“Immaculate and comfortable facilities/cabanas, good food and manageable excursions into the amazon”
Review of Ecoamazonia Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Tambopata National Reserve
Ecoamazonia Lodge
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed March 26, 2012

Pros:
- quaint cabanas elevated off the ground with screens instead of windows, yet also have electricity, lighting, hot water, and outlets to provide a nice mix of natural setting and convenient amenities.
- has a nice central lodge with delicious, local cuisine, a bar and games
- frequent wildlife hang around the lodge and cabanas, especially colorful birds so nice photo ops
- really relaxing night cruise via motorized gondola down the madre del dios to look for cayman in the shores. It's pretty exciting to always be on the lookout, and in between you get a nice view of the stars
- I really liked the covered shelter facing the river with a bunch of hammocks in them. It was a great place to read a book or just take a nap
- the treks through the jungle were informative and fun. One really unique experience was going to the delta of a small tributary and bathing in the silt mud, whose minerals are supposed to be good for your skin. Between that, monkey island, and trekking through the jungle, you can feel really off the map despite only being 1 mile or two from the conveniences of the lodge

Cons:
- Mosquitos. I brought deet but it seemed like there were super mosquitos there' and i came back with about 36 red welts on my back. Just be careful about that
- they have a really modern looking indoor pool, but just know that the water was really cold even in august when I went. Nevertheless, it was really impressive to see an indoor pool in the middle o pf the amazon

Room Tip: I would get a cabana closer to edge of the property and closer to the jungle so you can wake up to t...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank Tommy F

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
  • Greek first
New York, NY
Reviewed March 1, 2012

The Eco-Amazonia lodge is located in the jungle near Puerto Maldonado. Note: the key word here is *jungle*. Excellent food, fun excursions, cold pool to help deal with the brutal heat make it worthwhile.

My wife and I arrived in Puerto Maldonado where we were driven from the airport to a building in town courtesy of the world's most uncomfortable bus. We were only allowed to bring PART of our luggage. We quickly repacked our bags for what we needed and the rest was left at the storage facility. From there, it was a 90 minute ride on an extremely uncomfortable motorized canoe down the Dio De Madres river to the lodge.

The lodge is large and sprawling. Guests stay in individual cabins, complete with indoor plumbing (thank god). The main building is where one takes meals, can get drinks at the bar when it is open and the only place to get clean water. We were greeted by the manager and given a rundown of what our activities were.

The first day was the best. We took a boat halfway across the river to what they called "Monkey Island". The owner of the resort rescues monkeys off the black market and brings them here. Their offspring are then released into the wild. We fed the monkey's bananas and one stole a water bottle hanging slightly out of the knapsack of a fellow traveler (unlike the experiences others had, we were strongly warned to prevent this from happening and the traveler was chided afterward by our guide). That night, we went out on the boat looking for camens.

Day two was an extremely long trek through the jungle starting at some ungodly hour of the morning. Our guide gave us details about the jungle, the animals in it and even at a worm! We spotted some wild monkeys, snakes and a wide variety of birds. I could have done without canoeing back 6 miles in stagnate water though!

Day three was a slower, relaxing day. We went swimming in a tributary of the river (some people went fishing, that's not my thing). Later, we went to a pond and saw more camen.

The food at the lodge was excellent, the best we had in Peru. The staff was extremely friendly, the water was always extremely cold and the set up really helps you bond with the people your grouped together with.

I do have some words of warning though: It is VERY hot. You only get a couple hours of electricity a day in which some poor, sad ceiling fans helplessly move around the hot muggy air. The excursions, especially the hike through the jungle, are extremely tiring. If you're not in reasonably decent shape, you should probably skip this. Remember, you are staying in the jungle, not a Hilton!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Atom H
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed January 7, 2012

We stayed at the Ecoamazonia Lodge with a group of friends in April. It is an interesting experience, but make sure you are prepared for what it entails. It was incredibly hot and muggy and there was no escape for relief. The eco lodge has no air conditioning and no fans, except for during a couple hours each evening in the bar (which had great cocktails, by the way). We were so hot that we would take freezing cold (which is the only water temperature available) showers, only to start sweating again in about 30 seconds. The lodge design was really interesting, but the open walls (rooms are open on one side to the jungle) made for an invitation for many insects. Beds have bug nets so the big ones stay out for the most part but some little ones find their way in.

We also felt pretty trapped/stranded. There isn't much to do except walk around in the jungle, which is interesting but not terribly active. They pretty much only offer variations of walking around in the jungle, which gets a bit old. There's looking at insects during the day, looking for monkeys (which is pretty cool!), birdwatching from a tall tower, jungle biking (which was kind of insane - the trail hadn't been cleared so we had to carry our bikes through the thick woods several times around fallen trees, etc.), nighttime boat trips to look for caymans (alligator-like creatures), a visit to a fruit farm across the river, and paddle out on a little lake. It sounds like there is a lot to offer but we felt as though we were hanging around without much to do. That said, we saw some pretty neat things - lots of insects, cicada nests that look oddly phallic, groups of monkeys, exotic birds (from a great distance), a big old tree in the woods, some caymans (only saw a couple small ones), butterflies, spiders, and an incredible long line of leaf-cutter ants.

We also had a pretty gross experience, which hopefully is a rarity but I have to mention it. When getting in bed the first night we noticed a lot of human hairs in our sheets, which had clearly not been changed. We told the manager about it and she had someone change them right away but she was not at all warm or apologetic. Overall, the staff didn't really seem to be there to make for an incredible experience for the guests. More so, it felt like they were camp counselors hanging out with one another and then taking you out for little "adventures" when they needed.

The food - pretty standard buffet style - was decent. They had some pretty good breakfast smoothies.

All that said, they have a pretty good operation in terms of transferring you from the airport, to the river, to the lodge, and back. Our guide, Andrea, was really friendly and knowledgeable, but we had some friends that had not such a great guide. (You have a dedicated guide that travels with you, takes you on the little excursions, and sits at your table during meals.)

We didn't have a very good experience here, but take it with a grain of salt if you know you are going to be really hot and somewhat uncomfortable and are the types to enjoy nature walks. We also went here right after an incredible Inca Trail trek to Macchu PIccu which is hard to beat. We live in NYC so are used to being able to roam so felt cooped up. We also like to be active. In hindsight, we might have considered going for like one day so we could see the jungle life, but it's a fairly long trip down the river (several hours each way), so might not be worth it for only a day.

I hope this is helpful - I don't mean to be one of those people that just complain about little nothings, but it's a very particular experience and you can't leave the resort. Send me a note if you have any questions!

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
9 Thank travelmonstertb
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed October 7, 2011

Ecoamazonia Lodge has good facilities - I wasn't expecting tepid hot water in the shower in the Amazon so I was pleasantly surprised with the strong water pressure. Staff are helpful and professional Food was delicious - although they could do a better job at covering breakfast items from food flies. Tour guides were very knowledgeable. If you have a chance to do the night time tour to look for caimans - it can turn into a spectacular "light and sound show" as you take in the lightning in the dark sky, while listening to the thousands of insect sounds of the jungle.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank Time T
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed September 20, 2011

My husband and I stayed at this lodge for 4 nights. We both thought that the lodge was great and gave us a great experience at the jungle! First of all, the bungalows are very clean, tidy, and spacious! I didn't expect that much cleanliness in the jungles to be honest. Our towels and bedsheets were changed after 2 or 3 nights, and we got a new bar of soap and shampoo every day. The resort itself was very well maintained and very beautiful to walk around. The food was very delicious every day! When I came there, I was sick, and so I asked the manager if I could be getting food with special diet requests. The manager was really great about it, every single meal, he made sure that I got my special diet. I didn't even have to ask him twice myself, he would come up to me first, and ask me what I wanted to eat for that meal. The excursions of the jungles were great too with very great and knowledgebale guides. We saw quite a bit. You do have a lot of free time though, so if you want an adventure with doing something 24/7, you might want to look for some other options, but after travelling in Peru for 2 weeks, we gladly took the more relaxed approach.
There are no hot showers in the bugalows though, but you don't really need it when its hot anyways. We met a lot of other travelers in that lodge and had a great fun!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Timeless_Explorer
Austin, Texas
Reviewed June 8, 2011

My sister and I stayed at the EcoAmazonia Lodge for 3 nights.
It was incredible, the food was delicious and our guide was EXTREMELY knowledgable.
We saw so many things thanks to him. Everybody there was very friendly and the place was very cared after. The bungalows were very comfortable, it made it hard to get up so early to do all the things we wanted to do!!
It's not luxury, but EcoAmazonia Lodge was a great experience and a wonderful way to see the jungle. You get your moneys worth here. I highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank LDumasius
Paris, France
Reviewed June 4, 2011

we have chose this lodge as the others we wanted were fully boked. our travel agent advised us that it was simple, but when we looked at the website it looked fine. The name "eco" is misleading and let think that this is an eco friendly concept. if just having light in the lodge (and the cabin) between 5pm and 10pm is eco friendly !!! for me it looks like more to be in a "jail". When not changing a white towel in 5 days - after having walked in the jungle and the mud is eco friendly .. for me is just stinginess. Let's talk now about the food !!! my boyfriend and myself are vegetarian. on the webiste they write that their chef are "experts" for veg.. mmm... yes they know how to boil vegetables and cook rice and omelet .. and yummy they serve bananas as desert. I needed to beg to get an extra small soap .. yes like in jail I presume. The only good point was the excursions and our guide Hans. We really enjoyed this part. We are used to lodge in Africa and were expecting this same nice atmosphere.. so we have been very very disappointed. the only good point is that it's not expensive ..

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
#4 of 57 in Puerto Maldonado
Monte Amazonico Lodge
Monte Amazonico Lodge
#11 of 57 in Puerto Maldonado

Been to Ecoamazonia Lodge? Share your experiences!