“Very intriguing”

Chuncho Macaw Clay Lick
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: This is the largest macaw clay lick on earth, hundreds of macaws and parrots gather toguether to eat clay every day, the 3 large speciesof psitacis present in Peru come to this place to eat clay, they love the sunny days but even in rainy days or cloudy, they will come, may not eat the clay but will alays go to this place so is easy to watch. This clay lick warrantys all the species of large macaws, there are other clay licks in the area, each one far away of each other. But , not all of them have the visit of the 3 large species of macaws and 11 more species of parrots. With not doubt this macaw clay lick is the best in the world to watch this unique natural show in the amazon jungle.
Reviewed June 22, 2013

If you can, try to go in a small group, as small as possible. I was in a group of 14, which with the two guides we may as well have been a troop of elephants stampeding. We saw many fresh tracks of interesting wildlife but we scared all of it before we got there. Our guides were still able to point out all the interesting tracks and identify them.

1  Thank Dylan R

Reviewed May 31, 2013

This trip was impressive seeing all of the colorful birds in the area descend on one place. I had binos so could see it but I would advise investing in a decent camera and zoom lens if you are doing this or any other Amazon wildlife watching.

Reviewed May 25, 2013

when i was in Tambopata National Reserve, i thow how amazing could be my trip away from the town watching bird especially macaws, large parrots, in the place clay lick know as " collpa" i been in cayman lodge, we get up earlier at 4:00 am and take to rich that marvellous place 3 hours at less, then you get out from the canoe, and walk by foot few minutes and the firth impretions is wao... you see many parrots and macaws flying arroung you. you must have binoculars. and camara all ready ready for take many pictures.
breakfast and then back, but if you decide stay over night you can doit previous coordination with your local operator. and your tour guide.

Reviewed April 9, 2013

We only had a 10-15 min trek to and from the Clay Lick so it wasn't far at all. I wasn't sure what to expect and we were advised we may have to wait an hour or two so was pleasantly surprised when 2 macaws arrived within 15-20 mins and, was very content to watch them. However we ended up being very lucky as soon after, more macaws arrived and then even more! We stayed for a good 70-80 mins and saw c 15 in total. I have never been bird-watching but it was very fascinating to watch them socialise - flying together, playing and fighting etc. I am also not a professional photographer and felt embarrassed I only had a digital camera unlike others in the group, but Robin helped me out and took some AMAZING photos for me. My friends are used to seeing me take a picture of half an object (lol!) so will easily guess I didn't take those photos - Muchas Gracias Robin :-),

Reviewed April 5, 2013

If you love parrots and macaws, this is the perfect place to come. Couldn't be better. You start off early in the morning so that you get there before the parrots and macaws. Then you watch them arrive in numbers! And hear them! The macaws take the high trees. the parrots go down to feed on the clay first and after awhile the macaws join them. There is a sea of colours and sounds. A perfect start to the day. i've never been so happy to get up at 4 am!