All reviewslocal communitythe riveropen wallfood was greathowler monkeyswonderful experiencejungle experiencepuerto maldonadomosquito netnight hikeminute boat ridefew hoursclose to naturejungle soundsthree dayspisco soursguide luis
Reviewed April 29, 2012

we spent 3 nights here recently and it was wonderful.had great guide,Fino,who looked after us and was a wikipaedia of the forest.the staff are all friendly and the food was fine.the units are very open plan and have an open wall to the forest.
plenty of walks/trips to keep you as busy as you want
definitely worth a visit

Room Tip: furthest from dining area the quietest
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 25, 2012

This jungle lodge is not somewhere that you can just arrive, knock on the door, and ask if there is a room available for the night! It is necessary to book a package which includes being collected from Puerto Maldonado airport (flights available from either Cusco or Lima) and transported by road to a river station to embark on what is described as a motorised canoe (looks about the same as a 1920's Thames launch except it is powered by a large outboard engine rather than a small inboard petrol or steam engine) for the rest of the journey which takes about an hour.

Various packages are available and my Wife and I chose the cheapest which is the "intro to the Amazon" three days and two nights, for single occupancy this would cost $485(US) but for double occupancy it is $375(US) per person - $750(US) or a little bit less than £500(UK) for the two of us - FANTASTIC VALUE.

So what did we get for our £400++?............The collection from the airport (and the return there at the end of our visit)...............The services of really enthusiastic and friendly guides.............A large number of activities including fishing for piranhas...........A trip to an ox-bow lake where we saw giant river otters............A trip to a hide overlooking a clay lick frequented by parrots, parakeets, and macaws.............A night walk through the jungle..................Sure I have forgotten to mention something but there is just so much to explore and enjoy!!..............About 15 minutes walk from the lodge is a 30 metre (about 100 feet) high observation tower, going up there are three viewing platforms, the first at monkey level (although is is quite rare to see any of them), the second at the 'top of tree' level, and the third above the canopy with a vast vista of treetops and the river.

Also included in the price are all meals, not exactly gourmet standard (who expects to find a michelin* in the jungle?) but very enjoyable and well adequate. The only thing not included in the price are drinks. There is a well stocked bar - beer, wine, and a great range of cocktails (and water if you want it). The bar prices are extremely reasonable.

The rooms are basic but very comfortable and have en-suite facilities. One side is open and sometimes "things" may visit during the night --- some of the most colourful butterflies and moths I have ever seen, and sometimes little scuffling sounds on the floor!! But we are laying on a comfortable bed under a protective mosquito net!!

My general advice is that if you have any severe mobility problems please do not visit (a degree of agility is required). Do take a torch (US - flashlight) with you - there is no electricity at night and if you need to get out of bed to visit the loo you do not want to tread on anything nasty!! Talking of electricity, the generator only runs for about two hours a day, the rest of the time it is candlelight or oil lamp - if you need to charge up your mobile (US - cell-phone) or anything else make sure you meet this window.

To summarize I can say only one thing - IF YOU HAVE EVER HAD THE DESIRE TO VISIT A RAIN-FOREST you will really enjoy your visit to POSADA AMAZONAS.......................ENJOY!!!

Thought I had finished but have just rememberd two more things, firstly when darkness arrives the sound begins - so many jungle noises, a perfect lullaby to ensure a serene nights sleep, and secondly had my first ever encounter (not in the bedroom) with a big hairy tarantular - he/she looked very cuddly and strokeable but I decided not to.

• Stayed: October 2011, traveled as a couple
4  Thank InnesDorchester
Reviewed April 22, 2012

I loved everything about this place, from the natural surroundings, to the lack of intruding technology, and all eco-concious materials and supplies. But mostly the incredicley lovable guides and their friendly, caring and accomodating nature. The food was a mix of vegetarian and non-veg which was more than I expected at a jungle lodge since I had bad experience at Peruvian cities hotels. I missed this place already one day after leaving. I never thought I could find so much peace in a place so remote and loud (monkeys/frogs/birds), keeping in mind I have hyperacusis! I loved most the guide Robin's cute animated style of explaining :)

Room Tip: If you fear insects pick rooms with center beds and remember to spray bug repellent two hours on your net before sleeping. If you can't bathe within view of other people ask for curtains or blankets to cover the bathroom wall.
  • Stayed: April 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank perla A
Reviewed April 20, 2012

The staff are as helpful and friendly as any I've ever seen and the guides are extremely knowledgeable (as well as helpful and friendly, too). The activities and tours they have included in the price were great and the extra available activities well worth it.
The lodge was kept very clean, beds were comfortable and the food was great. There was also a very nice, relaxed atmosphere that helped us to just relax and enjoy.
It truly was an amazing trip - highly recommended!

• Stayed: February 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank rjheit
Reviewed April 11, 2012

I loved this place, it's rustic but has all the necessary comforts. The atmosphere is relaxing yet there's so much to see and do. The accomodations are nice and clean, the food was delicious, the cocktails were strong and the guides were super cool.

It's a great experience and the rainforest is so amazing. I have to thank our guides Pedro and Jamie for making the experience so special, their enthusiasm and love for the forest and animals was genuine.

• Stayed: April 2012, traveled with friends