Posada Amazonas was by far, my favourite thing about my trip to Peru!
The hotel staff was very welcoming and the place itself is beautiful and well-kept. I did have a couple issues with the room, but they were minor. First, the mosquito net on the queen-sized bed in our room had quite a few holes, all of them large enough for mosquitoes to get in. This didn't bother me too much, as there really weren't that many mosquitoes around, but I could see how this could be an issue for some. The other thing was that the bed head was very dusty and spider-webby - again not a deal breaker, but compared to how clean everything else felt, it seemed a little sloppy.
Also, as far as the food goes, it was delicious and well-presented, but I felt that as vegetarians, there was very little protein provided for us. This is a common problem in Peru, where vegetarian food is considered to be "healthy, light eating" but when you are hiking through the forest, a little protein goes a long way, and they were lacking in this department.
Another issue that I had was at the beginning of the trip - after the airport pickup, we were taken to their office in Puerto Maldonado to "re-pack" our bags so that we could leave the heavier stuff that we didn't need behind. Some sort of notification of this would have been great, because I don't know about you, but not only did I hate re-packing in public, but it was unexpected and rushed.
Apart from those minor issues, we had an amazing time! Our guide Luis was amazing - very patient and enthusiastic, and incredibly knowledgable. We also got to know Oscar, who accompanied us on a couple excursions and he was also very friendly and knowledgable. Such great guys!
Needless to say I would return in a flash (maybe even move there if I could) haha! I would just have to bring a lot of protein bars, haha!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Posada Amazonas is a 30 bedroom lodge owned by the Native Community of Infierno and managed with Rainforest Expeditions. Thanks to its accessibility, excellent wildlife observation opportunities, cultural context and comfortable accommodations, Posada Amazonas is ideal for a two night introduction to Tambopata's rain forests. It is located within the territory of the Infierno Community, built within the 2,000 hectare, private, communal reserve, which in turn is directly adjacent to the Tambopata National Reserve. Posada Amazonas was selected to be among the Best Eco Hotels in 2014 by Gogobot. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Hotels.com, Orbitz, Booking.com, Travelocity and Priceline so you can book your Posada Amazonas reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Posada Amazonas Hotel Tambopata National Reserve
- Posada Amazonas Peru/Tambopata National Reserve