“Incredible!”

Tambopata Research Center
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 11, 2011

We spent a night at Refugio Amazonas with Rainforest Expeditions, two nights at the Tambopata Research Center, and another night at Refugio Amazonas with our 10 year old grandson the first part of September. This was a wonderful trip - beyond our expectations. We wish we had spent three nights at the Research Center - or a week! We had wonderful weather and the experience of watching the birds come to the clay lick was breath taking. Our wonderful guide, Oscar, was very knowledgeable and extremely generous with our grandson. We are nature lovers but don't consider ourselves birders. We consider this one of our favorite trips ever. I was concerned about the open rooms but we had no problems and all slept well.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled with family
6  Thank William V
There are newer reviews for Tambopata Research Center

Reviewed November 26, 2011

We stayed at the TRC for two nights and had a wonderful time at the property. The nature is great and the lodge is very nice, but basic. While being there we were guided by Cesar, who is a great guide. He got us very much interested in looking at birds and all the other animals that we encountered. Cesar is punctual, funny and he has great gear to view the animals.

The only point of criticism from us is that the manager (or assistant manager - this was not clear to us) is not friendly. The woman never smiles and treats her guests as if they are a nuisance, rather than paying customers. For example, upon arrival we found out that our room had two single beds rather than the requested double bed. Even though the lodge was almost empty on the days we were there (which was nice!), the manager made a big fuss about giving us a double. Eventually we did go back to her and said 'listen, nr. 11 is empty and it is a double, we're moving in there'...that got her moving, albeit at a very slow and lethargic pace.

Nevertheless, TRC is a great place with wonderful wildlife and also good food!

A+E

Room Tip: All rooms are good, just ensure you are specific in advance on whether you want single beds or a kin...
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
2  Thank AlexanderDH
Reviewed November 16, 2011

I recently stayed here and at the Refugio Amazonas with Rainforest Expeditions for a few nights and everything over exceeded my expectations. The accommodations at both places were so clean, inviting and wonderful I could have lived here forever. If your looking for a great jungle experience this could't fit the bill more. The staff were so friendly and my guide Oscar was the best guide I have ever had anywhere I have traveled.He was so enjoyable to be around and I was so impressed by his honest interest and knowledge of ALL the flora and fauna. As a young wildlife biologist in the United States myself, his knowledge of his own local environment far exceeded what I even knew even of my own and he was just so fantastic. As far as the accommodations and transportation, they were above what I ever expected also. I didn't want to leave. The researchers also incorporate education into your trip at TRC which just adds to the whole experience also. Thank you for the time of my life.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank Neverst0pexpl0ring
Reviewed November 14, 2011

We’d decided before we came out here to do more than the basic three day jungle trip and, as a result, we’ve been to two lodges which were both great. We liked the one further up-river, called the Tambopata Research Centre, the best though. Major attractions of the TRC were the resident Macaws (we may do a separate post about them!), the staff who were super friendly and the fact that relatively few tourists make it out that far (it is about 8 hours in a motorised canoe from the nearest town). On the way we ate locally prepared food wrapped in leaves – it was pretty good and once you’d finished you could chuck the whole lot in the river as it is all bio-degradable.

When I read about the lodges I was a little concerned that the rooms only had three walls – one is open and affords a great view of the jungle! It said that mosquitos were relatively few but there were certainly enough to keep me wafting my arms around like a loony – and there were lots of other bugs too.

The lodges (especially TRC) are pretty basic – cold water only – no electricity in the rooms, with candles and oil lamps only at night. Power for charging camera batteries was only available for about four hours a day in the reception area. But despite everything we had a fantastic time and it really rivals the Galapagos as an experience. I don’t think any of us will forget the friendly staff and fantastic fresh juices we had coming back from rainforest walks.

Room Tip: They are all great as long as you are happy with 3 walls!
  • Stayed: May 2011, traveled with family
1  Thank Bobty47
Reviewed November 10, 2011

First of all, I absolutely loved it. My husband who is more the bug-phobia type enjoyed it but not to the same degree. If you are a camper and have always loved the outdoors with everything that goes with it, it will feed a part of your soul that is unforgettable. If you are like my husband who went because he wanted to see it in case it disappears, there was lots he enjoyed but 'feed you soul?'...not going to happen. We signed up with Rainforest Expeditions and Berli was our guide. Berli was very knowledgable and passionate about his career and the Amazon. We stayed on route at Refugio for one night and again for two nights coming back. Tambopata was more rustic than Refugio, and older but still very eco-orientated, beautifully designed with comfortable beds and decent food. If you are looking for luxury this is not the trip for you but if you want an experience that truly makes you feel like you are part of something amazing(even if its out of your comfort zone) than go, see, and lay in your bed early in the morning and just listen to a world that is so filled with life. We have all heard the rainforest soundtracks but hearing it in person is so vitally different. Was my husband awed by it? Not so much. Is he still glad he went? Most definitely, would not have missed it! Would he go back? No. Would I? In a minute! And I'm the one who got stung by a wasp! It is a magical place that may not always be there with what we are doing to this world. Tambopata Research Center , Refugio and Rainforest Expeditions is doing a great thing by offering this kind of holiday. They are educating the public and researching the macaws which will hopefully protect their existence for a very long time. In case anyone is interested we signed up for the Soft Adventure Package. This included kyaking, mountain biking and canopy climbing. We enjoyed it. No matter what the web site says though, you do it all at Refugio, not TRC. Trust them on this, it's better and there are reasons for it. My mountain bike wasn't up to snuff so Enzo (our adventure guide) traded bikes with me. It was not my favourite activity but I do like the exercise. Kyaking was fun. It's a two hour paddle, going up stream first looking for caimens and birds and other mammals, a very fun, short paddle through some rapids, (we did that twice because it was so fun) and then an easy paddle back. The canopy climbing was my favourite but I'm a tom boy at heart and have always loved climbing trees. It could be challenging if you're not very fit or co-ordinated. Possible, just not as fun. Our guide (Berli) timed this so we got up there at sunset. It was a beautiful way to end our final evening in the Amazon.

• Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank scissorgirl
Reviewed October 31, 2011

Over all we had a wonderful experience. But you definately have to be outdoorsy on order to enjoy it.
We stayed in Refugio amazonas which was truly incredible.
There were no private bathrooms.
The rooms quite small, it rained on us and we got wet! Not too bad but enought to feel the damp.
The highlight of our entire trip was the people specially our guide he was truly amazing we had a blast!

• Stayed: July 2011
Reviewed October 23, 2011

If you're visiting the Amazon, don't stop without putting in the extra effort to get to Tambopata Research Center (TRC)! It takes an extra day to arrive because it's an additional four hours upstream beyond Refugio Amazonas, but well worth it. The first night is spent at Refugio Amazonas, with guided tours of the area jungle. I saw lots of unique birds and insects (tarantulas, etc). But the real eye-openers didn't happen until arriving at TRC the following day. Because it's so much futher in the jungle, with less human intrusion, brightly-colored macaws were a common occurrance. During the 4-day visit, we spotted howler monkeys, spider monkeys, saddleback tamarins, and really cute squirrel monkeys! There were a couple scarlet macaws which visited the guest rooms and breakfast area every day. (Keep any food locked up!). The rooms are rustic, but in a good way which is fitting for the environment. The exterior wall to the room is completely open to the outside, allowing macaw visitors to check you and your belongings out. Each bed has mosquito netting to keep out bugs while you sleep. As electricity is from a generator powered on for a couple hours each day (recharging camera batteries, etc), each nightstand has a candle used to help you locate items in the dark. Showers/toilets are down the hall, which may seem a little rustic, but that is part of the reason why you're there. The restrooms are very spacious. Cold water only, but after all day trekking in the jungle, it is very refreshing. Don't drink the tap water. The lodge provides jugs of filtered water for drinking and brushing teeth. Our guide Ruben was excellent, a biologist who could name every plant and animal pointed out, and provided very interesting facts about the jungle and its inhabitants. In addtion to the official tours, any time new animals were spotted around the TRC, Ruben would find us in the lodge and bring us to the sighting. The meals prepared were outstanding, including the meals to-go which were provided on the boat during transit.

Room Tip: All the rooms are the same.
  • Stayed: October 2011, traveled with friends
#8 of 61 in Puerto Maldonado
Inotawa Lodge
Inotawa Lodge
#4 of 20 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Tambopata Research Center? Share your experiences!