“not as good as henelopen” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of Fenwick Island State Park

Fenwick Island State Park
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 12 helpful votes
“not as good as henelopen”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 24, 2012

much more like DE Seashore State Park, the only good thing is the proximity of the 4x4 beach to the regular parking lot and the accessibility of facilities to the 4x4 beach

Visited September 2012
2 Thank Anywherebuthome21666

Pennsylvania
180 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 226 helpful votes
“Nature interfered with our day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2012

First of all, it was our first time in Fenwick Island. We arrived there early (9a.m.). We paid $8.00 for out of state and found plenty of parking. The weather was going to be nice. As soon as we were unpacking in the parking lot a couple parked next to us said "The flies are bad" and left. I did not pay much attention and unpacked everything and then went to the beach. As soon as we chose a place to stay, the flies started coming to us, they target your legs, ankles and feet. They are thousands of them. A local approached us and said that the West wind brings flies from the swamps to the beach and when the North wind comes the flies will go away. Well, the North wind never came and we suffered from bites over and over again.

I sent my husband to the pharmacy to buy a mosquito repellent and a newspaper to use as a flyswatter. While he was gone, the flyes were merciless with me. They kept coming sometimes I had 3 in one spot biting me and it hurts. I used a magazine to kill them but they kept coming. Other were covering their legs with towels or getting close to the water. I got close to the water but they were still after me (not as many as when I was on the sand). Everywhere I looked I saw people being annoyed by these flies. All the time I kept thinking about the wind change, I asked a lifeguard and he told me the same as the local that we have to wait for the wind to change which can happen anytime. The lifeguard mentioned that that particular day was bad but is not like that everyday. So we just chose the wrong beach to go that day.
My husband returned with the repellent but it did not work as expected. The flies were still there. We left shortly after as others did, the light rain and the flies ruined our day.

We went to Rehoboth for a short time and did not see any flies there. I wished we could have chosen Rehoboth for our beach day.

The beach is nice and clean, the only problem was the flies. So if you go be prepared and armed.

Visited September 2012
7 Thank teresa3000
Springfield, Pennsylvania
38 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 44 helpful votes
“Great Beach Resort”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

This beach resort is small, however it is located is such a great place. You are minutes away from Ocean City, MD and a short drive away from Bethany Beach and Rehoboth Beach. The beach in Fenwick Island is wonderful...there are also many shops and stores close by and also a State Park with a public beach and bathhouse. A great option to staying in Ocean City, MD.

4 Thank FunPlacesToCheckOut
Arlington, Virginia
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Great day on the bay”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 31, 2012

We rented a nice pontoon boat for a couple hours. The price was fair and the service was pleasant. No hassle. We forgot to bring bate, wish they had some there for sale, but they had recommendations where to get that stuff.

1 Thank 4inourfam
New Market, Maryland
20 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 67 helpful votes
“Great place to spend the day”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2012

For years we have enjoyed Fenwick Island Sate Park on an annual basis. It is a perfect spot to take the family to the beach for the day. It offers restrooms, hot showers, snack bar, and a perfect beach experience. The parking is within yards of where you will spend the day so no need to feel like you have to drag everything to the beach at once. Things you might not need can be left in the car and still be near by if you need them. No need to put sandy kids in the car when there is a hot shower and changing rooms for your use before you start your trip home. The beach is Ocean City quality with plenty of trained lifeguards keeping a close eye on the little ones.

4 Thank KevinJ3