“Approach with an Open Mind”
Review of Posada Amazonas

Posada Amazonas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed April 11, 2013

Hi, solo female traveler here.

The information provided by the lodge prior to my trip was comprehensive: I felt as though I had all the information I needed to pack appropriately and my expectations were set so that I was not surprised upon arrival.

Collection at the airport, transportation to the office, handling of bags and other logistics were managed professionally. I knew in advance (from the website and welcome email) that I would be leaving some of my luggage behind, that electricity was limited, etc.

The bus ride to the boat was approximately 45 minutes. The bus is hot and slightly dusty, but I hadn't expected otherwise. One of the guides narrated part of the trip.

A 45-minute boat ride to the lodge followed. It was uneventful, but a little iffy at times. A brief lecture on how to conduct one's self on a boat would have been beneficial to our group as we had one or two people who were falrly stupid about it.

We received a brief, necessary orientation upon arrival and then were escorted to our rooms. Traveling solo I was a little dismayed by the fact that we had only a curtain and no door, but I adjusted: people are not traveling this far into the wild to commit crimes. There is a safe for storing valuables. I was very glad that I brought plastic bags into which I stored my luggage, as all sorts of insects and animals have access to the rooms.

Good mosquito netting protects you from most insects at night.

Having no barrier to the wilderness (one non-existant wall) was daunting, but actually wonderful. I enjoyed observing the fireflies and heat lightning from my bed and the sounds of the insects lulled me to sleep. With very limited lighting it's imperative that you bring a flashlight.

The rooms are sparse, with an open "wall" to the wilderness and thin, thin walls behind units (not only sounds but smells travel from one to the other). The ceiling is open. This was the greatest downside to my stay: the condidtions are almost camplike when it comes to sound. If you're not in the 4:00 a.m. tour group then you will be awakened by the 4:00 a.m. tour group stomping past your digs.

My guide, and the guides I observed, where knowledgeable, friendly and accommodating.

The food wasn't amazing, but it was sufficient. You don't go to these places for the food. The bar had cold beers and pisco sours, though, and that's what counts.

The common areas were pretty charming. There were hammocks and lounges in the open "lobby" and the bar offered lounge and high-top seeting. The space was conducive to relaxing.

The agenda is fairly filled with activities, but no one is forcing you to participate. I skipped a few of them and my guide did not give me a hard time about it. I enjoyed the hikes in which I did participate, including the canopy tower trip and the night hike.

Esme Travels
aka M.A.
Posada Amazonas is not perfect, but the staff has the right attitude and the intention of delivering a first-rate experience is evident. I was very happy to have spent two days and nights here. It will be a little outside most traveler's comfort zones, but those experiences will be the ones you always look back upon fondly.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank Esme_Travels

Reviewed April 9, 2013

I've just returned from an awesome 3 week tour of Peru, with the visit to the Amazon as the finale and one which I was a little nervous about. However within minutes of our arrival, the nerves vanished as it was pretty obvious how professional the whole set-up is and, how experienced and helpful all the guides are. Our guide Robin, was fantastic (Hola Robin!) - he was very knowledgeable, always happy to answer questions and managed our group of 9 very well, as he was always checking everyone had spotted various animals and even helping us take decent photos aswell! He was always smiling and laughing which helped create a relaxed atmosphere and whilst we had a busy schedule of 4 trips in one day, they were all voluntary so others could take time out if they wanted. I had such a great time I wanted to make the most of the limited time I had and thoroughly enjoyed all of them, from spotting monkeys, otters and piranha fishing to watching beautiful macaws and, even the night-time trail to look for caiman and bugs which I thought I'd never do, but the sights and sounds of the rainforest are so intriguing, it was all a very exciting adventure!
Muchas Gracias also to Lisbeth, another guide who helped me retrieve my rucksack after I'd left it on the bus which dropped us off at the airport. It was my own fault (still mesmerised and taking in all the surrouding beauty), I focused on my suitcase and forgot all about it but she sorted it out straightaway and the bus was back within 5 mins so very impressive!
The eco-lodges were also very impressive and not as primitive as I thought they may be. Yes, there is no electricity so it is fairly basic but the Manager gave a very informative welcome speech telling us how best to deal with all of this and, all the staff were always keen to help including Elsa, who is a great barwoman!
A few people mentioned the lack of a Wifi signal to which I reminded them politely that we are in the Amazon! This resort has great facilities ie open dining area with delicious food and complimentary tea/coffee/chocolate, Wellington boots if you don't want to use your own, a shop with lovely handicrafts made by the locals, (I bought lots of gifts as 60% of the proceeds go back to the locals), a spa etc, but I do wish travellers keep a perspective as to where they're actually staying. I know we take internet service for granted these days, I indeed am a workaholic and had my blackberry with me as I've been in Peru for 3 weeks and, was looking forward to switching the outside world off for 3 days. So imagine my horror when I switched the blackberry on out of curiosity and received new emails! Needless to say, I switched it off immediately!!! So there is a signal albeit a faint one and as the Manager points out, they need it for the functioning of the resort so play fair, let them use it and relax by taking in the wild, exotic surroundings created by Mother Earth instead.
Indeed the trip was over way too soon, my friend only wanted to stay for 2 nights but I could have easily stayed longer especially as I hardly encountered any bugs! I strongly recommend this resort - you will have a truly AMAZING time and will be well looked after. I certainly hope to come back one day!!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank BalEngland
DKrautmann, Guest Relations Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded April 11, 2013

Hi BalEngland,

Thank you so much for writing such a great trip report from your visit to Posada Amazonas. We will make sure to pass your messages on to Robin, Lisbeth, Elsa and the rest of the staff at the lodge.

We hope to see you again someday,

Thanks again and safe travels,
Rainforest Expeditions

Reviewed April 4, 2013

I am not the outdoorsy type and did this portion of the vacation to get outside my "comfort zone".

The lodge is rustic, but quaint. Everything is outdoors here so plan for it.

FYI: One can of bug spray lasted two of us for three days with 5 or 6 applications per day. Think it is too much? Add in the sweat factor. I did not spray myself before bed either. The mosquito netting worked really well so I didn't have to sleep with bug spray on.

The staff was great. "Hi" to our guide Silverio. He was fantastic. I don't think I could stay there again and have a different guide. Silverio was just so knowledgeable and his English was great.

Check-in is easy as they know what room you are getting before you leave the "office" in Puerto Maldonado. Most of your luggage is left there (in storage) and you can get a duffle bag from them if you don't have a small bag for your personal items going with you to the lodge.

Note: Use the facilities here before getting on the bus as there is not a place to stop until you get to the lodge about 2 hours later. It involves a bus ride, boat ride, and 10-15 minute hike in the jungle to get there.

Rooms are very basic. There are no room keys as there are no doors. The rooms do have small electronic safes. There are kerosene lamps that are lit just before you get up until daylight and again around sunset until 9 pm. Power is on from 11 am - 1 pm and again from 5 pm - 9 pm. Other than that you have two candles in your room. We became very good at showering by candlelight.

Food was great, but repetative, and no one in our group had any stomach problems. Hopefully you like chicken and rice as they have several different ways to prepare it. Try the hot chocolate at breakfast as it is to die for. Watch for animals while eating. We saw several in our open-air dining room.

Tips:
Be prepared...tours here start very early. We weren't expecting a 4 am wakeup "knock" until we were told our schedule. You do get to see more animals this way.

Sort through bags and clothes during the day in your downtime to avoid having to do it at night in the dark. Much faster this way.

They have tons of Wellington boots for hiking which you may need. We were there in rainy season and did need them. Wish I hadn't of brought my hiking boots along. Just more weight.

If you use the "Wellies" have long socks as people with shorts on had issues with them rubbing into their ankles and back/sides of their legs. You can also flip over the end to help avoid the rubbing issue. It doesn't work on the ankles though.

Hiking trails involve wood stairs and uneven muddy, rocky walking paths. These can be difficult if you are not prepared for them.

Room Tip: The rooms are all pretty much the same. Just don't have food in them and you shouldn't have...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
3  Thank ma_golfman

Dear ma_golfman,

Thank you for writing a description of your experience so that future guests have a better idea of what to expect. We are glad to hear that despite this type of adventure not being your typical vacation, you got outside of your comfort zone and enjoyed it. We do our best to provide guests with the best possible experience while having the least possible impact on the sensitive ecosystems of the Amazon rainforest.

We will pass your salutations to your guide Silverio.
Thanks again for choosing Rainforest Expeditions,
from the staff at Posada Amazonas

Reviewed April 3, 2013

We had a really great time here - the package we booked was just as advertised. Our guide Silverio was so knowledgable & patient. The rooms perfect - opened out to the jungle, saw lots of wildlife just wandering past our rooms. We were looked after so well by the staff & really enjoyed the activities. My only negative was that it would have been great to try more traditional Peruvian food as advertised on the website. Also, take lots of clothes as you have time to shower & change between activities which helps with the humidity. All in all an amazing experience in the jungle!

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lisamckernan
Reviewed April 2, 2013

Everything got damp, not just from the rain during the first 24 hours, but from that beautiful humid heat that clears the pores, and gets into the nice clean clothing we brought.

Our guide, Fernando, was quite excellent. He even encouraged me to climb the 180' observation tower (I am only good to 6' above the ground). It was worth it!

The other visits were absolutely fantastic even if the animal did not always cooperate. Our small group of just 6, was really excellent, made it seem that we were all receiving individual attention, education and instruction.

The accommodation was very different from the hotels and ship we experienced during the rest of our trip. Who would have thought that having the bedroom open to the outdoors would have been so pleasant, made more so by the animals which visited the open area just outside.

We visited the Sacred Valley, Machu Picchu and the Galapagos, but the fondest memories are of Posada Amazonas.

Great accommodation, great guide, superb excursions, excellent food, lovely people.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank d_h155032

Dear d_h155032,

At Posada Amazonas we do our best to provide guests with a top quality experience while also protecting our surrounding culture and environment. We are so glad to hear that you enjoyed your time with us and will make sure to pass your compliments on to your guide Fernando.

Nice work overcoming your fear and going to the top of the canopy tower. This is one of the best places to view the forest from a bird's eye view!

Hope to see you again some day.
Safe travels,

from the staff at Posada Amazonas

Reviewed April 1, 2013

The crew and location of the lodge set this 3 day trip apart from any other jungle adventure that we have been to. The lodge is located 1.5 hour boat trip up the river and a 10 minute walk in the jungle. No roads or cell phone coverage! The rooms were rustic and spacious, that is open to the jungle and is always next to you. The guide was excellent (Jamie), he knew the jungle very well as he has lived there all his life and he was very accommodating to the group’s needs. The food was very tasty and we always had plenty of food for seconds if you worked hard on the tours. We spotted more animals in 2 full days in the jungle than spending weeks in the jungle in Central America. The excursions were an adventure, we especially liked the boat trip on Oxbow lake, the macaw clay lick, climbing the 32m Brazil Nut tree and kayaking down the Tambopata river. The only knock against this resort was the moisture in the air, once something gets wet, it will stay wet for the duration of your stay in the jungle, but this is what we expected and we packed accordingly with plenty of quick dry material.

Room Tip: Take the soft adventure package, the extra excitement of the more physical excursions is well worth...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DestinationDave_7

Hi DestinationDave,

Thanks for giving us you feedback on the adventure activities. Its great to hear you enjoyed them.

Our lodge is constructed with bedrooms that open out onto the surrounding rainforest, allowing guests to enjoy this unique ecosystem even on their downtime, with wild animals, including monkeys, often visible from the lodge. That said, depending on the season they visit, guests also experience the humidity of the Amazon rainforest. It sounds like you planned accordingly. Future guests can find a complete list of what to bring on our website (/www.perunature.com/amazon-jungle-trip-what-to-bring.html).

Thanks again for choosing Rainforest Expeditions. We hope to see you again someday!

From the staff at Posada Amazonas

Reviewed April 1, 2013

Everything about Posadas Amazonas was amazing! Wonderful guides and staff, and beautiful landscape. The rooms were clean and comfortable, and the food was local and very tasty. We were even able to see the endangered river otters on Oxbow Lake and fish for piranhas-[. I would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve
Tres Chimbadas Lake Lodge
Tres Chimbadas Lake Lodge
#6 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Posada Amazonas? Share your experiences!