“Bad Experience with unmotivated staff. Wasted morning in Fenwick.”

Shark's Cove Marina
Reviewed August 12, 2012

My family decided to book a parasailing trip at Shark's Cove because our kids wanted to try parasailing. Here is a detailed account of our recent negative experience with Shark's Cove in August 2012.

As suggested, we made a reservation 48 hours in advance. We used our credit card to make the reservation. We should have known to stay away as soon as the female employee asked if October was the 10th month of the year while copying down our credit card expiration date.

As required, we arrived 15 minutes early on the day of our scheduled parasailing trip. We signed the releases, paid the stated parasailing fee (per person), as well as a $30 picture fee & were prepared to leave the requested additional $10 tip (per person) for the captain & mate.

As requested by the female staffer, we waited patiently by the dock for the parasailing boat to arrive. After a 45 minute wait, we inquired when the parasailing boat would show up. The girl that swiped our credit card told us she had forgotten to call the shuttle boat to pick us up.

After an additional 30 minute wait, we were ready to leave. After a second inquiry & another call to the shuttle, the shuttle finally showed up. We got in the shuttle and set off for the Assawoman Bay to meet up with the Parasailing Boat. (It appears that both Shark's Cove & Action Marina sell tickets to the same parasailing adventure. A small shuttle boat picks up people at Action as well as Shark's Cove. They then deliver you to the parasailing boat in the Bay.)

Once we met up with the Parasailing boat it was apparent that we would not be parasailing. A bad storm from the west was heading straight towards Fenwick Island and I agreed with the captain's decision to head back to the dock.

We got back to the dock 2 hours & 15 minutes after our initial arrival at Shark's Cove. The kids were soaking wet and miserable since they never got to parasail. Shark's Cove was willing to reschedule our parasailing trip at full price but we smartly took the refund and will not be back.

My frustration is with the staffers at Shark's Cove. If the desk girl had just done her job & radioed the shuttle when we arrived, my kids would have probably had a great time parasailing and we would have been finished way before the storm.

Instead, in my opinion, this is another example of a low energy employee wrecking what should have been a good time for my family.

I highly recommend paying the Maryland sales tax and driving the short distance to Ocean City, MD for all future parasailing & jet ski rentals. Learn from our experience. Don't give this Delaware business & their employees the opportunity to waste your time.

4  Thank chucktown7
in 8 reviews
in 3 reviews
in 4 reviews

Reviewed August 1, 2012

I come to the beach for a week every summer with friends and family and I've always wanted to rent a boat and go explore the bay and fish. I have never driven a boat and only been on a cruise ship so I was hesitant at first to give it a try. I contacted a number of rental agency's in the area with questions about price, easy of use, and location. Sharks Cove was the only location who took the time to explain everything to me over the phone. Most other locations gave me a price and tried to book a time as soon as possible. I felt rushed and pressured at other locations but not with Sharks Cove. I booked a boat for a 4 hour rental and arrived to the marina 30 minutes early. They were running ahead of schedule so I was able to actually get on my boat and load it up 15 minutes prior to my scheduled departure. I was given full instructions and was surprised how easy it was to drive the pontoon boat. We spent a fun day out on the water fishing under the large bridge in the middle of the bay. We got back to the dock and paid for our gas and were on our way. It was a lot of fun and a huge confidence builder for me to do it again. Thanks again to Sharks Cove we will see you again next year.....maybe even on the parasail boat!

2  Thank leeroyjenkins36
Reviewed August 1, 2012

Never before in my life have I been to a marina that wasn't open by 7am. Got there and waited around for about a half hour and no one showed. Called both phone lines, no answer. And this was in the middle of the week.

Not sure what kind of marina they're trying to sell theirself as, but I definitely won't be going back.

1  Thank Macaroni R
Reviewed July 31, 2012

I have done about every water related activity Shark's Cove has to offer, and cannot say enough good things about them. Parasailing with Capt Mark or Capt Jeff is super relaxing and a fun boat ride to boot (do it early morning to avoid mid-day heat, higher winds and possible thunderstorms). The pontoon rental boats are practically brand new, and are in excellent condition, they lead to great times on the water cruising, swimming, picnicing, partying or exploring. The new Yamaha jet-skis are nice, but wish they still had Sea-doo rentals. The entire staff is always very helpful and the business is small and family owned; they will take care of you!