I can't say enough good things about the lodge and staff. It was EXACTLY what I had in mind when I selected an Eco-Lodge in the Amazon Jungle. I have attached a lot of photos simply because there just wasn't that great of information out there when I was trying to find info on this place. For anyone who is on the fence about whether to choose Wasai or not, GO FOR IT, you will not be disapointed and you might even have the time of your life!
We signed up for the 4/3 Amazon Adventure, but due to a delayed flight we ended up spending a night in Puerto Maldonado at their other lodge before heading off to Tambopata. Both locationd were amazingly accomodating making sure we still got to do the things we wanted even though we were short one day! We still managed to squeeze in everything without feeling rushed. The food was great with freshly prepared meals and fresh squeezed juices.
The weather was hot and humid but suprisingly comfortable. The showers are cold but refreshing after being sweaty and moving around all day. One of our highlights was our visit to the Chuncho Collpa. We saw an amazing display of Red/Green Macaws, Blue/Yellow macaws, toucans, green parrots, chestnut macaws and we were even lucky enough to see one pair of Scarlet Macaws! Super cool and our guide Sonja was knowledgable about the birds and helping us with where to stand/sit so we didn't disturb and scare the birds.
Besides the birds we saw several animals daily. While kayaking with our guide Esteban (Steven) we even saw a HUGE Caiman! In the daylight. We spend most of our time with Esteban and he was great. Very personable and funny. Knew his stuff and was always quick about spotting animals and insects when we were out and about on our hikes and river excurions. We also joined in on the adventure activities- about an hour hike from the lodge- where we ziplined, crossed a tight rope and then negotiated a rope bridge. These activities were moderatly hard but a lot of fun. Spent the last afternoon at the lodge literally walking through the jungle- looking at trees, spotting animals, etc.
Overall one of the neatest experiences of my life.
Hope this can offer some insight to any of you who are considering this lodge. I am more than happy to chat with anyone that has questions too! PM me!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- WASAI Tambopata Lodge is located in the heart of the amazon, approximately 50 Km. Away from Puerto Maldonado in a straight line, and approximately 120 Km. Up the river, in the heart of the Tambopata Candamo National Reserve, surrounded by National parks There are 20km of protected forest trails around the lodge, which enhances possibilities to see amazon wildlife. We can visit the local community of Baltimore and share the way of life and the natural beauty such as . The El Gato Waterfalls, and parrots and mammals clay licks . Fishing is also possible. Up-river from the lodge there are no more dwellings. The lack of people and the closeness to the Andes create an habitat with abundance of flora and fauna not seen in other areas of the amazon rainforest. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Travelocity, Orbitz, Expedia and Priceline so you can book your Wasai Tambopata Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Wasai Tambopata Hotel Tambopata National Reserve
- Wasai Tambopata Lodge Peru/Tambopata National Reserve