Tambopata Research Center
Maloka Sandoval Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)
$240
$110
  • Restaurant
El Refugio K'erenda Homet(Tambopata National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$50
Green Diamond Amazon Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$160
  • Room Service
Hotel Brillo(Tambopata National Reserve)(Great Value!)
$30
Chuncho Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)
$400
  • Restaurant
Wasai Tambopata Lodge(Tambopata National Reserve)
$588
  • Restaurant
Hotel Puerto Amazonico(Puerto Maldonado)
$53
Hotel Cabana Quinta(Puerto Maldonado)
$55
Heath River Wildlife Center(Tambopata National Reserve)
  • Restaurant
El Gato(Tambopata National Reserve)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsrefugio amazonasrainforest expeditionsclay lickthe riverpuerto maldonadowild pigsboat rideresident macawsspider monkeysremote locationgreat companyfood was greathead torchflora and faunajaguar tracksamazing guidedifferent types
Reviewed July 15, 2011

We stayed at Refugio Amazonas for one night before travelling up river to the smaller Tambopata RC which we slightly preferred although it was a longer walk to the toliets and the showers were just as cold (remember to shower at lunchtime!).
Our guide Yuri was great company as well as being very good at his job. We stayed for 3 nights and the food was good throughout, watchout for the macaws at breakfast and don't leave your food unattended!
Yuri and Jorge sorted us out with Kayaks and we then travelled back down river in them supported by a boat and driver, camping overnight in the jungle, this was an absolutely brilliant experience, we thought we had got close to nature already but we could virtually touch it in the quiet of the kayaks. I can't quite believe we have kayaked and swam in the Tambopata!
We saw an abundance of wildlife on the boat trip, walks and kayaking including the elusive Jaguar - good spot Yuri!
All the staff are friendly and helpful.
The beds are comfortable and everytihing is clean and well run.
My only suggestion would be to set up a charging system which you could charge drinks etc to and pay at the office in Porto Maldonado at the end of your trip. but then other people probably took enough cash with them!

• Stayed: July 2011, traveled as a couple
3  Thank ScaryMarySouthUK
Reviewed July 13, 2011

Hi
I´ve been in Tambopata Research Center and for me, it was the best thing of my travel in Peru. I´ve visited too Cuzco and Machu Picchu, National Park Huascarán and Tambopata was the best for me. The forest, the calm, the animal, the nature... you can forget of the rest of the world and the staff is very nice and the lodgement too.
Thanks a lot.

• Stayed: May 2011, traveled with friends
Reviewed July 13, 2011

When one goes for a 'Jungle Experience' , you prepare yourself knowing it will be hot and lots of 'critters'. Well, it was all of that, which is what the 'experience' was all about and we absolutely loved it. Accommodations and personnel can also be important.
The lodges, Refugio and Tampobata were 'Top Notch' Clean, well run with VERY hospitable staff. The part that impressed me the most was how they treated their environment, with respect. I can't begin to say how happy we were with our guide, Ivan. Absolutely a wonderful person that took great pains to be sure we had a great time. He took pride in his knowledge and his job. 'Hats Off' to Ivan.

Room Tip: Best Room?! IT's The Jungle! They are all good and OPEN to the whole experience!
  • Stayed: March 2011, traveled with family
2  Thank SignGuy4444
Reviewed July 12, 2011

I loved my tambopata jungle excursion. The stuff I saw in Tambopata, especially at the Tambopata Research Center, was amazing. I personally saw over 100 species of birds, all species of monkeys in the area, tree climbing ant eaters, giant tarantulas, and of course, the coolest thing.... a jaguar.

Rainforest Expeditions was, by far, the nicest outfit in Tambopata. Their guides are all great, speak perfect English (and you can practice your spanish with them too) and the lodging is very comfortable considering your in the middle of nowhere in the jungle. The company has very eco-friendly practices and their business model is something to admire, to say the least.

When you go, I would recommend staying at all 3 lodges on the same trip - minimum 5 days. You'll get a different perspective and see tons of wildlife. A trip to the Tambopata Research Center lodge is long, but TOTALLY worth the effort. Don't forget, good binoculars are a must on this type of trip!

Room Tip: All rooms are great and equally nice!
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled with friends
1  Thank Jon_Travels_World
Reviewed June 28, 2011

Awesome, well worth the additional trip up river. Refugio is very good but Tambopata offers a unique experience and I can't recommend it highly enough. I am a bit of a softy, not mad on insects, mud is not my thing and I hate anything that resembles camping but Tambopata to me was perfect. Yes there are insects but we have worse mozzies in NZ, nothing in the room despite being open to the jungle, they give you wellies so who cares about a bit of mud and the rooms - well sleeping in a room open to the jungle is incredible. Waking to the sound of howler monkeys is something I will always remember.
The guides all seemed great but of course we thought ours (Ruben) was best, they are incredibly knowledgeable and its all so very well organised. Our guide was a biologist and clearly loves the jungle and Tambopata, he went the extra mile to ensure we made the most of our time. There is also time to relax in a hammock and take in the sounds of the jungle.
No electricity except for a couple of hours a day but this adds to the experience, just take a good head torch. Food is excellent considering where you are, just watch the Macaws don't pinch your breakfast.
If you have the time make the extra effort to get to Tambopata, support this worthy organisation and you will come home like us with memories that will last.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple