“You Can't Go Wrong With Pousada Ecoverde”

and 1 more site!
Hostel Pousada Ecoverde
Ranked #1 of 90 Specialty Lodging in Cuiaba
Oakland, California
“You Can't Go Wrong With Pousada Ecoverde”
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I booked Pouseda Ecoverde after reading Lonely Planet. It turned out that TripAdvisor also recommended the Pouseda and Joel's tours. It is a very pleasant place to stay. The rooms are simple but clean. The breakfast was fresh and good,eaten in the lovely garden area.Joel had people both pick me up and return me to the airport, without extra charge.Joel is a very nice man with a ton of patience, considering all the questions I kept asking him!
Best of all, my trip to the Pantanal was outstanding. My guide Luiz and driver Junior were both terrific. I saw an incredible amount of wildlife.The canoe rides, horse back riding and hiking were all great. (Make sure to bring good shoes. I brought rain boots and they were perfect for riding and walking.) The two pousedas I stayed in were in lovely locations.The food was good in both pousedas as well.
Just one more mention of Joel's pouseda. It is a very unusual construction, with half the building without walls in the middle, so there are concrete walkways within the structure. I, myself, never saw his dogs do anything unprofessional but, if they ever did, it would have been in an outside area and not an inside area(as another trip advisor review claimed)!

Room Tip: I had the room closet to outside entrance. It was fine for me since it was near to one of the bathro...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Yokneam Moshava, Israel
Reviewed July 7, 2013

I stayed in Ecoverde for one night on my way to the pantanal and I must say I can't complain. The hostel has a unique vibe with the record collection and player, Breakfast was good and all in all my stay was pleasant. Joel and his son were very nice to me and even though I didn't go on one of Joel's tours he was very friendly, and being able to speak English in Brazil is definitely a plus!

Granada
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I enjoyed Pousada Ecoverde very much. Didn't make it to Pantanal, but I did travel to another national park with some advice from one of Joel's guides (who, incidentally, also gave me a ride to the bus station without asking for anything in return). Joel and his family are kind and helpful, and I truly appreciated being able to speak in my native tongue after floundering around in Portuguese and Spanish for so long! The rooms are tidy, the bathrooms are cleaned often, and hammocks are everywhere. The courtyards are strewn with books, records, and record players, which lends Ecoverde a very quaint vibe. Breakfast is included and yummy!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled solo
Reviewed June 23, 2013

I'm a traveller from switzerland whos been travelling through brazil for 2 month now. So far this was one of the best places to stay and definitely the best value for money. The breakfast was better then some i had in very expensive hotels. What i love so much about brazil is that you'll always meet people who'll try to show you the best of their amazing country by helping and advising you without thinking of their own profits. Joel is one of them and i'm glad i ve met him.
The two friendly playful dogs ad to the pleasant family atmosphere. I never heard one of them bark, and i can't imagine how you could be annoyed of them unless youre a doghater. The sex shop across the street could come in handy.
The neighbourhood apeared to be very safe. When i arrived round midnight after a 30 hours busride, hungry as hell joel sent me down the street to that restaurant at the corner where i was promptly invited for a beer by some locals who where having a birthdayparty. I really don't know what more you could expect from a perfect place to stay in a rural city.

Reviewed June 21, 2013

This was my first place to stay when I arrived in Cuiaba. After four connecting flights and Portuguese I learned on the plane, I was very relieved to arrive at the hostel. Joel had even sent a car for me to the airport when I emailed him that day inquiring about staying there. Joel gave me a room at an excellent price and helped me tremendously with getting around the city, etc. Joel is also an excellent naturalist and told me all about the types of birds in the lush garden in back.

I was a bit concerned about the street, but it felt very safe. The hostel is a nice oasis in the city. The courtyard was a great place to meet fellow travelers and the breakfast in the morning further solidified the family feel.

Best of all, it is a bargin. I would definitely go back. What a wonderful first impression of Brasil for me.

Melbourne, Australia
Reviewed June 16, 2013

The Pousada is the best value for money by far. The best part about it is the friendliness and hospitality extended by Joel and his son Lauro. The place has character, hammocks, table-tennis and is a great platform to meet other travellers and exchange experiences. In terms of tours into the Pantanal, you can't get a better deal than through Joel Souza. Many travellers might opt for a slightly higher level of luxury and end up paying more than twice as much. One of the biggest plus points is someone who doesn't know a word of Portuguese can come here and be able to communicate with ease as they speak fluent English (this is one of the biggest hiccups for an English speaker in Brazil). They're more than helpful in organising things for you wether or not they have any vested interest in it e.g.: Lauro showed us the best places to eat, translated the menu and took time out to take us to a number of ATMS when we had card issues. We had a really great time here and for the money we spent it was an absolute bargain.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed June 14, 2013

On arrival - don`t let the narrow street and nearby sex shop misguide you, the area is incredibly friendly, safe and in a perfect location for the old town center.

Pluses:
- a beautiful hostel, influenced by music, antique radios and other objects, beautiful plants, and sweet animals (an eco-tourists/animal-lovers perfect hostel)
- friendly, homely and generous staff - its run by a family who would do anything to make your stay comfortable and so you can get what you want out of it
- unlimited free access to the internet (computer and wifi), Kitchen, and laundry facilities
- huge and delicious breakfast included
- prime location
- information provided by the family about the surrounding area
- great value for money (we even got accommodation free/included in the price of our Pantanal tour)

Only negatives:
- Kitchen could be a bit cleaner

In conclusion, the perfect hostel for anyone visiting Cuiaba, and especially those wanting to explore the Pantanal from here.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple