“Don't visit during wet season”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tambopata National Reserve
Canberra, Australia
“Don't visit during wet season”
Reviewed January 18, 2013

The thing that I remember most about this was the horrendous walk in and out. It had rained and indeed rained during our walk and the very poorly maintained path was 3 k of mud. (The path is not the responsibility of the Lodge.) My wet weather gear was in the bag with the porter who was quite a distance ahead of us so I also got soaked. I had the feeling that the lodge was on its last legs - there was no feeling of vitality about the place. The quality of the food was very patchy and 2 of our party got sick. The rooms were adequate. Given the situation I did not expect luxurious surroundings or every comfort but I did expect the basic requirements advertised to be provided. This did not always occur. However the river otters were magnificent and our guide, Javier, was one of the best.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Skiltsey

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Sherborne, United Kingdom
Reviewed December 24, 2012

The Lodge provides the opportunity to visit and stay in a wonderful National Reserve in the Amazon Basin. It is not easy to to reach, entailing a boat trip, a 2 km hike through jungle, and a half hour canoe trip across the lake, but that's all part of the experience. You take minimal clothing with you. The food is good from a varied but set menu; the rooms are basic but quite adequate and a 'domestic row' would be heard throughout the block. Mosquito nets provided over beds and the blocks are fully enclosed to keep out the insects. The setting on the edge of the lake is great. The choice of drinks is limited, everything has to come in the way you get there.

Room Tip: Rooms are all very similar.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Gratco
South East London
Reviewed November 12, 2012

The lodge itself is average. It is clean but basic and the hot water supply depends on if you get to the shower first. The room we slept in was Ok but the block it was in, shared the same roof with all the other rooms which meant that there was no sound proofing at all. It was possible to hear every conversation and movement of the next door room occupants.
The food was plentiful but very lacking in fresh fruit and vegetables. This may have been due to the problems of transportation to the lodge, as getting to it involves a boat trip down the Amazon, trecking for 2 miles in to the jungle and then another canoe ride across the lake. This also made the beer supply fluctuate.
The nature is amazing though. We had a brilliant guide, named Pepe who knew a lot about the nature and was very friendly.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Stephanie058
Knoxville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 7, 2012

The place is beautiful, great 3 meal courses. I wished they served more tropical fruits from around. It could have been a learning experience. I have nothing bad to say about my room. It was very nice, hot water, no bugs. However, the walls are paper thin, so bring sleeping pills. I was up all night the first night because an old man next room was snoring hard!!!
Anyway, you will be up at 5 am anyway to watch wildlife (monkeys, otters, birds...) I came alone (female) and I had a great time. Nature is beautiful and this is a very peaceful place. Everyone took care of me. The guide was very professional. The walk is about 3 kilometers in the forest on a large path that can be muddy...but remember this is the Amazon basin not a paved path. The humidity destroys everything, so leave nature alone.

Room Tip: I had room # 2.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
4 Thank FloKnoxville_TN
Sugar Land, Texas
Reviewed April 3, 2012

We were a group of 16 and visited this place March 26-28, 2012. Except for the 3 km walk thro muddy trail (which was very difficult to walk) to get to the lodge, our experience has been wonderful. The facilities at the lodge were excellent and the staff went out of their way to serve us the best vegetarian food. The staff was very cooperative and helpful which made our stay a very pleasant experience. The boat tours on the lake with our guides, Javier and Pepe, to watch the giant otters, monkeys, macaws etc were wonderful.
-Navin Shah

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
4 Thank happycamperindian
jerusalem
Reviewed February 2, 2012

This was our 3rd Peruvian jungle experience and there's just no excuse for how unpleasant this lodge is.
The man who runs it always had a sour face and seemed unhappy to be bothered with guests.
The mosquito netting over our bed had little holes so that we barely slept due to sharing our bed with unwelcome critters.
We heard the conversations of our neighbors...even though there were only three rooms occupied and we could've been spread out more.
The room was smallish & a bit claustrophobic.
The food was virtually the same, untasty food all the time.
On the other hand, our guide, Javier, was very sweet, very knowledgeable and did everything he could to help us meet the best nature has to offer in the area. A wonderful half hour watching the giant otters frolicking is an experience we'll never forget!
Lots of monkeys at play.
Many birds.
P.s. Walking 3 kilometers in ankle high mud in hot, humid, buggy conditions doesn't make for happy campers. Dude! Raise those wooden stumps above the level of the mud!

Room Tip: Good luck! If there is such a thing as a good room here, we don't know about it.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
12 Thank ranchette7
rochester, ny
Reviewed November 5, 2011

After doing the 3 day Inca Trail Trek and river rafting in Cusco, coming to the Sandoval Lodge was icing on the cake. It is clean and the food was great. I was fortunate to have an informative and excellent guide and the people in my group were wonderful too. It was wonderful to relax on the hammocks during the late afternoon. The area is beautiful. This is what it is. It's not a Ritz or Hilton Hotel, but to me it was better. The staff was friendly and worked hard. I didn't notice the lack of privacy, but then I was by myself and don't recall it being noisy or disruptive. The lodge is a lodging, and the rooms are not honeymoon suites. I would not recommend for a romantic getaway. I would go back there again in a heartbeat and stay at the Lake Sandoval lodge. My biggest complaint was that I didn't have much of a third day as we had to leave very early due to loggers protests. I wish I had more time there.

Room Tip: You get what you get. You are there for the jungle not for Ritz accommodations.
  • Stayed April 2011, traveled solo
#2 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
Wasai Tambopata Lodge
#2 of 2 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Sandoval Lake Lodge? Share your experiences!