The weather in El Chalten is very capricious and seeing Fitz Roy very much depends on this.
We took a van from our hostel to El Pilar Hosteria and started our hike from there. I would highly recommend this - you get views of the Piedras Blancas Glacier from this and the return is a different path.
We started off with an overcast day and it also snowed for a bit. We gave up all hope of seeing the mountains . Once we reached Laguna de los tres, we hung out for a while. slowly the weather started changing and we were awarded with gorgeous views.
I would recommend the following :
- Be prepared to spend a few hours at the base. The weather can change in minutes. Some people who hiked with us left and they missed out on the views.
- Take the alternate route from El Pilar Hosteria. Ask your hostel to arrange for the bus. There are three timings that the buses ply.
- Don't carry too much water , like other places, there are streams you can fill it up . But these water sources start a few miles in. Carry enough for that initial distance.
- Hiking Poles : The return is all a big downhill , and if you want to go easy on your knees, do carry some hiking poles
- Climb up a bit more on the hillock and see Laguna Sucia . It is spectacular.