“Great experience!”
Review of Posada Amazonas

Posada Amazonas
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 26, 2013

Posada Amazonas was by far, my favourite thing about my trip to Peru!

The hotel staff was very welcoming and the place itself is beautiful and well-kept. I did have a couple issues with the room, but they were minor. First, the mosquito net on the queen-sized bed in our room had quite a few holes, all of them large enough for mosquitoes to get in. This didn't bother me too much, as there really weren't that many mosquitoes around, but I could see how this could be an issue for some. The other thing was that the bed head was very dusty and spider-webby - again not a deal breaker, but compared to how clean everything else felt, it seemed a little sloppy.

Also, as far as the food goes, it was delicious and well-presented, but I felt that as vegetarians, there was very little protein provided for us. This is a common problem in Peru, where vegetarian food is considered to be "healthy, light eating" but when you are hiking through the forest, a little protein goes a long way, and they were lacking in this department.

Another issue that I had was at the beginning of the trip - after the airport pickup, we were taken to their office in Puerto Maldonado to "re-pack" our bags so that we could leave the heavier stuff that we didn't need behind. Some sort of notification of this would have been great, because I don't know about you, but not only did I hate re-packing in public, but it was unexpected and rushed.

Apart from those minor issues, we had an amazing time! Our guide Luis was amazing - very patient and enthusiastic, and incredibly knowledgable. We also got to know Oscar, who accompanied us on a couple excursions and he was also very friendly and knowledgable. Such great guys!

Needless to say I would return in a flash (maybe even move there if I could) haha! I would just have to bring a lot of protein bars, haha!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Birdiki

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Many reviewers have said it all, the place is a fun excellent way to experience the Amazon. We had two kids with us (10 and 6) and they were in absolute heaven. Our personal guide Paula was so good with them and us, and they are all excellent at finding the animals. Overall it was well worth going, and my fear that the kids wouldn't "see" enough animals since it is the wild, were calmed because they saw enough (and the monkeys at the office by the airport were a hit) and was lots of interesting things to see in a quick moment. It's amazing what you can find fascinating on a walk, with a good guide. In fact I would say for kids this is an ideal adventure and provided us as parents an additional activity in the joy of watching them be fascinated too. As an adult travelling without kids, often times I can comment as though I didn't have the kids with me, but this one I am not sure I can. I did notice that another group did not seem to have as good a guide and I would think that could dramatically change your experience. Three nights is plenty to feel like you have seen it, as there is lots of downtime baked into it and I could see us being bored with anything more. Anything less is absolutely doable just more that it takes so long to get here and with how flights work that you could run the risk of feeling like you didn't really experience it.

As for the room set-up etc., I loved the netting, open wall, twig like bathroom, lanterns etc. and it's all still quite rustic but nice. if you have even been on a canoe trip this will feel like a lap of luxury canoe trip in a way. As for the coolness and quaintness factor which is why we went to the Amazon was just perfect for me, so any quirks were part of the charm (and I can equally love my four seasons!). The guides have all meals with you, in a buffet style setting, with communal tables, and while I don't always go on adventures to "meet" people, this type of trip lends itself well to talking with other travellers at meals. Sharing your experiences or animal sightings that day is all part of the adventure.

The adventures we took were:
1) Oxbow lake with piranha fishing (I think the highlight) but no river otter sightings (disappointing but it's so beautiful and the fishing makes up for it),
2) Medicinal plants (more interesting and fun then it could sound as it's not "animals" though we saw birds and interesting army ants),
3) the tower (gorgeous view and walk),
4) fruit farm (not our favourite, nothing wrong with it, just nothing much to it)
5) a walk to the Ceiba tree (one big tree that is very neat to see - but it's the journey with the guide that makes it interesting - we saw jaguar kill, learned to climb the vines etc. etc.).
6) night walk (a short walk after dinner that is not "exciting" on it's own but interesting to do)
7) boat rides to some of these also lead to adventures along the way and animal sightings

Also while we were on our way back from the fruit farm on the boat, and picking up a group that had been at the Medicinal site, we got an opportunity to play on the beach there (and see fresh sloth tracks). The sun was setting, the kids were building sand castles with Paula, and it was all just glorious. Then the kids, being in the moment, braved it and went for a swim (you wouldn't catch me in there...too scared). I think this was actually our other highlight of the Amazon and almost should be a family planned excursion. Perhaps it was the spontaneity of it, perhaps it was the beauty of the setting sun, or our mood, but we just loved it. So anyone going with a family should mention it to their guide.

Room Tip: Can't think that any rooms would be different, except that the further away you are the less cha...
Stayed: March 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TorontoFunforall
DaniellelParker, Public Relations Manager at Posada Amazonas, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear TorontoFunforall,

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed trip report! We are so glad to get the feedback and hear that you enjoyed the activities. Our guides are trained to cater to groups traveling with children so we are happy to hear that your experience was a good one.

Thanks again for the feedback and come back again!
Danielle Krautmann and the staff at Posada Amazonas

Reviewed February 16, 2013

With both of us being beyond sixty, and the fact that we were with you from Dec. 17-20, it seems appropriate to mention that a honeymoon was the purpose of our visit.
What an adventure it was, and we came away with a lifetime of memories. The rooms were clean, comfortable, and so completely different from anything we had experienced before. From the moment we arrived at the lodge, and were greeted with cold towels and fresh pineapple juice, the stay was extraordinary. Not having television, phones, and all the other "noise" provided a chance to de-stress; lamp light and candles added the perfect touch at night. The daily adventures offered physical challenge as well as learning.
The staff was friendly, helpful, and ready to answer questions about everything.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 14, 2013

What an amazing place. We are getting a bit old for this but we wouldn't have missed it for quids. Look there are some downs but in general this is a don't miss experience. The rooms are open and basic, the food is just average but filling enough. Adventure tourism is what it is, comfort is not a premium but adequate. The bats in the belfry did poop in the bat girls drinks on New Year's Eve but you are in the jungle and bats in the rooms well they just are. The tour guide didn't front for a tour on New Year's Day but we got there with another hungover guide anyway so it worked. We had some amazing adventures and met some sensational people all thanks to this amazing place. We probably will never be back not because we didn't like it but because we are still exhausted.As a final comment perhaps more needs to be done on ensuring a safer place for guests. The wooden staircases at tour destinations and up to the lodge are not well maintained. We saw too many people fall on these to leave it unsaid.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Allan.G49
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We stayed here for three nights in December 2012. This was our first ever experience of the rain forest; everything was new, exciting and different. The lodge itself was beautiful and in harmony with with it`s environment. The staff were wonderfully friendly, helpful and very efficient. The meals, like the environment, were different and interesting, with beautiful local produce. A very special thank you to our guide Lois; his passion for the rain forest was obvious and a delight. The organised trips were all fun as well as being educational. Rooms were an open window into the forest; on our last morning there I watched spider monkeys from the shower! Hot and humid, we experienced sunshine and torrential rain, exactly as it should be!
I have no criticism at all, this was a lovely location, sympathetically built to blend with the wonderful environment.

Room Tip: They`re all good!
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 6, 2013

What made this place extra extra special were the tour guides and the staff! Gilbert was our guide for the duration of our stay. He was so funny and friendly but most importantly extremely knowledgeable about the amazon and its (his) native community. He was so patient and caring about the way he taught us about ALL the different forna and flora. The pousada was beautiful, clean and so much more then we could have ever wanted out of our experience in the Amazon. The activities organised for us were exciting, unique, unexpected and fun!! Out of our entire trip around South America, the journey to Pousada Amazonas and the experiences we had were the most unforgettable. We hope to visit again!

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2013

The only thing I wasn't happy with at Posada Amazonas was that we only spent two nights there! The lodge was a perfect combination of rustic and comfort. I loved the open rooms -- waking up in the middle of the night to the sounds of the Amazon (and the occasional firefly flying past my bed, and the soft sound of wings flying past -- bats? owls?!?) is something I will remember for my entire life. And how else would I get great photos a a few dusky titi monkeys moving through the trees just outside our room? Our guide, Leny, was very knowledgeable about the plants, birds, amphibians, mammals, insects -- everything, really -- and answered all of our questions (considering three of the four of us in our group are wildlife biologists, that's saying a lot!).

Several of the people in our group of eight (our guide was assigned us four and two other couples) missed a few of the excursions, and I would strongly recommend against missing anything! I wouldn't have missed any of the trips they took us on -- the oxbow lake was incredible (giant otters! hoatzin! anis! aracaris! piranha fishing!), the trip to the tower was great (although some of us were hesitant at climbing that high!), the clay lick was awesome (two species of macaws!), the native plant/medicine tour was extremely informative, and best of all -- the night hike! Leny took us to see a female chicken tarantula in her burrow protecting her young (viewed from a safe distance, of course), and on the way back, we were buzzed by bats, tracked down a few calling tree frogs, and got to see a night monkey (apparently very rare) and a Brazilian porcupine foraging in the trees.

Obviously, the wildlife was my main interest and I was thrilled with what I saw. But beyond that, I found the lodge to be very warm, welcoming, and clean. The food was very good; and the staff was incredibly knowledgable, friendly, and helpful. The manager was very accommodating and quick to help when I (stupidly) locked my wallet in the safe without setting a combination...

We were in Peru for a little under two weeks, and looking back, I would have easily traded most of that time (excluding our hike on the Inca Trail to Machu Picchu) for more time at Posada Amazonas. This was a trip of a lifetime, and I'm having a hard time deciding whether to move on to a new place/country for my next big trip, or return here.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Shawn1222

Dear Shawn1222,
If the one thing you did not like was that you didn't stay longer, I guess we've met our goal of giving guests the best possible experience in the Amazon. Thank you for writing such a great description of your trip. We hope you return again some day!
The Staff at Posada Amazonas

#1 of 63 in Puerto Maldonado
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica
Inkaterra Reserva Amazonica
#3 of 63 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Posada Amazonas? Share your experiences!