really wouldn't want to get hurt or sick in this remote area, at least 1.5 hours from the nearest town.

The food was fine. The bar was fun. This is not a luxury resort. But it's a wonderful, unforgettable experience and I'm so glad that I went.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
2  Thank imissneworleans
Reviewed October 9, 2010

We were travelling in a tour designed for small grps & were combined to make a bigger grp here. This would have been ok, certainly would have preferred not to, but that's how they do it here. Any sightings are best with few people and in fact our best experiences were when we were able to separate ourselves - & this was difficult as its a big place with a very set routine of activities to keep guests busy.
We didn't really see much for what we were hoping to see for a visit to the Amazon Jungle - it was really only temperate forest. We saw no macaws - would have been much better to go to the viewing hut very early in the morning. We saw a couple of monkeys. On the lake tour we saw otters in the distance - but you really needed your own set of binoculars to see & therefore appreciate.
The hotel itself was quaint and unique with 3 walls, no electricity, oil lamps, NO hot water, mosquito nets etc - you just hope you dont get put next to noisy neighbours & beware that although your first morning is early (4am) - the next morning when you think you can sleep in to 6am - think again as the next tour grp is off for their otter spotting 4am start & you can hear EVERYTHING. Then the housekeeping comes in and cleans as soon as that group has left!!!
This is a very manufactured & minimal jungle experience.

• Stayed: August 2010
Reviewed September 18, 2010

What an amazing place to stay. Rooms were great. Only 3 walls, one open to the jungle. Beds were comfy and the hammocks even more so. Flushing toilet and a nice cold shower.
Staff were great and helpful and the guides were excellant.
Food was good quality with fresh food and even a bar for drinks.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 15, 2010

Our stay at Posada Amazonas was fabulous. The rooms were beautiful- one wall open to the jungle. At night the rooms and walkways were lit by kerosene lanterns and the jungle sounds enveloped us as we slept. The food was really great- amazing, in fact, considering how remote we were.
Our guide Frank Pichardo was knowledgeable and very helpful. One of the highlights was the optional rope climb to the top of a 100 ft. tree with a platform at the top. This activity was led by an adventure guide, Jorge. Everyone in our group made it to the top through sheer strength and willpower. I alone was unable to climb the rope. Unwilling to let me fail, Jorge and Frank literally pulled me to the top. Amazing! The view from the top of the tree was breathtaking and, honestly, this is the part of my Amazon trip I will remember the most. It's these special unasked for and unexpected things which make a good guide a great guide.
Thanks Jorge and Frank ! And thanks to Nomo who grabbed me at the top and pulled me the last few feet. You guys are amazing!

• Stayed: September 2010