“Ritoque Expediciones Spring Break!!!”

Ritoque Expeditions
Ranked #3 of 11 things to do in Concon
More attraction details
Owner description: Ritoque Expediciones arose from the efforts of Sebastian Lara, horse breeder for all his life, and Maria Elena Rodriguez, dedicated to Pubic Relations, as a way to keep their way of living next to horses and nature and sharing this experience with people.Our objective is to allow Chileans and foreigners to enjoy outstanding nature locations. Our aim in each one of our trips is that our clients get to know as well as possible the flora, fauna and culture of the places that we visit. Our clients will, comfortably and safely, make a special connection with the people and nature of the area.We are part of the Guía de Turismo Rural (Countryside Tourism Guide) of the V region of Chile, supported by Sernatur (Nacional Tourism Service) since 2005; and we received the prize “Premio Sernatur a la Gestión Emprendimiento Turístico 2006”.We are located 3 kilometers north from Concón, on the highway to Quintero. Only 30 kilometres north from Valparaíso, and only two hours from SantiagoRitoque Expediciones nace hace 8 años de la inquietud de Sebastián Lara y María Elena Rodríguez, por mantener un estilo de vida cercano a la naturaleza y los animales. Y compartirla con quienes estuvieran interesados en vivir una experiencia cercana a la vida de naturaleza. Nuestra misión es que chilenos y extranjeros puedan disfrutar de lugares de naturaleza exuberantes en belleza y quietud. Compartimos nuestra forma de cocina, que se caracteriza por comida chilena, generalmente asados siempre alrededor de una gran fogata! Trabajamos con grupos de diverso tamaño, montados sobre un caballo, según se requiera. Organizamos eventos al aire libre, ofreciendo servicio de comidas que montamos en el lugar de la actividad, ya sea en medio de las dunas o a orillas del Estero Mantagua, etc..Generalmente contamos con guías bilingües inglés – español que acompañan a nuestros clientes durante el recorrido. Formamos parte de la Guía de Turismo Rural de la V Región, apoyados por Sernatur desde el 2005 hasta la fecha y recibimos el Premio Sernatur a la Gestión y Emprendimiento Turístico 2006.
Reviewed March 15, 2013

Holy crap! This was probably the funnest day i have ever had in south america out of my entire 9 months studying here. Did the full day trek with 3 of my friends and we had absolutely the best time ever hands down. So much hard core rising not just the "follow in a line walking" type of horse trek. Went over sand dunes, through a couple of feet of water, and ran around in the ocean with our horses. We could go as fast or as slow as we wanted to almost the entire time. the horses are so well trained that little to no prior riding is needed. But it isnt for the faint of heart. One of my friends was very scared of horses, she that it would just be walking and pretty easy so she had a hard time at first but still liked it over all. The Asado (BBQ) lunch was amazing in the snad dunes, the first was so fresh and the meat was perfectly cooked. They even have a vegetarian option with vegie tacos and potatoe salad and rice. We even had freshly picked corn and black berried from the ride to the dunes. The people are friendly and helpful, and amazingly fast at emailing you back, usually within the same day, or hour like they did with me. My favorite part was that the guide actually raced us down the beach at a full spring! YOU HAVE TO DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!

Ritoque E, Propietario at Ritoque Expeditions, responded to this reviewResponded March 22, 2013

Thank you so so so much for all your words, it is so wonderfull when people takes their own time to feed us back ! It so helpfull to us to know we are doing things right and we hope to continue making riders happy for one dune day!!!

Thank you again!

Reviewed January 28, 2013

We have just returned to Santiago following a completely magical 3-hour ride with Ritoque Expeditions. Everything about the experience was wonderful; from the swift response to my email enquiry via their website, to numerous additional emails patiently giving me answers to all my queries; from being collected from the bus stop bang on time (unheard of in South America!), to the warm reception from a multitude of farm animals on arrival; from the beautiful and expertly trained horses to the breathtaking scenery.

Not only did I get to fulfil a lifetime's dream by galloping along a wide, sandy, deserted beach :-), but my partner, who has only ever ridden twice in his life, felt brave enough to do the same! This was much to do with the confidence he had in his horse who had been selected especially for a novice and to Sebastian's encouragement and guidance.

This was one of only a very small handful of times that, on a guided ride like this, I have actually felt that I am riding the horse, rather than just sitting on top of a horse who has no interest in doing anything other than following a set trail and the bum of the horse infront! This couldn't have been more different. We waded through lakes, scaled majestic sand dunes and splashed though waves on the beach, stopping for a short water and melon break along the way.

I cannot over-emphasise how fantastic everything on our Ritoque Expedition was. I actually don't think they charge nearly enough for what they offer (I paid more for a 2-hour ride in Bariloche which wasn't even half as good); this has got to be the best value riding experience I have ever had. I whole-heartedly and unreservedly recommend them. Whether you are a complete beginner, like my partner, or someone who has ridden quite a lot before, like me, they will cater to your needs.

So, those are all the positives, now for the only negative........I'm saddle sore!!! :-)

Thank you so much Sebastian and Marie Elena for a day we will remember for a very long time.

(For anyone staying in Santiago, it's really easy to get the bus out to Concon - takes about 2 hours and costs about £5.50, so don't let that put you off).

Reviewed October 22, 2012

Wow! We are a family of 5 traveling in South America while homeschooling our kids. We decided to surprise them with a "field trip". They came up with all kinds of guesses but they all said that this adventure was better than anything they could have imagined! We had two guides, Jose and Rose, who were each both absolutely wonderful and competent. Our asado was prepared by Marina who makes the best Pisco Sours! The lunch in the forest was far beyond our expectations. The scenery of the Ritoque full-day ride is stunning from start to finish with forest, dunes and beaches. This will be a day our family will never forget! Thank you Maria Elena!

1  Thank Rachel C
Reviewed September 28, 2012

I went riding with Ritoque in April 2011 and had an amazing time. My extended family owns a horse trekking ranch in NZ and this place rivalled home for me. The varied locations are gorgeous, the guides (although they speak very limited English) are friendly and helpful, the horses are well trained. I went with two friends who'd never ridden and even they relaxed into it as the horses took their fear in stride.

There was room for slow walking as a group and on the way back you got to let loose (if that was appropriate to your comfort level) and go for a canter or even gallop down the beach. I advise you to go in the evening as the sunset riding along the beach was just glorious.

The hospitality of the owner when we returned from our ride was lovely as we shared a cup of tea while waiting for our taxi. Well well, worth the visit.

Reviewed April 23, 2012

My son and I were picked up in Concon, Chile and taken to the farm where you pick up the horses. You are offered tea and coffee and take a look at the chickens and boers, the duck that think he's a dog and all the dogs and cats. They give you chaps to wear and then on the horses for a good 2 to 3 hour ride on the beaches and through the dunes. The pet dogs accompanied us and so did a foal who nobody was riding but was just along for the trip. A little walking, trotting and galloping. It didn't matter if you had no experience. Then back to the farm for aan excellent bbq of steak ,pork and chorizo accompanied by rice, potato salad and i think tomatoes. The owners seem to speak all sorts of languages including English and French. They are very welcoming. Definitely worth the time and money!