“Amazing Service and Care”
Review of Tambopata Ecolodge

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Tambopata National Reserve
Tambopata Ecolodge
New York City, New York
“Amazing Service and Care”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

To get to this lodge, we had to ride on a bumpy/dirt road where you can see some road construction was still going on (2 years+ according to Jose). Then there is about a 2 hr boat ride...which was actually refreshing. Jose found a spider and took a photo for us. He took really good care of us and he and his fellow guide (never found out how to spell his name - Hiemen(?)) were very solicitous. I am not into hiking really or boats but they made it fun and informative. Bring flashlights if you are afraid of the dark. They provide candles, but only electricity in main dining and lounge so if you can't really stand the dark - you will need one if only to make your way to the bathroom. Also you share cabins (split into 2 suites) so bring earplugs if you get noisier neighbors. Food was really good. Coffee was great though I had it on the last day. We didn't see as many animals but Jose was realistic - as the time we went is not the best time to see all the animals anyway. I was actually quite glad not to see snakes and what-not. We saw vultures, monkeys (so cute), capybahrs which were so cute too and raccoon like ringtale cooti (?) and some other cute furry things in addition to big tarantulas. Tato always greeted us with hola (He's a rescued Scarlet macaw) and there was a blue/yellow one hanging around as well as a green yellow one who laughed all the time. Lucy and staff were sweet and great and Jose was our #1 guide. He took pictures for me because I was not feeling that well and was taking a vacation from my vacation. He was very knowledgeable about plants and insects and animals there. We even got to the 'farm' where we got to taste fresh produce and sugar canes/bananas. I probably wouldn't mind going back...but with extra strength bug-repellant. Jose was not the best artist so I don't think I'd ever let him paint with the purple plant like he did my friend and fellow travelers even if it was insect repellant.

Room Tip: Bring torches or rent them for quick bathroom runs at night - it gets very dark. Pack what you need...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Mayura

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
Yucaipa
Reviewed May 13, 2013

We stayed at Tambopata for 2 nights/3 days last week and had a great experience. Our guide, Leao, was fantastic. Those guides bust their humps to insure that you are well taken care of and have the best experience possible. Since we weren't able to find sandals for the shower, or rain ponchos before arriving in Puerto, our guide stopped in the market area and found them for us. Leao's well trained eyes never missed a thing... amazing how he saw things we'd have surely missed. My only complaint was the time we spent in the Puerto Maldonado office waiting for the other guests planes to arrive. We got there first and lost most of the first day sitting around. By the time we got to the lodge, we only had about an hour of daylight left. The last day, is all packing, and traveling back to Puerto Maldonado. So in reality, we had only one full day and 2 full nights. I would suggest staying longer to really delve into the experience of the Amazon. The food was the best we'd had in our 2 week stay on Peru, and the atmosphere was quiet and relaxing (unlike the city life in Peru) I am very high maintenance... I like my hair dryer, my curling iron, and make up... I wasn't sure if I could endure without electricity for 3 days.. I did, and it was great. We had comfortable beds, hot water, and good food...sometimes by candlelight, cause the generators weren't working. We went to sleep and woke up by the sounds of the jungle wildlife. We saw amazing insects, and animals, and even had a pet Lemur-type baby who adopted us for the stay. He was friendly, funny, and playful..he made our trip a blast. There was a tiny abandoned Capuchin monkey running around, who entertained us with his antics. It was extremely hot and humid and the mosquitos were out in force..bring a high quality, 40% or higher Deet insect repellant. My husband used a 98% and was not bit at all.. I used 40% and got bit in strange places (LOL) they bite through your clothes! Got my butt. So, I walked around scratching my bum for 3 days.. not pretty! Other's were not so lucky..eaten alive bc they did not have the proper attire nor repellant. Take precautions for malaria and dengue too.. get on meds a fews days prior and do not scratch bites. My only other complaint was about fellow guests... we were the only ones who tipped the guide at the end of the stay..he deserved it, and I was embarrassed that other's did not give him his just due. Also, Smokers!! COME ON people! Stay away from guest gathering areas! Smokers would sit right outside the dining hall, and lounge areas..the walls are screen and smoke came right in. Have some consideration for fellow non-smoking guests! All in all.. we loved the Amazon, loved Tambopata. Highly recommend it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank gingilady
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 10, 2013

This lodge is a bit of a trek to get to (1 hour bus ride on a bad road / dirt track + 2 hour boat journey) but you have to remember that you are travelling into the jungle with the aim of seeing wildlife! The animals are not going to be sitting at the edge of the nearest town waiting for you...

The Guides (Jose & Edwin): 10/10 - they were super enthusiastic the whole way through the trip. There was quite a mixed group of ages and abilities on the trip and they took such care and attention with the older / less fit members of the group. They even cut walking sticks for us when we were trekking through sticky mud. Jose, in particular, had eagle eyes, spotting all kinds of animals from across the river bank and guiding us to them.

The Accommodation: Again, here you need to bear in mind that you are in a remote part of the jungle. There was no electricity in the cabins, so bring a torch, but there were plenty of candles and stands provided. Anyway, we didn't spend much time in the cabin apart from to sleep so we didn't really notice this. The accommodation itself was of a very high standard in my opinion, better than some of the city hotels in Peru! Beds were clean and comfortable, the room was cool and bug free (as long as you kept the door closed!) and the water was hot.

The Food: Super, and even more impressive when you realise all cooked in the limited time that the generator was running during the day. Great variety and very tasty.

The Wildlife: we saw so much on this trip and the guides were great at teaching us about the animals and insects. To list a few of the highlights: macaws, cayman, tarantulas, howler monkeys (if you are a light sleeper, these guys will not be your friend), a rainbow boa, humming birds, countless insects and then we also learned so much about the plants and trees in the area too

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank AG018
Perth, Australia
Reviewed April 28, 2013

Two and a bit hours up-river from Puerto Maldonado in the Madre de Dios region of Peru, Tambopata Eco Lodge is a great way to experience a little of the Amazon basin. Although mostly targeted towards groups, we travelled as a couple and fitted in well.
From when your plane arrives, until you check in for the return journey, the staff and guides look after you very well. They have the routine worked out to the last detail, although everything seems pretty relaxed and you don't seem to notice.
Airport pickups, boat trips, night walks, all meals... everything works to a schedule. All of the other reviews here are pretty accurate so read them and you will know what to expect. Travel light, don't expect to read after 10pm when the power goes off, and plan to rise early to beat the heat. And yes, there is wildlife, but no room service, no wifi, and it's not easy to charge electronic devices.

Room Tip: Visit their website before you go - it tells you what you should bring. As to Puerto Maldonado airp...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rickbarrett
Bristol, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 28, 2013

We stayed at the Lodge as part of a G Adventures Andes to Amazon visit.

We were pretty tired after walking the Inca Trail, so our visit to the lodge was just the ticket.

The boat ride in from Puero Maldonaldo was lovely and we had a brilliant guide Hugo, funny but very knowledgeable. The lodge and room were lovely. A big very comfortable Queen sized bed was just what we needed. We both slept so well. It was amazing to listen to the jungle come alive in the morning. Shower was excellent. It was actually nice not to have electricity. There is 4 hours of electricity in the evening in the main bar area if you need to recharge your Kindle.

Food was excellent, fresh and local. The drinks were very reasonable bearing in mind you are out in the bush.

Sadly we didnt see as much wildlife as we were expecting during our visit,... think we were unlucky.. and its not the lodges fault. We did the night walk and saw Spider and snake, absolutely amazing,( and I am scared silly of snakes.. ).

Staff were excellent very friendly,.. we could have done with a few more days to unwind more here,... it was relaxed and the rooms brilliant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Signaller21
Scotland
Reviewed March 11, 2013

We stayed here in March 2013 as part of a g adventures tour. The rooms are lovely, however they do have an open plan roof so noise from next door could be an issue. There is alot of trails around the lodge with plenty of wildlife to spot (our highlight being a jaguar). The food is also good and the 2 hour boat journey from puerto maldonado is relaxing. Our favourite part of the day was coming back to the hammock in our balcony.

All in all I would definetly recommend this place for a relaxing and interesting trip into the jungle.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank EMcCScotland
Uk
Reviewed January 1, 2013

We stayed here for two nights as part of our tour of Peru and the rooms are really nice but very open quiet a few in our group experienced rats in their rooms at night but we dsid not have this problem.I did expect to see more wildlife than we actually saw but we did see a lot of very interesting trees we visited oxbo lake which I did not think too much of.We did a night boat ride on the Amazon and sa w just a few baby crocodiles it was a bit disappointing but that is nature for you.The food at the lodge was buffet style and very average

Room Tip: Do not take food to the rooms as it encourages rats
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
#2 of 2 in Tambopata National Reserve
Tres Chimbadas Lake Lodge
Tres Chimbadas Lake Lodge
#6 of 21 in Tambopata National Reserve

Been to Tambopata Ecolodge? Share your experiences!