“Poor service”

Hotel Tres Puntas
Ranked #3 of 3 Hotels in Valle Nevado
“Poor service”
Reviewed August 23, 2012

From the worst check in service I have ever encountered to overpriced experience. Having travelled extensively throughout Chile and overseas, I can't recall as bad a service as at Htl Tres Puntas. Great skiing although!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Ibleon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed August 18, 2012

Not going back. The people in the room close to ours were noisy and we could hear everything. We tried to complain, but the receptionist did not help. They were also smoking all the time and the hall smelled very bad. The maintenance was horrible and I felt like I was in a very old hotel. We lost power one night and got stuck in the elevator for more than 15 minutes. When we were checking out, the discount was wrong and they couldn’t fix it in the computer. If we hadn’t seen, they would have charged us at least 20 extra dollars. I imagine how many people didn’t see that.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank EstelaGurgel

Travelers are raving about these Valle Nevado hotels

Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Reviewed August 10, 2012

First of all I would like to congrats the cleanliness and the room service of this hotel, it as really nice. Some comments that I'm a little disapointed you can find below:
- No wi-fi service inside the rooms (even hostels have this kind of service)
- Room temperature equipment is not working fine (in my room and in a friend's room)
- When we call the operator, they give you some information just for you stop calling. For exemple, I needed a whash machine service, they said they were sending someone, but no one came, then I just give up trying.
- Rooms are very small.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
2 Thank Thiago A
Lowell, Massachusetts, Usa
Reviewed August 9, 2012

As I read plenty of reviews before traveling, I knew there was a bar in this hotel that plays music until late, we would be required to pay for drinks and tips (though only 10% is viewed as a good tip, not the standard 15-20% for the US) even with the "included" dinner, and that check in and out could be hectic if you arrived at the time that most transfers arrive, which is on Fridays. Knowing all of that and expecting those extras to be at resort prices, we rented a car, as we expected to do some sight seeing after leaving Valle Nevado, so we stopped at a grocery store for LOTS of water, some snacks, and some delicious Chilean wine, and we didn't overindulge on expensive drinks at dinner. The internet access was a bit difficult and slow, and the cyber cafes were always full, though I did get on once a day over at Puerta del Sol where several computers are available (as compared to two at Tres Puntas). Biggest warning: apparently it is customary to let children run amuck with no parental supervision, which can be especially annoying on the computers, and also, no one (not even adults) seems to respect the idea of waiting your turn anywhere as lines were completely disregarded, regardless of nationality! Other than that, snowboarding when it's summer at home is certainly the biggest treat and a lifelong dream, even if they were having a drought.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kimberlybuehrle
Surrey, Canada
Reviewed June 14, 2012 via mobile

Attempting to fulfil a life long dream of skiing in Chile, we booked in here on their 3 day (+ one free bonus ski day) and 3 night package. The cost was outrageous $2070 USD for two - all inclusive of 2 meals, lifts and lodging.

When we arrived to the room , we discovered we had been given a tiny student room that was circa 1970's. To make matters worse, we were given two doubles when we asked for a king. Their solution? Push the beds together! I understand mistakes can occur, but at these prices it's simply inexcusable.

On the positive, the food was plentiful and of reasonable quality. We did also get a free wine tasting on the deck of Puerta del Sol next door which was a unique experience.

However, the price was completely disproportionate to what you receive. We will never return.

If you are a serious skier, and are interested in skiing here, I would suggest you visit on one of the day trips from Santiago on Ski Total - a company that offers daily bus service up to the hill. This way , you can experience both Valle Nevado and Portillo in one trip. There is not enough skiing here to sustain a serious skier for several days without it getting repetitive.

I never thought that I would feel that Aspen Colorado or Les Trois Vallees in France would offer great value for money.

Compared to this place, it's a steal.

• Stayed August 2011
6 Thank W0rld_Traveller_73
Asuncion
Reviewed May 31, 2010

I was extremely excited for my chile ski trip, not having been to the mountains after my snow bum season at telluride Colorado. So after shelling out good dollars for a 3 night / 4 day stay at Valle I expected good service and rooms. Getting to the hotel and valle nevado was extremely difficult and the hotel does not offer refunds for missed days, even if the road is closed by avalanche which was my case. After my adventure trying to get to Valle, I was very disappointed with my room. The double bed for my girlfriend and I turned out to be two twin beds put together, not very romantic. And I found hairs, seemed to be pubic in the bathroom counter near the drinking cup. My missed day due to avalanche closure of the road was not refunded, but they gave me a credit which I used to rent equipment, gave my girlfriend a lesson, and bought close at the ski shop. The credit went fast but at least they didn’t just take it as the hotel attendant had said they would over the phone, when I couldn’t get to the hotel, because the road was not officially closed despite various cars being abandoned on the road up, and other submerged by the avalanche.

To check out, everybody comes in and out the same day, stupid arrangement so that you can only buy 3,4 days or full week packages, with only 2 check in / checkout days in the week. So imagine 100 people trying to check out at the same time, and complaining of mysterious charges. They recommend people check out the night before leaving, but that did not help alleviate the crowds, and it took me over an hour to get checked out. Not something unexpected as to put something on your tab all you need to do is give your room number, which I’m sure some people abuse putting charges on other peoples tab. Also the hotel did not have available an upgrade to my ticket which includes the other mountains of La Parva and el Colorado, a big disappointment as I wanted to explore all three mountains. In my powder frenzy I mistakenly wandered into El Colorado, the lift operator came to help me when I was looking at Valle Nevado map looking lost, and he warned me that I must leave or he would have to fine me, getting back was a pain in the powder. Lifts at Valle are primitive, one high speed quad, and much of the best terrain is only accessible by t-bar, which kills your legs after one lift on a snowboard.

The best part of the hotel was being within a 2 minute walk to the slopes. The included dinners were good, but you have to reserve this before hand within 15minutes or suffer not eating. This does not fit with my style of being spontaneous especially when on vacation skiing. Also tips are expected on top of the extremely inflated menu prices and drinks are not included and pretty expensive. The food was pretty good, not excellent, but the ambiance and service was pretty good. Of my 4 days I expected at valle, I lost 2 days trying to get to the mountain, one good powder day, and one overcast day beyond use with no trees or other point of reference it was like snowboarding blind.

The hot tub available at the other hotel is really inconvenient, no changing rooms nearby and very icy. Overall not worth the money, go to Colorado and ski real mountains and get good service.

Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
8 Thank dabrigger
new york city
Reviewed September 23, 2009

After reading the reviews I knew what to expect and was pleasently suprised I had a good time. Yes, the service is slower than what I (New Yorker) expect, but consider there is usually only one front desk staff member checking in, checking out, answering phones, answering questions, I fee sorry for them. Breakfast and dinner is good (meal plan) but make sure you also try the other hotel restaurants (buffet style). This hotel seems older than the others, so take that into account. The main purpose of the trip was skiing and we had excellent weather. Clear blue skies the whole week. No fresh powder, but hey better than rain or fog. The mountain is big if you look at it from a half full glass point of view. Yes, they only have limited groomed trails, but everthing else is open. No trees, just the entire side of the mountain. Just be careful to not ski beyond the hotels otherwise you will end up next to the road and have to hitchhike back up. Also the higher elevations are serviced by J bars only and if you fall off, it's not so easy to ski off, you have to hike up to get into a path so not to knock the people behind you down. By the 4th run, my inner thighs were so tired from the J bar I rather ski the lower mountains.

• Stayed September 2009
Chalet Valluga
#1 of 4 in Farellones
Radisson Blu Santiago La Dehesa
Ibis Santiago Manquehue Norte

Been to Hotel Tres Puntas? Share your experiences!