“Fantastic Hotel, But Most Staff Were Indifferent”

Radisson Acqua Hotel & Spa Concon
Ranked #1 of 8 Hotels in Concon
Edmonton, Canada
“Fantastic Hotel, But Most Staff Were Indifferent”
Reviewed March 2, 2011

First of all I am writing my reviews for our South America trip late. We stayed at this hotel the last week in November for 3 nights. I will write about the positives first and there are many. The location is breathtaking with the sea right out your window and the sounds of the ocean with the windows opened. Sleeping to the sounds of the sea is very relaxing. I will post pictures as we booked an ocean view room with a king bed. We actually liked the layout of the room as it is very different from most hotels. Did not find the room too small and the bathroom was a generous size for the room. This hotel is all about the room and the location of the hotel. If seas views matter to you and being away from Vina del Mar then this is your choice. A car is a necessity and we didn't mind driving to Vina del Mar for dinner at all.

Housekeeping was excellent each day, the room was very clean. Maintenance was quick to respond also, as one morning we awoke to "no water". You read it right, not no hot water but no water at all. When I called the front desk, Maintenance was at our door within minutes and the problem was solved. Also there is no air conditioning at this hotel so if that is required, you better look elsewhere. This might be a concern in the summer.

The negatives would have to be the staff at the hotel. The members at reception when checking in and checking out were completely indifferent to providing a warm welcome or departure or information for that matter. I almost felt like I was bothering them. The second disappointment was the breakfast room. Again, the staff were just going through their paces. Coffee had to be requested when pots were empty, and there were others issues also. The breakfast for a Radisson was just o.k., certainly nothing special. In addition, the pool was out of order while we visited but this was not a concern for us. Wifi was not available in the room which may be an inconvenience to some.

On the whole, I would return to the hotel and recommend it simply because I was there for a clean room, comfortable bed, with spectacular views and not to befriend the staff. I think however (all joking aside) that management needs to address the service provided by its staff members.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
2 Thank flymeaway2

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Palm Beach Florida
Reviewed February 13, 2011

I loved this South Pacific gem. The hotel is great but the staff is what made it amazing. So helpful and genuinely caring. Do not agree at all with Jenifer47, met Christofer and he was most helpful. The rooms were a little small but quite average for a boutique hotel. I absolutely loved the indoor pool!!!!!!!!!! Craved into the rock, amazing!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed January 6, 2011

We stayed at this hotel for 4 nights in December 2010. We upgraded to the best suite upon arrival for an extra $80 a night as we felt the rooms were just too small. From day one we complained about the shower no hot water and no pressure (so little pressue that you could not wah your hair). Each day we were told a new story and felt that the staff actually thought we were making a mountain out of a molehill. Finally on day 3 a maintenance man said that valves had been blown and that it could only be fixed by knocking out the wall!!!!! We were not offered an alternative and there was no bath in the room. Upon checking out we were told that they would knock of one nights upgarde cost a mere $80!!!!! When I asked if that was a joke he mumbled and said no I am right and did not charge us for the upgrade. However their blurb says if you complain and the problem is not resolved you do not pay - guaranteed!!!! Guess that is just a slogan and not something they take seriously. The spansih spekaing staff were as helpful as they could be but Christoper (the english speaker) was condensending unhelpful and arrogant. He even said that he had checked it and it semmed fine - blatant lie as it NEVER worked and the maintenance man verified as much. Not happy and will never return. Also a very strange tiny business centre tucked away on a mezzanine level and a gym in a tiny room with not much too offer!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank jenifer47
San Francisco, CA
Reviewed December 4, 2010

Beautiful hotel. All rooms on water. Excellent staff. Wifi in room. Spent 2 nights here before a cruise. Only shortfall is the dining room food. Appetizers ok but fish overcooked. Not a well executed menu.
Roof pool area closed as we were before the summer season.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple
Anchorage, Alaska
Reviewed November 18, 2010

I was driving up the coast and came across this hotel by accident. Stopped in to see if they had a room for one night. They did but it was their last room at a very good price. I figured I'd have a view of the parking lot. To my absolute delight I walked into a lovely room with a king size bed and a patio with an ocean view! I loved leaving the sliding door open and listening to the waves crash on the rocks. The room was very clean. You must use your room key to activate the lights in the room or they go out. Keeps people from leaving lights on.

The hotel restaurant was WONDERFUL...the food, the service. If you're in a hurry you won't be happy with the wait time, but the food is absolutely worth the wait!

The front desk staff was wonderful and so helpful. Wish I could stay longer. What a gem to find by accident! The nicest beach front hotel I've ever had the pleasure to stay!

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Victoria, Canada
Reviewed September 12, 2010

My colleague and I stayed here for nearly a week on a business trip. We felt as though we were stuck in the middle of nowhere as there were few restaurants nearby. The food in the hotel restaurant but service was soooo slow we would schedule two hours to eat a meal.

The Internet was terrible and would work for about 20 minutes a day for the first couple days. As we were there for business, this was critical. We went to check out the "business
centre" which turned out to be two
old computers on a desk in a dark
mezzanine next to the rooftop
patio. There were no monitors for
the computers until some were brought up for us. The USB ports were disabled so we couldn't access files on our memory sticks.

There are no ice machines, corkscrews or bottle openers available for guests.

There was no temperature controls in the room except a dial on a radiator that barely worked.

The rooms were tiny and the set-up was strange.

The restaurant would open and close by it's set hours which were inconvenient.

We rarely ever had the coffee replaced in our rooms which is about the only service I actually wanted.

The view however is spectacular. If you want to check into a place and relax and forget about the world this would probably be a good hotel.

The underground parking lot was closed which we assume was due to earthquake damage.

Bar service was very slow. I was able to get about one drink per hour when there were only about 5 people in the bar and the restaurant was closed.

• Stayed September 2010
Portland, Oregon
Reviewed May 17, 2010

What a GREAT,COOL spot in Concon! I've been a travel agent for nearly 20 years and I must say--Take a quick ride on the acensor in Valpariso--Drive up past Vina Del Mar and check into the Radisson Acqua. By Radisson standards it's a small, boutique style hotel but with a decided "edge"! The rooms, with large opening windows, all face the Pacific Ocean with a view to the south of Vina Del Mar. Do eat at the Hotel's Restaurant. Great food and a very nice wine list along with an excellent wait staff. In and around the Radisson Concon drive up the coastline to the small, bayside enclave of Zapallar--Chile's version of Carmel-by -the-sea. Great bayside restaurants and a great place for a swim in the ocean. Also inland to the Casablanca Valley for tastes at William Cole Vineyards and Veramonte. The staff there will help You find Casa Botha. Built by David Botha, of South Africa, and His wife Carmen, You will have an incredible meal of Northern Italian Origin. Carmen was born and raised in the Alto Adige area of northern Italy and has incredible culinery capabilities. The Blue cheese Gnocchi was incredible paired with David's choice of Casablanca Valley wine. The Raddison Acqua is truly one of the coolest hotels I've had the pleasure of experiencing in My travel's throughout the world. Gracias!

Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mundaca97027
Also consider these accommodations in or near Concon
Sheraton Miramar Hotel & Convention Center
Bahia Bonita Apart Hotel
Bahia Bonita Apart Hotel
#18 of 49 in Vina del Mar
Hotel del Mar - Enjoy Vina del Mar - Casino & Resort

Been to Radisson Acqua Hotel & Spa Concon? Share your experiences!