“Just a Spectacular Rainforest Experience!!”
Review of Posada Amazonas

Posada Amazonas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 6, 2013

My mom, kids and I spent 4 days and 3 nights at Posada Amazonas as part of our Road Scholar family adventure tour. Our guides (Luis, Oscar and Lisbeth - thank you!!) were amazing and the kids are still talking about the wildlife encounters. How many kids got to go fishing for piranha this summer? Truly a wonderful wildlife experience for all!! There's nothing you'll ever experience as cool as waking to the sound of red howler monkeys - just mystical! I so miss that! The food was great! Even my very picky son had no problems finding foods to eat. Lots of adventures for all levels of activity - there are a lot of stairs to and from the river, but my 75 yr old mother had no trouble and the guides made sure to assist those that needed it. The kids and I did the kayaking excursion which was great and though we're not experienced, we had no trouble! Before arriving, I was worried about sleeping and insects, but we were prepared and didn't even get one mosquito bite between us. We treated our clothing/gear with Permethrin before arriving and used a little Deet lotion on the hikes. Never even saw a mosquito in the lodge! (they were frequent on the walks however but didn't bother us with the repellant). We came during the dry season - the day temps averaged in the mid-80s and cooled down to the 70's overnight so sleeping was very comfortable. Showers were cold but refreshing. The power generator was on enough to keep phones and cameras charged and the Lodge has some Wifi service so I was able to get a note out to my husband. It was an experience of a lifetime for us! But we're looking forward to a return trip! Thank you Posada Amazonas!!

Room Tip: Rooms closer to the hot water heater had warm showers, but the cold showers were refreshing.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Reviewed September 5, 2013

The room service was good, the guides were awesome, and the wildlife was amazing. The food was pretty good, too. The bathroom had a bit of a bad smell to it, though. Out of our whole trip to Peru, including Lima, Cusco, the Sacred Valley, and Machu Picchu, this was the best. It was wonderful to experience the plants and animals of the Amazon Rainforest. I highly recommend going here; I would've stayed there forever if I could afford it. But remember to BRING BUG REPELLANT. Bugs were pretty bad, and we went during the dry season. You will be guaranteed misery if you go without it.

Room Tip: Rooms at the end are more expensive, but you actually get to have electricity (for part of the day).
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
RainforestExp, Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thanks for your review. We are glad you liked to stay with us and we recommend you to also try our new superior rooms at your next visit. Yes, bug repellent is a must but you can also get it in the boutique of the lodge or in our office in Puerto Maldonado.

Reviewed September 4, 2013

We stayed here as part of a Contiki tour through Peru. Compared to the other accommodations on our trip, this one was by far the best. It is highly romantic, adventurous, and authentic. One couple on our tour actually got engaged here! The sound of howler monkeys coming from the jungle in the morning was mystical. What a great place to relax, explore the jungle, and take on new adventures! The food was great, and the bar serves up some great tropical drinks after an exciting day. The guides were very good! They were great at locating wildlife and helping to add excitement to our visit. I wish we would've stayed here another night, because the hotels in the nearby town of Puerto Moldodando were less than adequate. Stay here instead if you can!

Room Tip: It can get a bit chilly at night, so pack extra clothes just in case.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 1, 2013

My wife and I were there for 2 nights at the end of a General Tours trip that included Lima, Cusco and Machu Picchu.
Our guides were enthusiastic about helping us to see the wildlife. My wife and I enjoyed all the hikes and river trips we took. The rooms were unique and enjoyable. We unfortunately were there when a cold front came in but, in some ways, it was nice (sleeping without sweating).
We truly enjoyed our time there but there were some service quirks that caused us to give a less than excellent rating.
The food is adequate to good but it is not in abundance i.e. get in line quickly when it is served or you will only have available what others didn't want.
On our last day, our plane was departing Puerto Maldonado at 3:50 PM but staff insisted that we leave the lodge at 9:00 AM which resulted in us arriving at the airport at a little before 11:00 AM, 5 hours of waiting at the less than exciting Puerto Maldonado airport. Some of our small group protested the leaving time and we were told that we would have a tour of Puerto Maldonado; that didn't happen. Another service quirk was that I left my binoculars on the van that took us to the boat to the lodge. I told 3 or 4 staff about this and asked if they could be sent on the next boat that was going to the lodge. That also didn't happen, despite there being some boats that arrived after we arrived. I did get my binoculars on our way to the airport.
Maybe service quirks such as these are just what happens when you get off the beaten track but the previous portion of our tour had spoiled us with exemplary service and our expectations were high.
Overall, however, Posada Amazonas was a worthy experience.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your valuable review, this helps us to notice some of our mistakes and make the quality of our service even better. We will schedule the boat departures better in the future to harmonize it with the flights of our guests, or if it is not possible for some logistic reason we will arrange a real sightseeing in Puerto Maldonado city. Sorry for the slow reaction of finding your binoculars, we aim to get better at this end as well.

Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

The lodge, the rooms are clean and well kept, an extra blanket would be of great use as the nights are very cold!! I did not receive one despite requesting it!
All meals are buffet style but there are inadequate amounts of food, if you don't run and get at the front of the queue, you miss out, stocks not replenished!!!

Guides and excursions are good!

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 23, 2013

We loved Posada. My favorite was the bedrooms and the open air seating areas for guests to enjoy the constant activity of the surrounding jungle. The food was amazing. I went back twice for steak pasta. The guides assigned to families were very patient and helpful. Make Posada part of your Amazon adventure.

Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed August 15, 2013

It was really a great experience.

The food was very very tasty the staff is very friendly. Our guide, Robin,our guide taught us lot about the nature/surroundings and spoke very well English. We were placed in a very nice group.

At first it seems very strange to have NO electricity have in the room. But a few days without internet and a lot of luxury can be relaxing.
We didn't liked that the room was open cause at night we had a monkey visitor. And he did his need on our bedside table. The nights that followed I didn't slept very well.

I can highly recommend this place to nature lovers!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Sarah D
RainforestExp, Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Sarah, Thank you for your review. We are glad you liked our lodge and your guide. Certainly the concept of the lodges of Rainforest Expedition is to be as near to the rainforest as possible, we are sorry for your night visitor  These animals never harm people. The mosquito net is a good defense against the insect and other animals at night but these visits are not really common.
We would also like to recommend you for the next time our superior rooms with electricity and internet in the room.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tambopata National Reserve
#2 of 2 in Tambopata National Reserve
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica
#3 of 62 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Posada Amazonas? Share your experiences!