“excellent food”
Review of Fenwick Crabhouse

Fenwick Crabhouse
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner
Description: Notably the last restaurant on Coastal Highway in Fenwick Island, Delaware before entering Ocean City, Maryland, Delaware may have saved the best for last. The award winning Fenwick Crabhouse has been an icon in the resort for almost 50 years. Though being named a "favorite seafood dive in the US" for an unprecedented fourth straight year by Coastal Living Magazine, the Fenwick Crabhouse is hardly a dive. While the atmosphere is casual, they have an appealing menu of carefully prepared meals catering to a variety of tastes. You will find great wines, craft beers, their hallmark "The Perfect Crab cake" (NY Times), Delaware Magazine's 2011 "Best Ribs," and of course, those wonderful steamed crabs. Their mission is to provide a unique blend of creatively prepared dishes using fresh, locally grown foods and award-winning beverages to the table. The Fenwick Crabhouse is a seasonal restaurant off-season hours change before Memorial Day and after Labor Day. Call for hours.
Reviewed May 25, 2014

For those who think crab cakes are mostly filler, please think again. These crab cakes are succulent crab. The scallop appetizer was recommended, and well worth it, especially with our coupon off. My husband had the tuna with Cajun seasoning and rice--so tasty! When you arrive, you receive a small bowl of spreadable cheese flavored with horseradish. We found the food, service, and beverages good quality, with a nice selection.

Reviewed May 17, 2014

If we are in the mood for great crab cakes or any other item on their menu, we have never been disappointed. Every time we have visit Ocean City over the last 10+ years, we always eat at the Fenwick Crabhouse at least once. Other restaurants we frequent have changed over the years, but the Fenwick Crabhouse has always been excellent. When we are not in the area, I crave their crab cakes (particularly since they pale in comparison, to any others that we have tried at any other restaurant).

Reviewed May 5, 2014

We frequented FCH all last Summer and Fall. Every time we went we had great food and outstanding service. The imperial crab is to die for and the mixed veggies are always good.
We just went on May 4 and they did not disappoint! I had the seafood lasagna which was heavenly and a meal for two! They give you a very generous portion. It was loaded with large shrimp, scallops with crab meat. Very, very good. My husband had the fried flounder special and he loved it. He got a side of their special potatoes. The coconut bread pudding is so good you wish you could order and eat two of them!
They do have specials and they are always very good and worth a try.

Reviewed May 4, 2014

We had the best time and food, crabcakes, crab dip, seafood stone pie, my son had a Big Angus hamburger, my friend had fried chicken was great, she also said that the onion rings were the best ever! We all had a Great time with Great mint julips, fun place to watch the Kentucky Derby!

Thanks for a Great time

Reviewed April 20, 2014

I had not been to FCH for several years and went the other night at the request of some friends so looked forward to trying it again. Unfortunately, the experience was not good.

In the restaurants defense, they had just recently opened up for the season however, considering the very high price they charge compared to others, I really expected better food and service than we received.

In looking at the menu, I was somewhat shocked at the prices (high for the area) and it did not include any budget conscious items (no entrees under $20). Most restaurants in the area have learned to offer a wider variety of value choices.

As we are somewhat on a limited budget, we decided to order an appetizer and salad which would have been fine. We both ordered different appetizers and salads but, when they came out, we both got the same items. The waitress offered to take it back but, since it was late in the evening, I was willing to bring what she brought rather than waste the food. We both ended up with steamed mussels and Caesar Salad. The portion size of the mussels was fine however there were several not opened (not fully steamed or alive). At first we thought the sauce was great however, by the time we finished, the sauce seemed to have a bitter taste. Not sure what the seasoning was but it obviously changed the character of the sauce as it set.

The Caesar salad was disappointing in both portion size and quality. Large dried out croutons (obviously not home made). We did not feel it was worth the price.

Our friends seemed to have a better experience however one of the appetizers was disappointing (a tempura asparagus and brie). They had the crab soups which appeared to be chucked full of crab but was a very small cup for the price. They also had the crab legs which appeared to be a good size portion and they were satisfied with the quality.

When it came time for the bill, I thought they might charge me for the cheaper food which I originally ordered. Instead, I was charged for an extra beer that was part of the other groups order. Another service disappointment.

My overall opinion is that FCH will continue to do well as it is a mainstay for the Fenwick Island area however as far a recommending it to friends and guests, it falls into the category of "there are much better values" in the Fenwick Island area.