“Great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Tambopata Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tambopata National Reserve
Tambopata Ecolodge
Gold Coast
“Great fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 23, 2013

This place is a great way to experience the amazon. The lengthy motorised canoe ride into the jungle is actually really pleasant (and enjoy the breeze while you can!). Plenty of wildlife to be spotted along the way. The Lodge is really well set up! The cabins are very comfortable and clean. Be sure to lock away all foods/anything the smells - I had some jungle rats manage to chew through a bag =(with special any theft wire mesh stuff) to get at my pawpaw lip balm (I'd forgotten about it). The walks (especially the night ones) are great. I really enjoyed the nighttime canoe trip - was incredible! The guides are very good and extremely knowledgable, with excellent english. The food was good quality. But be prepared for the humidity! and bring plenty of bug spray! Overall a great (but surprisingly luxe) adventure!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank GoldCoastAA

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 2, 2013

We stayed last week for the 3 day/2 night program and thoroughly enjoyed our stayed. Our guide Joel was extremely knowledgable and could answer every question we had. He was also extremely patient and happy to wait when I spent half an hour trying to take a photo of a humming bird! The lodge is basic but was perfect for what we needed and it was good to have a break from technology. The food was delicious and varied. All the staff were very welcoming and keen to hear what we'd seen on each trip. Would definitely recommend!

• Stayed July 2013
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 13, 2013

Tambopata Eco Lodge is a great lodge set in the beauty of the Amazon jungle. We were met at the airport by our guide, Jose, and after meeting the rest of our group at Puerto Maldonado, we set off for our journey to the lodge and the Amazon jungle. Jose is a great guide, very knowledgeable about the flora and fauna of the area, and very personable with a great sense of humor. I learned a lot about the plants and the ways in which the locals use them. Jose and the other guides have eyes like hawks, being able to spot animals, even during the evening walk and evening boat ride, that I would never have imagined were there. Our group was lucky enough to even see monkeys during one of the walks. But the real appeal of being in the lodge was being able to experience the tropical rainforest, seeing plants and animals I had never seen before, hearing the animals that I was not able to see while relaxing in the bungalow. The food here is simply amazing, my favorite in Peru. And lots of food. You will not be hungry. You eat your meals with your guide and group members, hearing stories about the Amazon and the adventures of your fellow travelers, which I really enjoyed. Our bungalow is divided into two sections, so if you have noisy neighbors, you will be able to hear them. The guests who travel here seem to be respectful of the environment and the noise not was a problem during our stay, but it may be a good idea to bring earplugs just in case. As there is no electricity in the rooms, you may want to bringing a flashlight and extra batteries to supplement the candles that are provided in the room. The flashlights are very useful, too, during the night walk. There is a long staircase from the river to the lodge.

We traveled to Tambopata Eco Lodge at the end of May and the weather was very nice. Not too hot or humid, and there was little rain while we were there. I really enjoyed my stay here and would love to come back for a longer visit as I was only there for two nights. Visiting the clay licks is high on my list of places I would like to see. I definitely recommend staying here.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Raeney
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2013

We stayed a total of 2 nights with the Eco Lodge and 2 nights camping at the clay licks in June 2013. Edson was our guide and he was fantastic. He was excellent at spotting the wildlife and really catered the trip to what we were interested in. He went out of his way to find me a frog since I wanted to see one. The tents were very comfortable. The lodge rooms were great but they are duplexes and we had extremely loud neighbors the last night. The food is incredible. I really enjoyed everything we were served. The bar staff was friendly and helpful also. We saw a lot of wildlife both at the lodge, on the river, at the clay licks and at the camp grounds. I would definitely go back and would stay even longer.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Winter Park, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 6, 2013

This lodge is everything that they promised. It is secluded, rustic and a truly amazing experience. I would highly recommend requesting a small group and Hugo as your guide (he was amazing). The food is decent, they have filtered water on property and electricity for a few hours in the bar area to recharge your electronics. There is no electricity in your bungalow so I would recommend bringing a flash light if you have room in your luggage (a few candles will be provided for you). The staff is exceptional and they speak great english, so don't worry about not being able to understand your guide. Your bungalow has two rooms per area, so you may want to bring ear plugs in case you have noisy neighbors. The only thing that I was expecting more of was wildlife. We saw a few macaws, one sloth, one monkey, one anteater, lots of spiders, and a few cayman. The cayman are small so don't expect to come face to face with a large crocodile or a ton of monkeys. There is a small swimming creek so you may want to bring a swimming suit and definitely be prepared for rain (even in the dry season). Overall though, this was a great experience.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

To get to this lodge, we had to ride on a bumpy/dirt road where you can see some road construction was still going on (2 years+ according to Jose). Then there is about a 2 hr boat ride...which was actually refreshing. Jose found a spider and took a photo for us. He took really good care of us and he and his fellow guide (never found out how to spell his name - Hiemen(?)) were very solicitous. I am not into hiking really or boats but they made it fun and informative. Bring flashlights if you are afraid of the dark. They provide candles, but only electricity in main dining and lounge so if you can't really stand the dark - you will need one if only to make your way to the bathroom. Also you share cabins (split into 2 suites) so bring earplugs if you get noisier neighbors. Food was really good. Coffee was great though I had it on the last day. We didn't see as many animals but Jose was realistic - as the time we went is not the best time to see all the animals anyway. I was actually quite glad not to see snakes and what-not. We saw vultures, monkeys (so cute), capybahrs which were so cute too and raccoon like ringtale cooti (?) and some other cute furry things in addition to big tarantulas. Tato always greeted us with hola (He's a rescued Scarlet macaw) and there was a blue/yellow one hanging around as well as a green yellow one who laughed all the time. Lucy and staff were sweet and great and Jose was our #1 guide. He took pictures for me because I was not feeling that well and was taking a vacation from my vacation. He was very knowledgeable about plants and insects and animals there. We even got to the 'farm' where we got to taste fresh produce and sugar canes/bananas. I probably wouldn't mind going back...but with extra strength bug-repellant. Jose was not the best artist so I don't think I'd ever let him paint with the purple plant like he did my friend and fellow travelers even if it was insect repellant.

Room Tip: Bring torches or rent them for quick bathroom runs at night - it gets very dark. Pack what you need...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mayura
Yucaipa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at Tambopata for 2 nights/3 days last week and had a great experience. Our guide, Leao, was fantastic. Those guides bust their humps to insure that you are well taken care of and have the best experience possible. Since we weren't able to find sandals for the shower, or rain ponchos before arriving in Puerto, our guide stopped in the market area and found them for us. Leao's well trained eyes never missed a thing... amazing how he saw things we'd have surely missed. My only complaint was the time we spent in the Puerto Maldonado office waiting for the other guests planes to arrive. We got there first and lost most of the first day sitting around. By the time we got to the lodge, we only had about an hour of daylight left. The last day, is all packing, and traveling back to Puerto Maldonado. So in reality, we had only one full day and 2 full nights. I would suggest staying longer to really delve into the experience of the Amazon. The food was the best we'd had in our 2 week stay on Peru, and the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing (unlike the city life in Peru) I am very high maintenance... I like my hair dryer, my curling iron, and make up... I wasn't sure if I could endure without electricity for 3 days.. I did, and it was great. We had comfortable beds, hot water, and good food...sometimes by candlelight, cause the generators weren't working. We went to sleep and woke up by the sounds of the jungle wildlife. We saw amazing insects, and animals, and even had a pet Lemur-type baby who adopted us for the stay. He was friendly, funny, and playful..he made our trip a blast. There was a tiny abandoned Capuchin monkey running around, who entertained us with his antics. It was extremely hot and humid and the mosquitos were out in force..bring a high quality, 40% or higher Deet insect repellant. My husband used a 98% and was not bit at all.. I used 40% and got bit in strange places (LOL) they bite through your clothes! Got my butt. So, I walked around scratching my bum for 3 days.. not pretty! Other's were not so lucky..eaten alive bc they did not have the proper attire nor repellant. Take precautions for malaria and dengue too.. get on meds a fews days prior and do not scratch bites. My only other complaint was about fellow guests... we were the only ones who tipped the guide at the end of the stay..he deserved it, and I was embarrassed that other's did not give him his just due. Also, Smokers!! COME ON people! Stay away from guest gathering areas! Smokers would sit right outside the dining hall, and lounge areas..the walls are screen and smoke came right in. Have some consideration for fellow non-smoking guests! All in all.. we loved the Amazon, loved Tambopata. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
#1 of 2 in Tambopata National Reserve
Tres Chimbadas Lake Lodge
Tres Chimbadas Lake Lodge
#6 of 22 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Tambopata Ecolodge? Share your experiences!