“We stayed Our two middle nights here and worth it”

Tambopata Research Center
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed September 3, 2013

We stayed at the Refugio Amazonas the first and 4th night and at Tambopata research center the middle two nights. Our family highly recommends this. You see more monkeys at TRC than the Refugio. Also, the macaws are amazing. The food is the same and usually very good Peruvian style. (although I have to think the chef is off the night they make for some reason Lasagna night!) Seriously, it is a little more rustic at TRC. You can read my travel log at tabhauser.com and click Peru. Bring bug spray and thin long sleeve shirts. Bring old clothes you can leave with the staff when you are done with. This will give you less to take home and you are donating the clothes to a good place. We donated a few shirts and a pair of older teva hiking sneakers

Room Tip: Get a room in the front you don't have to hear the kitchen if you are light sleeper
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank tabhauser
RainforestExp, Manager at Tambopata Research Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 15, 2013

Thank you for reviewing our lodge. Yes, you are right there is more chance to see wildlife at TRC as it is situated deep into the Tambopata National Reserve surrounded by pristine rainforest. It is recommended to bring repellent and long sleeve shirts. Thanks for your recommendation for bringing old clothes and donate to the staff at the end of your trip. Our staff is always very happy to get these donations at the end of each month. If you are a light sleeper it is also recommended to bring earplugs as jungle noises at night might disturb you.

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We travelled here as a family of four with our two boys aged 11 and 14 and we had a fantastic time. We stayed 3 nigths here and 3 nights at The Refugio Amazonas and this was definitley our favourite, although the Refugio is lovely too..... just not as deep into the jungle and so less wildlife.... and much busier.
The boat ride is part of the experience. I had read a lot about it before hand but it was even more excting than I expected! We encountered some white water, (not very scary) and for some of the river we needed a naviagor at the front of the boat to make sure we did not hit any of the trees that had naturally fallen into the river.
We went primarily for the wildlife and were not disapointed. Our guide Johan was amazing- he knew so much about the jungle and cared about it passionately.He was great with us and the boys. We saw 6 of the 7 kinds of monkies in the area and saw all 6 varities of macaw at the clay lick. I think we counted over 100 hundred different species of bird by the end of our stay at both lodges!A great sighting was a harpie eagle.
For me the most amazing wildlife experience was seeing a tapir on the early morning boat ride leaving the centre and heading back to Refugio. I was a little digruntled that the boat left so early ( about 5.15 am ) but it was so worthwhile! We got an amazing sighting of a tapir just standing in the water and totally unconcerned by us, then we saw a tamadua ( small type of anteater swimming in the water ) and an ocelot ( my 11 year olds favourite).
From talking to other visitors the best combination of lodges, to maximise seeing animals, may be Posada and the Research Centre rather than Refugio as at Posada you have the opportunity to see giant river otters. We did not stay there however so that bit is not first hand.
If you love wildlife and don't mind living in relatively basic, but very clean, and more than adequate accommodation ( with wonderful food) then this is for you.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I loved it here. The ride on the bus and boat took awhile, but it's worth it. A secluded resort with simple rooms - electricity is on just for a little while.

Rooms are three walls, comfy beds with mosquito nets, good showers, and a hammock. If your roommate wants to hog it, you can always use a hammock in the general area. I did, and ended up watching a large group of tiny, black monkeys make their way quietly through the area.

Food was good, our guide was great. I'd go back again! FYI: One couple was here for only 2 nights and regretted being here so little time (1/2 of each of those days is travel); I suggest the 3 night, at least.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with friends
RainforestExp, Manager at Tambopata Research Center, responded to this reviewResponded September 6, 2013

Thank you for your review, it´s right that sometimes a few days are not enough to see all the wonders of TRC. Here are some recommended tours for your next visit:
Tambopata Research Center - 5D/4N
Tambopata Research Center Tour - 6D/5N
Tambopata Research Center - Parrot Lovers Program - 7D/6N

You can find more details in our webpage: www.perunature.com

Reviewed August 19, 2013

Wow. The TRC is a place I dont' want to write a review about, because I don't want to share! We had the best experience there!

Let me explain the trip a bit and the place so you understand how it works. They pick you up from the airport in PM and take you on a 1 hr bus ride to the river. Sometimes you have to wait around the area for your boat, but it's not long and there is shade.

Then you get on a 2+ hr canoe ride to the Refugio Amazonas. We had an amazing night there, but most of our time was at the TRC.

The next day you get to go on another 4 hour boat ride up the Tambopata with your fellow adventurers to the TRC. The river can be low and at times appear kinda scary, but we got there safe and sound. Be advised you do have to climb a few sets of steep stairs up the rivers to go through various check points on the river, but it's doable and the guides are always there to help. The sand flies are killer though. I wouldn't absolutely suggest using bug spray before you get off the boat or make sure your pants are long and tucked into your socks.

It's about a 10 minute walk to the TRC from the river and from there you end up in this magical fairy land called the jungle. It is awesome. The staff and the researchers at TRC are amazing, always willing to help and teach.

Magical tidbits:

The food was the best we had in Peru.
The magical cup of coffee they give you when you get up at the crack of dawn to see the Macaws is just pure genius.
The resident macaws stealing food is amazing.
Macaws on the railing in your room, life changing.
Howler monkeys in the forest at the crack on dawn... surreal and haunting.
Anaconda and jaguar tracks, amazing!
The smell of wild boar, unforgetable.
Sunset and sunrise on the tambopata, breath taking.

The place is just amazing. I really did leave a bit of my heart there. I want to go back.

Be advised, you def need clothes, if you do a lot of hiking, you are going to be really sweaty and gross. The cool thing is, everyone else is just the same. Take a pair of comfy breezy clothes for the lodge as the bugs aren't as crazy and much more managable.

The bathrooms are shared, but I never had an issue. And you can hear everything your neighbors do, but it's worth it! Plus you're so tired, you usually don't care!

The hammocks are genius!

Let me just end with Juan Carlos. He is a just a freaking gem. If you get far enough into this review to read this and you reqest him as your guide, you're doing the right thing. He got so excited when we saw cool animals. He has a great sense of humor and is super knowledgable. He has a freaking eagle eye. We constantly felt like we were playing where's waldo with him. On top of it, he's just a great person.

Loved, loved, loved the TRC.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank soverygrateful

If you left a piece of your heart in TRC you should come back to find it :)
Thank you for your detailed review, I am sure that it will be very useful for further visitors.
We already sent your review to your guide Juan Carlos.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

Our 3 days at TRC were fantastic: The lodge is beautiful, set right in the middle of the rainforest much further along the river than any of the other eco-tourism destinations, making TRC a really unique experience. As TRC specialises in researching macaws you can expect quite a few avian visitors, especially at meal times, when there are often colourful thieves on the prowl!
All the staff were excellent and the room was lovely.The food provided was also delicious and plentiful.
However, it was our guide Jose- Antonio who made the whole experience truly memorable. He is such a warm, funny and welcoming person we felt immediately as if we were in the company of a friend, not a tour guide. His knowledge of the jungle is encyclopaedic and he must surly possess the sight of and eagle and the hearing of bat as he could spot and identify animals from hundreds of metres away, ensuring we didn't miss a thing! Jose even managed to spot the elusive jaguar hidden in the bushes on a foggy morning - amazing! We were very lucky to have such a brilliant guide.
I would thoroughly recommend TRC to anyone thinking about visiting the Peruvian rainforest.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple

Thanks for your review, indeed, Jose Antonio is a really good guie of our, combining a great knowledge and a good sense of interaction with people. We will pass your words to him.

Reviewed August 10, 2013

We stayed for 3 nights as part of a Rainforest Expedition trip. The place was as clean as a lodge deep in the jungle could be and housekeeping was great keeping shared bathrooms cleaned and putting mosquito nets down in the evenings. The staff were friendly and the food was delicious. Breakfast was similar each day but there was enough variety for me over 3 days. I wish I could have stayed longer to enjoy the hammocks and explore the surrounding jungle even more as there was SO much wildlife! I highly recommend this lodge for people who are interested in being close to nature.

Some tips if you go: the bathrooms are shared but semi private so you have a sink toilet and shower to yourself but there are only four so they can get busy before and after hikes or excursions so plan ahead. It is the rainforest which means you will get sweaty and clothes do not dry for at least 36 hours so pack accordingly so you aren't hiking around in wet clothes. I'd recommend for ladies two pairs pants and two long sleeve shirts and 2 sports bras for walking. We went out twice a day so you could alternate clothes. Then it was nice to have a lounge around outfit that doubled as pajamas such as a pair of shorts and T-shirt and regular bra. You also must have hiking boots (not sneakers!) And sandals for the lodge. You may be wondering, why long sleeves and pants?? Won't I get hot and look dorky? Trust me! The girls who tried to look cute in their shorts and tank tops were covered in the most horrific insect bites I've ever seen within 12 hours. Walking through the jungle there are a lot of bugs and you never know where critters are. The lodge has far fewer insects so you can dress differently there. Also, wear pants on the boat!!!! The sand flies are awful near the shore and their bites are painful, itchy, and turn into oozing blisters that last for days..get the point? Cover yourself! On the long rides you could just wear convertible pants and zip them off when you're moving. I just left and I didn't want to forget these things. I really loved this place!

Room Tip: Be aware that double beds are limited so you are likely to be sleeping in a different bed from your...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank COadmAL
Reviewed August 6, 2013

Amazing place in the middle of the jungle, luxury I would say. Great food and comfortable stay overall. My only complain is the guide, Richard, he seemed very uninterested in the group (7 of us) until the last day (tipping day) of course. In my opinion the other guides seemed much nicer. The trip was booked with Rainforest Expeditions.

Room Tip: This place is much nicer than Refugio Amazonas.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your review and also for letting us know about your guide behaivour. We will talk to him, our policy with guides are to motivate them to provide the best service with a friendly atmosphere.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Tambopata National Reserve
#4 of 20 in Tambopata National Reserve
Chuncho Lodge
Chuncho Lodge
#8 of 64 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Tambopata Research Center? Share your experiences!